Newbie 1014: My First Mafia (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1014: My First Mafia (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 am

Post by bv310 »

Newbie 1014: My First Mafia

Welcome dear children! You have been selected to play a game. Each day you will vote on who you want to see removed from the playing field. What's the prize you ask? Glory and the chance to see another day. Welcome to the most dangerous game of them all: Mafia!

Still playing the game (4/9):

Banana Stickers
Schrauben8542
nvcballer15

drmyshottyizsik
Poyples

Coach Travis (SE)

Ejected from the Arena (5/9):
implosion, Town Doctor, lynched D1
MichelSableheart (IC), Vanilla Townie, killed N1
Sundy (SE), Mafia Goon, lynched D2
sakshijain, Vanilla Townie, killed N2
Bellini
milo_faust
, Mafia Roleblocker, Lynched D3

Last edited by bv310 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 am, edited 12 times in total.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 am

Post by bv310 »

Da Rules (Stolen from Haylen, since I like hers the most)

During the Day...

The game is a Day Start.
You must bold your votes as such
Vote: Battle Mage
, please put the unvote where I can see it though, at the bottom of the post preferably. Unvoting makes me happy, but isn't completely necessary.
Each Day will have a deadline of 3 weeks, not reaching a majority of votes during that time will result in a no lynch. I may extend the deadline in special circumstances. I may also reduce the deadline by one day each time if activity does not pick up. Don't lurk. Lurking makes me sad :cry:
Mafia may not speak to each other during the day, lest you be smited.
You may not quote your role PM's or any other communication outside thread, with the mod. Lest you be smited.
I don't like cheaters.
(a)
Anybody who is found to be using invisible text, spoiler tags, encryption or anything as such will be smited unless they have an extremely good reason. Not knowing is not a good reason.
(b)
If you have the power to edit yours or anyone elses posts. Dont. Lest you be smited.
7a.
If you do not post within 72 hrs, you will receive a prod. Failure to response to the prod within 72 hrs will result in an automatic replacement. Three prods with result in an automatic replacement aswell.
b.
All mod communication should be opened as they are likely to contain important information about the game. This is to prevent mistakes with prods ect.
c.
If the third real life day after a prod is sent occurs during the night, then players are required to reply to their prod via PM. This is so that if a replacement is needed one can be found ASAP.
If you don't post for a whole game day, you'll be forcibly replaced.

During Twilight

Votes and unvotes will not be counted after a lynch.
The person lynched may still talk during Twilight.
4. Mafia still can't talk during this time.

During the Night Phase

The Night Phase will last 72 hrs. I like this number. Any actions that have not been received by then will be forgone. (Night may end early if all actions are received)
If your role permits it, you may talk to the players I have given you permission to talk to during the night.
Mafia, whoever sends in the kill, don't try and kill your partners, I will not be messed with.
Don't try and impersonate the mafia by sending me fake action PM's, I will not appreciate it, and you will be smited.

General Rules

I will not accept insulting behaviour in my games, anybody doing so will receive a nice, well worded warning from me in thread. Further breaking of the rule will receive a harsher punishment.
Red is my colour. Sometimes I like to edit your posts, if I do I'll use my colour.
Never talk to anybody outside the game except if your role permits it, and I have told you you can talk now.
Don't piss off the mod. You will be smited.
If you think you have found a loophole with my rules, you haven't. I will recognise a loophole breakage and punish you accordingly.
Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills', means I kill you immediately (for breaking the rules) and change your role to Neutral Survivor, meaning you auto-lose. Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills' automatically end the day. Period.
Play to win, just like everyone else. Don't get disheartened if you're lynched or attacked, basically don't take anything personally. If you feel somebodies behaviour has been inappropriate PM me about it and I will deal with it in some form or another.
Thy mod is thy god...however, I may make a mistake, if I do; PM me about it and I'll deal with it in some form or another.
If you need help PM me
Treat this game as a commitment, and be courteous to your fellow players. It will make everybody, including your mod happy. Smile
It is my prerogative to change the rules if I deem it necessary, you shall receive a notification in thread and a PM aswell to notify you of these changes.
I like receiving PM's, if anybody fancies PMing me for a chat or rant go for it. I can't talk about game specifics though, obv obv.

