Roll to Dodge: Zombie Apocalypse!

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Roll to Dodge: Zombie Apocalypse!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Packbat and I are co-modding a Roll to Dodge game based on an apocalypse of zombies (hence the name of the thread). /in in this thread and send both me and Packbat PMs with your choice of role. It will have some effect on your gameplay, but you can't give yourself any abilities. Make it specific, too. Something like "a college student" is too generic for us to make good RPG elements. "A college chemistry major who is good with technology" is much better. Once we have six players with accepted roles, we'll start. There will be two-day deadlines to keep the game moving. We're allowing V/LA within reason, as this could be a long game. If you aren't in one of the first six players, PM me and Packbat and we'll add you to the wait list. Rules are below the sign-up.

Edit: We have six players now, and the game will start as soon as we get everyone's role. If you want to be a replacement, PM me and Packbat with your role and anything you want secret about it. First come, first serve basis.

Alive and (mostly) well:

jmj3000-
a network analyst, who spends most of his free time playing video games on his wii and kinect, so he is not out of shape.
Mist7676
- a young girl that is smart in all things botany.
theamatuer
- secret assassin guy. Can kill with anything I can hold in my hands and expert in hand-to-hand and weapons; has shurikens
Katty Bard-
a clumsy waitress who is good with puzzles and runs really fast.
JDGA-
a young-ish (21?) physicist that also plays chess a fair bit, so he's good with numbers and problem-solving
izakthegoomba-
a 7-foot [tall] ex-military guy. Very strong, fairly intelligent, and ruthless. Carries a handgun firing hollow-point shells.
AcRv-
Escaped mental institution during the apocalypse and is trying to get back to the parallel universe he comes from; nobody knows if he's actually from a parallel universe or if is actually insane; has a jacket with lots of pockets, a journal, and a deck of cards.

Suffering from a mild case of zombies

gandalf5166
drmyshottyizsik (sorta)
Xalxe
Reecer6
Xalxe's bobcat
Kcdaspot
Klazam
mb53
Tragedy
animorpherv1
CSL

Waiting List

drmyshottyizsik- a 24 year old archery champion and I carry a cross bow and a one hand sword on my back
Charon34-a 25-year old Jeet Kune Do practitioner with 7 years experience in the art. He's very fit, flexible and agile and prefers bladed weapons which he is very rehearsed in (from knives-Tantō-Hook Swords) and carries a wakizashi with him at all times in a sheath tied to his waist. He's looking for his family (wife and daughter) on the other side of town who he has been in contact with through his cell-phone. He is quick witted and can keep cool under pressure. Problem is, he can be forgetful and he JUST moved to this town so doesn't know his way around very well.
Seeker99-An in-shape field medic, who has a somewhat large general-use medical bag stored in hyperspace, along with two standard pistols.
And a
Chuck Norris
Swiss Army knife.

Roll to Dodge!

Roll to Dodge is a fun roleplaying-esque game for a group of 6 people plus us, the mods. A bit like Dungeons and Dragons, but very simplified. You will be placed in a certain scenario, and you (may) be given a certain objective. Now here's the catch: for nearly every action you make, a die will determine the outcome.

The numbers on the six sided die are marked as follows:
1) Epic fail
2) Kinda fail
3) Kinda success
4) Success
5) Perfect success
6) Overshoot

For example, say Jack wants to jump over a wooden fence. Here are three examples of what might happen, given different rolls.

1. Jack tries to jump the wooden fence, but trips over his shoelace and smashes his face through it, breaking his nose.
2. Jack tries to jump the fence, but stumbles and slams into it, staggering back unhurt.
3. Jack jumps the fence, but his foot gets caught on the top and he faceplants on the other side, one leg hanging in the air.
4. Jack jumps the fence, and lands safely on the other side.
5. Jack jumps the fence cleanly, landing in a roll and keeping his forward momentum to continue running.
6. Jack clears the fence by a wide margin, flying another five feet to slam head-on into a tree on the other side, breaking his nose.

