Newbie #1185 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 am

Post by Cav »

Hey all, this my second game online, I played a bunch in real life back during my undergrad degree, but postgraduate life is all work and no play so not so much any more, sadly. I'm on GMT but have abandoned sleep in favour of Skyrim, rendering time zones obsolete. In my last game I was a townie, plain and simple.

VOTE: Shiidaji for that clear attempt to lead the town with all this 'let's have a good game' nonsense. I'm sooo on to you :)
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by Cav »

Well, I think bandwagoning and conversation aren't separate; from what I've experienced and read bandwagoning can lead to some good conversation, and equally conversation can lead to a bandwagon. I prefer to start with conversation, because it seems like a bandwagon which picks up steam quickly can lead to one player becoming the focus of attention to the exclusion of all others for a day, particularly if they're aggressive.

As to your exchange, fathom, I think Tierce was joking... what makes you think it was particularly significant?
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Post by Cav »

I was poking at Sampson too. fathom was asking for info from Sampson, I was implying he already knew it (via pre-gamestart mafia quicktopic). As in, implying in RVS that fathom and Sampson are both scum.

@Tierce, just to clarify, does this mean you really think Sampson and fathom are scummy? When you say implying in RVS, do you mean you're just reaction fishing?
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Post by Cav »

Tierce, you're under suspicion as the rest of us are, you're not going to be able to make wild accusations in the hope you'll get a reaction without someone asking you to back it up. Right now you're as scummy to me as everyone else so of course I'm going to want some clarification from you on your statements. Add to this that fathom and I presumed you were joking and Workdawg was confused by your claims, and you yourself seemed to be admitting to reaction fishing, I didn't think it would hurt to get a little clarity on your position.

I'm worried by the fact you'd prefer to suppress questions in the hope that game mechanics will prevail. Also, your hypothetical example ignores the fact that the cop could, 4) use his knowledge of who scum was and support his claim with evidence from scums play, as any townie scumhunting would normally but with the added benefit of certainty.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Post by Cav »

sorry, should've made clear, that was just to add to Tierce's possible outcomes in her hypothetical situation.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (isolation #5) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Post by Cav »

Tierce, thanks for answering. I think any discussion of thought or timing behind difficult questions is always going to plunge headlong into WIFOM country, and equally any attempt to moderate your own questions will always be interpreted differently.

I think the cop in your example would have to be very brave or very stupid to announce a guilty and hope someone, with Scooby Doo-esque flair, will reveal themselves with a claim. Equally, convenience is relative, particularly if you're a townie with no means of positively identifying scum before lynch. But we could go round and round with these hypotheticals all day so I'll leave it here before I get sucked into an endless stream of hypotheses.

Comparing the activity of this game to my first, which was pretty lackluster, it looks like we're going to have an exciting time, I hope. Well. it's gone 4 in the morning, so I'm off. See you all tomorrow

edit before post - agreed with what's been said, questioning rulez, etc.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (isolation #6) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:22 am

Post by Cav »

SOAD, I'm worried about a number of things with you. First, I disagree with your position on attacking and defending and scum tells on day 1, but others have gone into it so there's no need for me to rehash that. Second, your vote for Shii, whether or not you argue it as an attack, comes across as a thought out, planned move; not what I'd call RVS, and I believe you yourself give reasons for this in your post #55. You claim you have no opinions on who scum is... but you're still voting for Shii. Like it or not, you've taken a stance on who scum is.

I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not, but you're coming across as quite confrontational; stuff like questioning someone's grasp on the game and then playing the 'i'm just a poor newbie, why don't you tell me where I'm going wrong' thing is just odd. I'm presuming this is a playstyle issue, for now, but you can see why it looks scummy, yes?
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (isolation #7) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Post by Cav »

@fathom Because he OMGUS voted immediately after Shii voted for him and in 55 said he was voting for Shii for being illogical. I don't follow his reasons but they are reasons; random voting, for me at least, is voting for dumb things not based on game content to get the game moving. This coupled with SOADs play suggested to me that his vote was anything but random.

why vote for Sampson and not, say inte?