IC'sIC's are Inexperienced Challenged players, they are here to help you learn to play the game correctly. If you have any game or theory related questions, they will be happy to help you. If, however, you need help understanding your role or something role specific, you should PM me.

They must follow the roles set out in the Being a Good IC wiki page.

You may also find useful information on theory ect on the MafiaScum Wiki.

Mafia is a game of honor. Cheating is breaking the honor code you committed to when you joined this site.

And lastly...have fun! :D
Last edited by bv310 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:53 am

Post by bv310 »

PMs are going out now. To confirm that you have received and understand your role, please post /confirm here in thread. The game will commence once 7/9 have confirmed.

Also, this is the colour I will be using this game. If you have a hard time reading it, let me know and I will change to something different.

I also neglected to put this here before, but the game will follow one of the following rolesets:

A) 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Town Cop, 1 Town Doc, 5 Vanilla Townies
B) 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
C) 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
D) 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies

In setups where there is a Roleblocker, he will still be alllowed to kill if the Goon dies first. For further information, please check this link: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=F11
Last edited by bv310 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:16 am

Post by Sundy »

/confirm
Town: 7-4
Scum: 2-2
TBD: 3
Poyples
Poyples
Townie
Poyples
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 am

Post by Poyples »

/confirm

I plan to get an avatar shortly to make my posts easier to recognise :)
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

I have read the rules.
I have read my role pm.
I don't have any questions.
AKA /confirm.

Allthough the game doesn't officially start before 7 out of 9 players have confirmed, we can get a bit of extra time by already starting discussion.

In the beginning of the game, when there is little information to go on, it is essential to get game relevant discussion started. By getting an idea of players interactions and opinions, we may form suspicions on who is mafia and who isn't. Some players use arbitrary votes to get information out. Some players prefer to ask questions. Some players decide to start the game of with accusations based on what little information is available. Personally, I prefer a combination of the latter two solutions, to make sure there is game relevant information as soon as possible. (See also this topic for some good discussion on the subject)

Sundy, may I ask why you decided to solely post your confirmation, and didn't comment on the game at all?

Poyples, if you were aware that the lack of avatar makes your post more difficult to recognize, why didn't you get an avatar before this? Who pointed out to you that it was easier if you got an avatar, and when was it pointed out?
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 am

Post by Coach Travis »

/confirm

I've always preferred random voting to begin, I like using that to study reactions and to see if I pick up anything interesting from that. Random questioning is also okay though. I really just like anything that helps get the game going, so we're out of the RVS/RQS stage as quickly as possible.
Banana Stickers
Banana Stickers
Townie
Banana Stickers
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 am

Post by Banana Stickers »

/confirm here as well.

And I want to mention, before I forget, because I am notorious for forgetting, I will be V/LA this weekend (Friday - Sunday) on a camping trip.
Record
W / L
Town
2 / 0
Mafia
0 / 0
Other
0 / 0
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 am

Post by implosion »

/confirm
nvcballer15
nvcballer15
Townie
nvcballer15
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 am

Post by nvcballer15 »

/confirm
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 am

Post by Sundy »

MichelSableheart wrote:Sundy, may I ask why you decided to solely post your confirmation, and didn't comment on the game at all?
I was checking in on my phone after I got the happy notification that a new PM had arrived on Mafiascum.

So hey guys, I'm Sundy and after three completed games I am now officially a SE. :mrgreen: This means I'm semi-experienced, and although most questions can be directed at the IC, I can also help answer, and generally help the game flow along etc.

Two questions to get started:

a) What's your gender?
b) What's your experience playing Mafia, on this site or elsewhere?
nvcballer15
nvcballer15
Townie
nvcballer15
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by nvcballer15 »

I am a girl and have played mafia a decent number of times before.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by implosion »

I'm male, and I have a decent amount of experience playing mafia.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Hey Sundy, nice to see you again. Anyway...

a)I'm a guy, though for future reference you can see this beneath my avatar.
b)I've completed seven games in total, five on this site, which makes me an SE just like Sundy. In fact, I won a game with him as my scum buddy when he was still newish, and I was in my first game as an SE, so I'm the second most experienced player here.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Post by Sundy »

Travis, I forgot to say hi! Cheers.
Banana Stickers
Banana Stickers
Townie
Banana Stickers
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Post by Banana Stickers »

