Newbie Game #543 - Foul Deeds in Isafin (flawless town win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Post by spurgistan »

~breathing heavily~
/confirm.

Had to dash off to the big city, everything's cool. Sorry for the convenience.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:55 am

Post by spurgistan »

Vote: James Rogers
. Something about his avatar made me doubt his innocence. Can't quite put my finger on it... maybe it's the part where it says "not innocent."

I am also prejudiced against players who use real-sounding names for Internet handles. Please, sir, the internet is no place for tomfoolery such as this.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Post by spurgistan »

When you unvote, the vote no longer counts for that player. When somebody
unvote
s, they can
vote Alvinz
, for example, and the player I was voting for (the inimitable James Rogers) has one less vote, meaning it will need four votes for him to be lynched. Patience, grasshopper.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:11 am

Post by spurgistan »

So far there are three things on my list of noteworthy actions

1. Alvinz95 comes out very eager in post 28. Might be a newbie mistake to mistake FoS for votes, and that is basically what he claimed.
2. Spurgistan kind of makes fun of Alvinz95 in post 33 and at the same time he sneeks in a vote for Alvinz. Trying to combine education, cunning and humour is seldom a good move (at least I always fail doing that).
3. cioly is misreading the votes in post 39. That is strange since I went back and checked the vote thoroughly after Alvinz post 28 and I expected all townies to do the same.

None of these things have to be scummy, but I do feel that they are all a bit aggressive. In my last game aggression led to a loss for the townies.[/quote]

First off - what do you need a vote count for? Flay counted the votes midway up this page, and the only thing that's happened is cioly unvoting and then voting rosso carne. Which is a bad move this early, I was about to start yelling at you for putting a player who hadn't committed any sort of scumtell or anything at L-1. I'm pretty sure that you know that killing somebody we don't get any information from this early is a bad, bad thing for town. While I think I see what you were trying to do, it isn't a very effective gambit.
As far as that point about me goes, I tend to be a bit cheeky in the early stages of day 1, as well as liking a bit of fun at newbie's expense. It'll pass.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Sorry - I just noticed I screwed the quote tags up royally in post 42, the above one. Everything above the closed quote tag is what Johoono said, obviously.

And newbies - just because we have nothing to talk about doesn't mean we shouldn't say anything. Otherwise the game will just stall here, and absolutely nobody wants that. And posting to say how much you don't like day 1 doesn't really help.

The point of this isn't to be nice. We're playing mafia here, some players are trying to kill the rest of us. That doesn't mean we should be uncivil toward each other, and being nitpicky is generally a bad thing, but this is not the kiddy pool. Be aggressive, but remember it's all just a game.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (isolation #5) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:42 am

Post by spurgistan »

Nice triple, there, Rosso. Definitely agreeing with what you say in all of these, but I kind of wanted to post something in the same spirit, mostly with regards to cioly right now, but this is something I see in a lot of these newbie games, and even something some vets do.

Please, when you're playing in forum Mafia games, put your posts in plain English. It really is worth the extra 12 seconds to make a "somth" into a "something" to make it more readable to the rest of us. Because (while I hate to speak for everybody) I like reading these posts in English, the language we all are at least familiar with. When I see something that I don't immediately recognize as English, I get a bit annoyed. And when you annoy me, I'm likely to vote you whether I really think you're that scummy or not. So, please, for my sake, you don't really need to worry about proper syntax and all that (although I do) but try to make what you post approximate actual English. Thanks.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Rosso: I wasn't calling you out before, I can read what you write just fine. This probably doesn't even really belong in a game thread, I just hate having to spend time trying to figure out what vowels belong in text-speak.

And to whoever asked
FoS
means Finger of Suspicion. It basically says you think somebody's acting strangely but they haven't done enough to merit a vote. Read the FAQ (I hope you know what that means) it'll tell you all about that.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (isolation #7) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Another thing: lynching lurkers in a small game such as this is not the way to go. You can pretty much always find subs for a newbie game - if people aren't posting much, they need replacement, not to be lynched. Most scum know that they can't slip through the cracks, anyways.

Johoono: what the hell do those two posts by RC have to do with each other, never mind contradict each other?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”