Dwarf Fortress Sucession! 3rd Year, it's KcdaSpot's turn!

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Dwarf Fortress Sucession! 3rd Year, it's KcdaSpot's turn!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Post by Claus »

This is the MafiaScum Dwarf Fortress sucession game.

Since this is our first one, the terrain is a pretty basic one, no nasty surprises there (there is an aquifer somewhere in the left side of the map, but the right side is dry limestone, so no need to breach the aquifer).

The rules are simple, when it comes your turn, you play for one year (from spring to spring), and post the save. I will upload the maps to DFMA for historical purposes :-) Don't worry about messing things up, as long as you don't _purposely_ destroy the fort, it should be fine. After everyone had a turn, I will go back to the beginning of the list. New players can be added at the end of the list anytime they wish. When your turn comes, you have a week to send back the save. But please try to do it faster, and if you get suddenly busy, let us know so we can skip your turn.

List of players:
- Claus - Turn Complete!
- Nikanor - Turn Complete!
- KcdaSpot
- Knight of Cydonia
- Ultima Avalon
- Drench
Again, if you want to join, just post here, and we'll add you at the end of the list :-D
Last edited by Claus on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Post by Claus »

Nothing really noteworthy happened in my turn. I set up farms, built a dining hall, dug a bunch of levels to try and find out where the cavern is, and made two sets of steel armor for our early militia. I claimed the original woodcutter/axedwarf, named him "grunf", put him in the militia and gave him a nice room/tomb. The diagnoser hates everyone.

The map is pretty safe. Water freezes late fall, and unfreezes just before summer. No weird critters.

There is a rock outcropping in the center right of the map that should be used for something glorious.

Strike the earth! Nikanor, your turn!

====================

Savefile: http://claus.castelodelego.org/df-ms/region2.rar
Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10014-shipfist

Log:
The position of Zuglardur was perfect for a new outpost. The mountain faced a thick temperate forest - there would be no shortage of fuel until magma was found.

The dwarves arrived under a snowstorm, and quickly dug a small cave from a natural entrance in the rock. Lots of iron ore, coal and flux was found. After securing their quarters, they began digging the first great hall of Zuglardur, as the snow started to melt.

Reg Ablelarking, the medic, was busy making enemies. She had a grudge with both the Leader of the Guard and one of the Miners.

As the summer melted away the last of the frozen lakes, the dwarves started digging a farming area. During that time, the first wave of immigrants arrived. A glassmaker (who called himself a dyer), a Jeweler (who called himself an animal trainer), a fighter (who called himself a milker), a Lye Maker (who didn't have any useful skill and was turned into a furnace operator), another useless Dyer (who became a farmhand) and a weaponsmith.

The weaponsmith started to organize a smelting operation to prepare some sets of steel weapons and armor, and form a military. Grunf, one of the original dwarves, and the milker volunteered.

Soon fall came, and the lakes became frozen again. The dwarves started digging a shaft downwards, in hopes of eventually finding magma, which would be necessary for any sort of efficient smithing operation.

Mid-fall, another wave of migrants arrived: A carpenter, a brewer, a mason, a Butcher, a stone crafter, and a Gem Setter.

The caravan arrived with a snowstorm in their backs. They brought much needed supplies, since the food stocks were low (but the booze was at an all-time high!). Winter went mostly silent - militia trained, miners dug, and the dwarves had some free time to meet each other.

... the calm before the storm!
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Post by Drench »

Drench wrote:Okay, fine, /in, but I reserve the right to demand you disregard my save.
join your union
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

/in as a total failure of a ruler.
Show
DizzyIzzyB13: For the record, I /ghooked Cogitate :p
ChannelDelibird: Well, for the record, FUCK YOU
ChannelDelibird: ;_;
DizzyIzzyB13: Cogitate is shorter. :(
DizzyIzzyB13: Sorry, CD
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:36 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Voting that we keep going until the wheels falls off and the fort crumbles. No quitting/abandoning period.

Also: We
NEED
A Housing sector.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 am

Post by Claus »

Kcdaspot wrote:Also: We
NEED
A Housing sector.
But the snow outside is so soft and comfortable! :-D

Also, MY dorf has a house... >_> <_<
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:21 am

Post by Knight of Cydonia »

I /in'd in the old thread.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Claus wrote:
Kcdaspot wrote:Also: We
NEED
A Housing sector.
But the snow outside is so soft and comfortable! :-D

Also, MY dorf has a house... >_> <_<
what about the rest of em?