When multiple players' actions interact ... the dice will be rolled exactly the same way as before for each action, and the conflicts will be resolved however we like. (Mua-ha-ha!)

Rules!

Only six (6) people may play at a time. Spots are filled on a first come first served basis, but if you did not make it in time, we can still add you to the waiting list.
To keep this game moving at a good pace, after the actions from the last round are resolved, there will be a 2 day deadline for all players to take their turns. If you miss one deadline, your character will do nothing (except as below). If you miss two deadlines in a row or three overall, you will be removed from the game and the first person on the waiting list will take your spot. We will allow V/LA absences within reason - please discuss with us if you expect to be without access for an extended period.
This game will use the declare system. To declare an action, post "Action: your action" in bold face. (For example: "Action: Shoot the lock.") To take back a declared action, post "Undo Action: the action being undone".
When everyone's move has been declared or the deadline is reached, we will announce the turn has ended in-thread. Then the dice will be rolled for all actions and results determined and posted.
We will only count the first action you posted that you haven't undoed before we call turn ends. Exceptions will be allowed only for minor actions (looking around, talking, etc.) or at our discretion - we will let you know if your selected actions are permissible.
If you do post multiple actions, we will only execute the first, but (1) we will keep in mind your plan when evaluating success and (2) if you miss posting the next turn, we'll go ahead and perform your second action (if it still makes sense). Thus, if you ask to, "Jump the fence, then punch the guy in the face", we will only roll on the "Jump the fence" action, but on a 5 you may end up being able to hit the guy anyway.
You may post almost any action you desire. If you want to attempt to harness the power to fly or spontaneously grow a third arm, you can do so. You may not god-mod and ruin the fun for everyone, however - we reserve the right to veto and the right to force-replace for actions along these lines.
You may kill or be killed by players or your actions, so be careful. Note, however, that if you attempt to kill another player early in the game and fail, the reaction from your fellow players might not be entirely positive. Note also that attempting to do something stupid (e.g. "Jump into the volcano") can lead to a very funny death.
A final right we reserve is to add modifiers to rolls depending on circumstances. For example, if you are running on a broken leg, we might put an automatic -2; if you are attacking an ant with a bazooka, we might use an automatic +2. Rolls which are less than 1 or more than 6 after modifiers will have very interesting consequences!

On rare occasions, players will be allowed special bonuses under precisely defined circumstances. On actions where these special bonuses are ruled to be in effect (and this ruling shall be strictly at the moderator's discretion), the player will automatically reroll a 1 or a 6. (If they get a 1 or 6 on the reroll, however, the action stands, so be careful!)

Startup

After we post these rules and the setup flavor post, all players will receive PMs notifying them that the game has begun. Each player will then need to confirm in the thread.
In each confirmation post, the player must describe the character they will be playing in the thread for the benefits of the mods and other players. (If you want your player to have hidden characteristics - for example, "I'm secretly an FBI agent working undercover as an addict" - PM the mods first, and we'll work it out.)
Any player who does not confirm within two days will be replaced.
Any player whose character description is overly vague will be asked to clarify.
After all players have confirmed, the mods will post the opening scene and the game will start.

I think that's everything you need to know so far. So lets get this show on the road!
Last edited by theplague42 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 53 times in total.
Part of the problem.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Post by Xalxe »

/ininininininin
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

/in
a college math major who is quite oblivious to almost everything that goes on around him.
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Ummm sorry chess but now you're going to have to pick another one. They're supposed to be secret :shifty:
Part of the problem.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Post by Xalxe »

He'll still pick the same one.

WIFOM!!!
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Actually, I made a mistake. Put normal roles in the thread. Everyone will know. If you want to have any surprises or skeletons, PM any secret stuff, with any "cover IDs" in the thread. Sorry Xalxe for misinforming you earlier and chess for just now.
Part of the problem.
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Cybele did one of these a while back. Here it is. He ended up abandoning it though. /in
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

so I dont have to make a new one?
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Post by Xalxe »

Oh, OK then.

