Newbie 1109: Paradise City (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Wed May 25, 2011 6:05 am

Post by illmatic »

/confirming role PM
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (isolation #1) » Fri May 27, 2011 10:39 am

Post by illmatic »

VOTE: Bulvious

Because he is the only one that hasn't yet posted after the confirmation stage

@Verydark: voting No Lynch so early is normally suspicious, but I'll let it slide since it seems like you were confused about RVS
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (isolation #2) » Sun May 29, 2011 6:39 am

Post by illmatic »

I've played a few games on other forums, but this is my first game on here

1) Are you excited to be here?
Yes, first game on here and I plan on playing here a lot

2) What's your opinion of policy lynches?
Townies that appear scummy and don't help should be lynched, because they just confuse the town and give the mafia an advantage

3) Is there any future V/La you're anticipating during this game?
Nothing right now

4) What's your favorite direction on a compass?
Wessst siiide!
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (isolation #3) » Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 am

Post by illmatic »

I'm here guys! Sorry for not being too active. I suppose I deserve the votes, but thanks for not hammering early, that would be a bad idea.

I find Bulvious most suspicious at this point, which is why I haven't yet removed my RVS vote off of him. He is asking people a lot of questions, which is not a bad thing but it seems like he is "fishing for tells" as Otolia put it.

Maziek - voting for Verydark after his No Lynch vote after it was obvious he was confused about it and people had already addressed him. It just seemed like the obvious safe vote for someone

Also suspicious of Isa. Mostly a gut feeling, but it's strange how he calls me out on not contributing anything when he has contributed as much in scum hunting.

Bulvious wrote:
@illmatic, the only people town should ever want to lynch is scum, in my book. "Cleaning the pool" is all well and good until it comes to LyLo and you don't really have any scum pinned down."

Maybe I should clarify my policy more. I'm not saying you should lynch scummy townies until Lynch or Lose, but If there is someone who is acting scummy and is being a distraction where everyone else is only talking about him and not actively scum hunting, then he should be lynched, even when people think he might be a townie who has made a mistake and appears scummy. If that is holding up the discussion all they day, then I think it's best to just lynch him and get it over with.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (isolation #4) » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 am

Post by illmatic »

Bulvious wrote:Ill, you're new so I can understand the confusion - I guess. Questions are never a bad thing. Fishing for tells is not a bad thing (unless I'm missing the meaning behind "fishing". To me, in this game, every interaction is a line cast out to catch scum - if that's scummy, then I guess I need to stop playing cos I aint doing it right.)

Asking questions aren't a bad thing, but I just found it a bit overdone the way you kept pushing pressure on Otolia. I've seen people do that and they find the smallest mistake in the response and call it a scum tell, and it leads to a townie being lynched.

Bulvious wrote:
Personally, I think you haven't taken your vote off of me because you find it convenient to point out what others already have, you're too lazy to search for a new person to place your vote on.
You've made 4 posts in the topic, one being a confirm. You've posted 3 times, 77 of the posts in this topic can be considered content (aka, outside of confirms, rofls, and mod posts). The average person will have contributed about 8-9 posts to the topic at this point (avg determined by content/players) So, you're well below the average - enough said, that was obvious.

So, you're suspicious of someone doing the job you're too lazy to do, your criticism of Maziek is fair, but is that really the only thing you can think of to say? Then you critisize Isa of posting as little as you, and he's at 7 posts (again, IF content was defined by not being confirm or mod posts). That's over twice what you have, and it seems like that is mostly OMGUS, "Wow, he said this of ME? LOOK AT HIM!" Yet he actually is a fair bit better than you, and granted he's below average as far as posting, he's close enough.

Number of posts doesn't mean anything. Someone can have a ton of posts without having done a lot of scum hunting. My accusation of Isa wasn't OMGUS, I just found it suspicious that he made that post at the time when people were starting to accuse me. It's pretty common for scum to lightly accuse someone who is being voted on.