@Shii, Work could mean distancing in the simple sense that he doesn't really want to be seen on your wagon, thus SOAD qualifies his vote as still part of RVS, drawing attention to you while being able to say he wasn't involved in your wagon, should anything come of it.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by Cav »

@fathom, not sure if your vote is valid as it says 'Vite'; just a heads up.

MEANWHILE...

Inte, what do you think of fathom and Tierce's votes on you, do you think they're voting for valid reasons?

Also, I'd like to know what both of you think of the Shii/SOAD thing. Let's not turn this into some kind of bizarre tit for tat information exchange, people, let the love run free! (or something to that effect)
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (isolation #9) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:16 am

Post by Cav »

Apologies, I've had some really terrible internet issues; rereading now
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (isolation #10) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 am

Post by Cav »

Roight, thought gathering time super GO.

SOAD: I'm really not sure about him. First impressions; scum. Then town. Now... ugh.
I would've dismissed his setup fishing as a newb error, if he hadn't already tried to base his vote on metagaming, which doesn’t seem newbish to me. I don't agree with using meta to find scum as it's equally easy for someone to consciously play against meta, but I could see SOADs case convincing nervous newbies into voting Work.
Overall, I can’t shake the feeling that SOAD is testing for weak points in the player base. I’m really not sure whether he’s town or scum.

Inte: Don’t like the withholding info. His vote for Tierce I find odd; all that fluff and no real reasons for his vote. I don’t like. Possibly newb-scum.

Shii: generally town, but his defence of SOADs actions strikes me as odd. A player who reacts passionately isn’t scum because they’re more invested... wha? I don’t follow this logic at all. Null.

Fathom: Null

Sampson: Null-town

Haycorn; wagon confusion and the sorry thing were a bit off, but apart from that, quite town.

Tierce: town thus far.

Work: town
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (isolation #11) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Post by Cav »

Ok, well, your post #71
SOAD's playstyle is quite the opposite of confrontational, in this case at least.

Which I presumed was just you voicing your opinion until your #114 until you said

Trust me, this is nothing. You'll find that even in the newbie games there're way, way worse arguments and discussions between people. If you're going to find every little bicker scummy, then you won't get much done.

And
I don't see any reasoning behind your vote besides "He's angry." What about SOAD feels scummy to you?
@Everyone else - Do you find Haycorn's jump on the SOAD wagon scummy? Which of the two feels scummier?

Why weigh in on this? Why not let SOAD answer Haycorn’s points?
Your #117 chastises SOAD for PR fishing but you dismissed it quickly. Also in that post

The stronger a reaction is, the more a person plays with his heart. Scum are scared of being caught, try to push suspicion on others, and don't want to attract attention.

Admittedly this is to defend yourself against fathom, but are you really arguing that because you too got heated we shouldn’t think you or him scummy? I don’t buy it, but that’s just me.

My null on you comes from the fact that for the most part I like your play, but the way you keep returning to the you vs.SOAD thing bugs me, especially the way you’re jumping in to argue his side, WHILE voting for him.

My Work town read came about because I see nothing in his posting so far to suggest he’s scum, whereas I have at least a few suspicions on everyone else.
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (isolation #12) » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:02 am

Post by Cav »

Sorry all but I've had to ask the mod to replace me.
I have no internet from home (I'm posting this from a library which closes in 5 minutes, truly thrilling stuff). It's been fun and I hope I can play with some of you again when BT sort their crappy phone and broadband tech services out!

As to last thoughts

SOADs wall makes me sad; his points about Haycorn seem all semantics and snark with little substance. I think probably scummy, or totally newbish
Shii puts in the scumhunting graft; I'd say town... I think.
Haycorn, not sure. Nothing substantial to go on yet, although I like her refutation of SOAD.
Tierce, town I think. Again, seems to be working hard, and nothing really scummy stands out thus far
Work, null to town, would've liked to see more from him to make me feel more comfortable about my town vibes
Inte, null to scum
Fathom, null, not enough to go on
Sampson, ditto

Right, I'm getting the evils from a librarian, so best be off. Goodnight and good luck, etc. etc.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”