Well, I am a trenchcoat-clad, fedora-wearing enigmatic figure.

Yeah. That's all plague got too. He's probably peeved :P
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

/in for sure
#freeShotty
Reecer6
Reecer6
Goon
Reecer6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Post by Reecer6 »

/in SO MUCH.

I'll be a stand-up comedian with a mohawk and love for pillows.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Post by theplague42 »

@chess
Nope. You're good to go.

@Xalxe
Aaarrrggghhh!

@drmywhatsyourface and jmj3000
Good to have you. What are your roles? PM secret stuff.

@Reecer6
Pillows and zombies. Classic.

PMing gandalf now, and we can start once he confirms.
Part of the problem.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Xalxe »

theplague42 wrote: @Xalxe
Aaarrrggghhh!
Hey, I could have chosen a mash-up of some of my favorite XKCD characters, but that'd be pandering to the mod a bit.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Pre-game mod action: Xalxe gets a pet bobcat.
Part of the problem.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

I am a 27-year old ex-military(Special Forces) with an IQ of 173, and I am particularly good with machines and computers. I am fairly built, with blond buzz-cut hair. I am dressed in a white undershirt with no sleeves and jeans, and I carry a handgun.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

OH GOD /IN
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

A athletic person who is good at parkour. uses logic well.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Post by theplague42 »

@Gandalf
I'm not sure if we're allowing weapons in roles. I'll PM Packbat and we'll work something out either way.

@Kcdaspot
Sorry but we've reached six players. I'll put you in for the first replacement, though.

The game will start once Packbat PM's me back. He has the starter story so he'll post as soon as he's back.
Part of the problem.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

lets all gang up on gandalf for being a jerk and making himself smart and buff
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Also, we need to wait for jmj and drmy's roles. BTW, the better you make yourself in the beginning, the more you have to lose :shifty:
Part of the problem.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

sweet I have nothing to lose
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 pm

gandalf5166 wrote:I am a 27-year old ex-military(Special Forces) with an IQ of 173, and I am particularly good with machines and computers. I am fairly built, with blond buzz-cut hair. I am dressed in a white undershirt with no sleeves and jeans, and I carry a handgun.
me to, but the only guns I need are on my arms *flexes*
#freeShotty
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by theplague42 »

drmyshottyizsik wrote:
gandalf5166 wrote:I am a 27-year old ex-military(Special Forces) with an IQ of 173, and I am particularly good with machines and computers. I am fairly built, with blond buzz-cut hair. I am dressed in a white undershirt with no sleeves and jeans, and I carry a handgun.
Hmm not allowed sorry. Make it original! Maybe MMA fighter, instead? We need a wide variety of people. In that chain of thought, everyone stay true to your character :D

Note for starting roles: we will take into account your role when deciding succeses both in flavor and power. Flavor is self-explanatory. For power, if you're weak, you're more likely to get good stuff (not by dice rolls, but by us mods interpreting the rolls). If you're strong, your low rolls will be much worse. And some insane powers may have side-effects. An IQ of 174 may make it that the other players can't understand your vocabulary.
Part of the problem.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:31 pm

I was simply trying to make fun and one up Gandalf! :p
#freeShotty
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

theplague42 wrote:
drmyshottyizsik wrote:
Hmm not allowed sorry. Make it original! Maybe MMA fighter, instead? We need a wide variety of people. In that chain of thought, everyone stay true to your character :D

Note for starting roles: we will take into account your role when deciding succeses both in flavor and power. Flavor is self-explanatory. For power, if you're weak, you're more likely to get good stuff (not by dice rolls, but by us mods interpreting the rolls). If you're strong, your low rolls will be much worse. And some insane powers may have side-effects. An IQ of 174 may make it that the other players can't understand your vocabulary.
math majors are smart
but WEAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
and akward
and uncoordinated

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”