Just dig down and make rooms.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by Claus »

Ooops, sorry KoC. Updated player list (also included Drench and Izzie)
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Post by Nikanor »

My turn! I'll be working on it tonight, but keep in mind that I'll probably be limited to like 40 FPS so yeah.
I hope nobody minds a little RP. :)
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

I don't mind :) Make sure that you give out rooms
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

/out, actually. I'm just too awful at this game. Also, there is no ie in Izzy.
Show
DizzyIzzyB13: For the record, I /ghooked Cogitate :p
ChannelDelibird: Well, for the record, FUCK YOU
ChannelDelibird: ;_;
DizzyIzzyB13: Cogitate is shorter. :(
DizzyIzzyB13: Sorry, CD
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

Dizzy: There is no such thing as being bad or a noob at this game. the only way to do that is to quit outright and even then you won't be badmouthed about it.

Its okay if you want to "/out" just play around with the game and try to get a idea of what you're doing be sure to check the links I posted in the other thread!!
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 am

Post by Nikanor »

The Journal of Nikki Luritathel, year 502.

Granite 1

Today is the day. Today I arrive at the home of my dreams. I have heard much of the wealth of Shipfist, and even then the heralds say that they cannot do the place its justice. The magnificence of its statues are without peer. The magnificence of its women are likewise without peer. I cannot wait to sit in the no doubt resplendant dining hall for a goblet of ale with my wife-to-be. This upcoming year will be the easiest of my life, I am sure of it.

Granite 2

Soooo, I'm not sure what to say about Shipfist. I mean, it's nice and all, but still. I guess the rough floors do give the place a
homely
homey feel.
Anyway, the first thing I noticed was right as I was walking into the fortress. Namely, that I walked into the fortress. I just walked through the trade depot that apparently doubles as a front gate, and I'm in. Nobody even asked me my name! I'm sure that I wouldn't have been noticed even if I had been wearing the skin of an elf! I'm not sure what the last leader was thinking when he retired to become the leader of the militia with no physical defenses whatsoever, but I know that I will not sleep a day without building at least some defenses, and I certainly will not be opening a rear door when our front door is wide open!

Granite 11

While I was doing my arithmatic homework today, one of my workers came to me with a complaint. Apparently we have no logs. My first question is why we don't have any logs when there is a forest outside. My second question is why I'm living with a bunch of pansy elves.

Slate 12

Preliminary defenses are complete. I have constructed a few small cage traps to capture any wandering goblins or dragons, and a drawbridge for extra defense. Hopefully that will keep me - I mean, us - safe for now.

slate 17

Some migrants have arrived! Finally, some new people to chat with. As I meet with them at the trade depot, I see that none of them are actually useful in any way. Well, except for one dwarf, who claims to be a High Master Armorsmith, but I honestly doubt his skill.

Felsite 6

As the snow starts to melt, the new "High Master" armourer starts babbling about something. I should probably just have him executed but part of me longs for some action around here. I suppose I can sit back, watch and see what he comes up with.

Felsite 19

A caravan of elves has arrived! Now would be the perfect time to test out my new defenses. Unfortunately, the rest of the folk living here seem to disagree. Since I'm not too keen on the idea of being lynched by an angry mob today, I'll let them through.

Hematite 1

Finally, on the first day of summer, my armorsmith's long-awaited construction is complete! He has been mysterious about it all month, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I was wrong in doubting this High Master's skill at the forge. He has completed...
Ozkakkomut Etvuth Gerig, "Carrypoem the Scandal of Banks", an iron high boot. A single boot! And what a boot it is. It is even encircled with bands of iron! I thought it was impossible to so lavishly adorn an iron boot with nought but more iron, but by Armok's beard was I ever mistaken!
I should have had him killed before he wasted my time.

Hematite 4

Today my miners resumed digging down the old shaft that Grunf had started in hopes of finding some underground caverns. Well, as it turns out, the caverns were just one level away! The workers even found an underground river just beside the shaft, putting it in the perfect position for drinking water.
Of course, this can only mean more trap-building. Not that I mind that.

Hematite 23

On my way to the caverns today, I saw a small spider web in the corner. It shouldn't make me nervous, but it does. I'm not sure why.

Malachite 1

More migrants! I get ten working dwarfs this time. Half of them seem to specialize in smoothing stone, and the other half seem to specialize in standing around having fancy parties at fancy limestone tables. Just what I needed!

Galena 19

It's been a while. I've been down in the caverns for days, tearing down all the spider webs I can see. Sometimes days pass and I don't even realise it!
Anyway, a human caravan arrived today. They're probably going to bring nothing but useless bone-carved implements, but at least they're not elves.