And about my accusations, that's all I've got for now, those are just the people I find scummy right now in these 4 pages (3 not counting confirmations). It's still the beginning of Day 1 so there isn't much to go off of, so I don't know what kind of analysis you expect.

By the way, since I'm not familiar with this forum, is there a way you can check number of posts by people?
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (isolation #5) » Tue May 31, 2011 8:43 am

Post by illmatic »

}|{opa wrote:
@ illmatic Had you played mafia elsewhere?

Yeah, I've played a few games on a Zelda Dungeon.net, where mafia games are pretty popular. First game on here though.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (isolation #6) » Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 am

Post by illmatic »

EBWODP

}|{opa wrote:
Click on "Display posts by user" below VVV

Thanks. Clicking on "Activity Overview" on the bottom right displays number of posts

And another question, in these newbie games are we allowed to role claim or soft claim?
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (isolation #7) » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

Post by illmatic »

@Isa I haven't voted for you. My vote has been on Bulvious since RVS. You've definitely contributed more than me, I just found it suspicous that you hadn't done much scum hunting but you accused me of it around the time I was getting heat on me, yet at the same time you didn't vote for me.

Anyway, I was just sharing my thoughts on the 3 people who I currently find most suspicious, since I hadn't posted accusations on anyone yet. I'm not saying all three of you are definitely scum, but will keep my observations on you in mind

I'm not sure what to think of Verydark. I kind of brushed him off as a newbie townie after his No Vote, because he legitimately seemed confused about the RVS concept. So I'm not sure if his L-1 vote against me was scummy or if he didn’t understand the risk.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (isolation #8) » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 am

Post by illmatic »

I should also add that I probably won't be able to post tomorrow because I have finals. I will be back the following day though and be able to really focus on this. If I am lynched before then, then so be it. I am a townie though as you will see.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #112 (isolation #9) » Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 am

Post by illmatic »

Greenealogist wrote:
Illmatic:
Number of posts doesn't mean anything

Actually, in this case I think it does. Because you haven't been posting, you haven't been involved in the scumhunting, and so not helping the town. That comes across to me as if not scummy then certainly bad play. Furthermore, people who have posted many things have been scumhunting actively (case in point: Bulvious).

Agreed, in my case since I hadn't been posting much. But what I was trying to say was that you can't just look at the number of posts in a game and say that someone who has more posts means he has been scumhunting more. There are people who make large posts with a lot of content, and others who make many short posts 1 or 2 sentences long.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (isolation #10) » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 am

Post by illmatic »

Bulvious wrote:Are you kidding, Ill? What pressure was there? There wasn't a single vote on him from what I said - not even MY vote was on him. So how was he going to get lynched? There was no danger of it. You're being obtuse over something that's so plainly ridiculous.

Analysis? Jesus, no one expects you to do an ISO right now, but you can start by talking openly with people. The fact of the matter is, you didn't do any interacting with me to find out if I was scummy, you didn't even give a somewhat decent reason for it in any case. And Isa's wasn't a whole heck of a lot better.

To sum it up: Start hunting.

I assume your reacting to this post of mine:
illmatic wrote:
Asking questions aren't a bad thing, but I just found it a bit overdone the way you kept pushing pressure on Otolia. I've seen people do that and they find the smallest mistake in the response and call it a scum tell, and it leads to a townie being lynched.

You were pretty much interrogating him to the point where he got frustrated, that's what I mean by pressure. I never said he was in danger of getting lynched because of you, so not sure why you are overreacting.

Am I not allowed to post my thoughts about who I feel is scum? I just posted who I think was scummy after going through the thread. Mostly just quickly shared my observations to show you guys that I have been trying to do some scumhunting instead of just lurking like I have been accused of. I probably wouldn't have voted for you because of that, but I already had my vote on you from RVS.