Galena 28

I have finally finished my trading with the humans. I made off with some leather, some beer, and a LOT of jellyfish. Those damned jellyfish aren't so cocky now, are they?

Limestone 19

While I was off working in the caverns, Erush the stonecrafter came running up to me all excited-like. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me that nothing at all was wrong, and showed me the ugliest crown I've ever seen. He had made it out of hematite and adorned it with bands of limonite and spikes of hematite. He calls it, "Declineumbra the Disemboweled Organization". Seriously, this thing is worse than that stupid boot. Is there something about iron that makes these people want to craft magnificently absurd accessories out of it? If so, I can't say I share that feeling. All of these people are bloody insane. This is why I prefer to stay in the caverns with my webby friends.

Limestone 26

I saw a Draltha today! I chased him around for a bit. It was fun. I hope we can be friends.

Sandstone 2

More migrants have arrived! This time, not all of them are useless!
Just kidding, they're all useless.

Timber 23

The caravan from the mountainhome has come, but I don't think I'm going to meet with them. I'd much rather play with Ralph, my draltha friend. Isn't that right, Ralphie?

Obsidian 28

I've finished everything I set out to do. That was a lot of work! I think I'm going to take a nap now.

~~~~~

Okay yeah as you can probably tell I'm bloody tired right now. We're going to be hosting everything on Claus's server, correct?
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 am

Post by Claus »

I have no problem hosting it if you want to send me the files. Or you could put somewhere you want (like DFFD - dwarf fortress file depot) i you find it to be easier.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 am

Post by Nikanor »

Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 am

Post by Claus »

Heh, nice update. I'll mirror your savefile on my server, and put up the map on DFMA in a few minutes. So now we have a closed entrance, and no lack of rooms, but the next leader can certainly build a cemetery!
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:08 am

Post by Claus »

Okay, I have posted the map on dfma, and mirrored the save to my server:

Nikanor, feel free to post some Points of Interest in the DFMA map :-D if you need help with that let me know.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10022-shipfist
http://claus.castelodelego.org/df-ms/shipfist.zip

It's now kcdaspot turn! Strike the earth!
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Warning: this is my first succsession game... I just unzip it to the "save" folder right in "data"?
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:20 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Got booted... not bad..... I have to update the raws a bit... see I use the LNP, and I got mayday.

Done and done.. it'd be nice to have notes y'know. just saying.

Starting turn.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Journal of Obok "Kc D Spot" Agmeng

1st of Granite

I have arrived at a decent looking outpost called Shipfist. Being tasked as the overseer of this fort will be a challenge. I hope everything goes smoothly this year. Upon first inspection it was a remarkable thing. Everyone had a stockpile to pull from, workshops were numerous and everyone was in positive spirits. My first orders were to add a roof over the trading depot area so that others won't get caught in the snow, and a "cubby" project for the bedrooms.

2nd of Granite

The were some less than happy souls about... when asked it turns out that a miner died a rather unfortunate death... I'll have to commission a slab in their honor in the near future. This also meant that there was only one miner. I hastily got a team together. Hopefully the projects I asked for can get done quickly.

10th of Granite

I was checking the status of everything and finally noticed that we only had 2 dwarfs in our militia. TWO! I mean the traps and the bridges are fine but, only 2? I'll get started on recruiting right away!

More to come...
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Adding notes to tell you which levers do what is cheating. Just be grateful I only used one drawbridge this time. ;)
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Post by Claus »

Hmmmmm I foresee fun times ahead of nikanor's next turn :-P

And Kcda, they're only two dwarves, but they are clad in steel from head to toe! :-p

Nikanor, I meant to ask about that dead miner in the previous post but forgot, what happened? he fell while digging the well?
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by Nikanor »

I dug the well and built it without a hitch. That was in the spring. The only problem was that there was an underwater tree at the bottom where I built the well, so the well couldn't draw water. Of course, I didn't notice this until after I had dug my well shaft and built the well and everything. So I thought, "It's fine, I'll just dig under the tree!" Well, I ended up accidentally digging a normal path under the space where the underwater tree was instead of making an upward ramp. So that plan was ruined. So then I'm like, "It's fine, I'll just smash it with a bridge!" I tried that, and that didn't work. By now it's winter and I still haven't finished my tomb or the well. So I tell myself, "Fuck it, I'll just build a floor on the level below the well itself and collapse it, destroying the blasted tree once and for all." Unfortunately, I was unable to get my miner out of the shaft before the floor collapsed on top of him. It was a small sacrifice for a working well, however.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Post by Claus »

That's a very dwarfy story! :-D

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”