Anyway, I guess I don't see the need for my vote to still be on you at this point, so
UNVOTE: Bulvious
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (isolation #11) » Tue May 31, 2011 10:40 am

Post by illmatic »

verydark wrote:A lot has happened in a few hours! Not lurking, just working.

After catching up, and getting a feel for Ill, I'm going to UNVOTE: Illmatic

I'm not making it personal about Maziek voting for me, but after reviewing, he's quick to call people out, but not very forthcoming on his own. Almost like he's trying to incite a fight. I'm definitely eyeing him as scum. Everyone else seems pretty reasonable with their responses. I'll remain voteless for a bit until the day unfolds a little more, if RVS is considered "over", I don't feel comfortable casting a vote when I don't have any evidence or reason to back it up.

@verydark what do you think about what Isa said about it being suspicious that you voted me to L-1? :

Isa wrote:
Verydark, why did you put Illmatic at L-1 this early? An unannounced vote shouldn't happen, but it might. Wouldn't it be better if you just removed your vote seeing as we already have a bit of a pressure on Illmatic without your vote? Personally I think it's a bit scummy of you to put him at L-1 this early.

Isa wrote: I don't see a lot of heads turned towards Verydark's L-1 vote against you for example, which is a vote I find suspicious.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (isolation #12) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:58 am

Post by illmatic »

Green wrote:Surely, if someone is at the verge of being hammered the pressure would be more than at L-2. I know for a fact that if I found I was at L-1 I would pull out everything I could in my defense. If I were at L-2 I may be less worried. I don't know, do others agree with this or is it a minority of one opinion? Still, I find your questioning of putting someone under pressure scummy.
I probably won't be posting again today (in real life) as I'm not well but I just felt I had to deal with this first.

I think L-2 is good enough to put pressure on someone. Sure, when it's L-1 you have more pressure but it also becomes more of a risk, especially in a newbie game. Someone can just quickly glance through the thread and go along with everyone and vote without reading details. I was reading a newbie game thread before our game started and in Day 1 pretty much the same thing happened that happened here, with them voting for an inactive lurker, except someone hammered after several others clearly said no one hammer.

}|{opa wrote:
I hope that was not a claim. Townies should not claim before it would become totally obvious that they will be lynched today.
So did you claimed your role or not?

Well, it's not much of a claim. Out of 9 of us 7 are townies. I didn't claim to be the Cop, Doctor or Jailer, just said that I was a townie. Didn't think it was a big deal
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (isolation #13) » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 am

Post by illmatic »

verydark wrote:
After re-reading. All I have to say is that Illmatic's claim to town seems suspicious, then using "Out of 9 of us 7 are townies" as a follow up seems even more suspicious. Yes, the odds are in the favor of town, but that's for anyone. Calling it out makes me think you're in the "2 of 9".

Care to explain how it's suspicious? How does that make me 2 of the 9, it says right there in the OP that there are 2 mafia among us.

VOTE: Dark creed

I don't like the excuse he made about being a replacement. He didn't miss much and seemed to have caught up real quick to the game, so it's strange that he would use that as an excuse with his most recent post. My vote puts him at L-2 by the way just so we know.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #169 (isolation #14) » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Post by illmatic »

Maziek wrote:Also, is everyone wanting to lynch Dark just because of his lurking and him saying that he will?

If that's the case, count me out on that. I'd rather lynch someone that we can have reads on than someone that we don't due to lurking or inactivity. More accurate lynch that way.

Voting doesn't mean lynch. I'm sure everyone agrees a quick lynch on an inactive is a bad idea, which is why I wasn't hammered when the wagon was on me. There's still a lot of time left in the day, so we are in no rush to choose someone to lynch right now.
illmatic
illmatic
Townie
illmatic
Townie
Townie

Post Post #224 (isolation #15) » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 am

Post by illmatic »

Haven't posted in a while, sorry about that. I am reading and working on a post that I'll post before the end of today
For now,
Unvote

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”