I'm female. I have this listed, but lots of people like to call me a guy. Not sure what guy would have a name like "Banana Stickers"...heck, even the mod in my first game called me a dude. :(

In any case, this is only my second game on-site but I've got pretty extensive experience playing mafia live. It's pretty similar to this, except the game moves a lot faster (obviously) and you can also accuse people for physical reasons ("I felt you bump me in the 'night', so you were probably pointing at the person you wanted to kill!")
Record
W / L
Town
2 / 0
Mafia
0 / 0
Other
0 / 0
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

@Coach: If you say you prefer random voting, I hope you don't actually vote randomly, or at least don't admit that your vote was decided in a random manner. Because if players know that your vote was made randomly without thought behind it, they don't really have a reason to respond. That's why I prefer the term arbitrary voting.

@Banana Stickers: What's your opinion on already starting discussion in the confirmation stage?

@Implosion, nvcballer: why weren't there any game relevant comments in your confirmation posts?

Also:
nvcballer wrote:I am a girl
nvcballer15's profile wrote:Gender: Male
Interesting contradiction.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
sakshijain
sakshijain
Townie
sakshijain
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by sakshijain »

hi sorry i am late actually i thought i will get pm first i am new thats why
Show
mafia games:-
Finished-1
Playing-1
Won town-1 Won mafia-0
Lost town-0 Lost mafia-0
sakshijain
sakshijain
Townie
sakshijain
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by sakshijain »

oh /confirm
Show
Finished-1
Playing-1
Won town-1 Won mafia-0
Lost town-0 Lost mafia-0
sakshijain
sakshijain
Townie
sakshijain
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Post by sakshijain »

sakshijain wrote:hi sorry i am late
Show
Finished-1
Playing-1
Won town-1 Won mafia-0
Lost town-0 Lost mafia-0
sakshijain
sakshijain
Townie
sakshijain
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Post by sakshijain »

I am a girl and haven't played mafia before and this is my first forum game also So i was little bit confuse.
Show
Finished-1
Playing-1
Won town-1 Won mafia-0
Lost town-0 Lost mafia-0
Poyples
Poyples
Townie
Poyples
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Post by Poyples »

@MichaelSableHeart - #5 - I'm posting on my phone and will be until this evening when I'll be back on my laptop and can search for the perfect avatar and upload it far easier. I post on several forums so it's mostly common sense, but it was also mentioned in the game 'Newbie 1000' which I'd started reading while I waited.

@Sundy - #10 - I'm a male and I have played in a lot of forum mafia games on a different site. There are some good players on that site but, judging from the game I'm reading, the average player here seems to be of a higher standard than the average player there. I've been using the mafia scum wiki for a while to mod a couple of games on the other site and decided it was about time I migrated to playing here...
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:35 am

Post by bv310 »

If anyone is missing their role PM, please say so (bolded) in-thread.

Anyway, that's 8/9 confirmed (missing Milo_Faust), so let the game begin!

I'll wait until 11:59pm tonight for Milo_Faust, then go snag a replacement.
milo_faust
milo_faust
Townie
milo_faust
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:58 am

Post by milo_faust »

/confirm

Answers to questions:
--Sundy's List:
A) I'm of the male persuasion.
B) I've been playing mafia for ~5 years with extensive experience playing in person. I had a very old account "long ago" but real life caught up with me and it went inactive. I have since long forgotten the Username and Password, as well as the play-style associated with the online variant. This is my attempt at reacquainting myself with the modern lingo.

Notes:
@Bannana Stickers: I very much hope that "nudges and bumps" during the night phase were your basis of argument when playing mafia. The game is designed to gear itself towards analyzing the respective players, not hoping that someone gets "careless" during the night-phase and bumps you. Poor play.
@MichelSableheart: It's somewhat pointless to say, however for all of your own questioning, you ignored Sundy's list (even though both questions are relatively easy to answer given your role as the IC and gender being listed below your username). I do agree with your preference for a mixture of the RQS and RVS. (It will always be called the Random Voting Stage. It's far more catchy than "Arbitrary Voting Stage".)
@nvcballer15: MSh (assuming that I might have the luxury of abbreviating his name as such) raises a valid point. Your conflicting gender-claim and user status can bring nothing good. The only reasons I've ever known for a person to claim the opposing gender, was to circumvent "perceived prejudices" or to help that user manipulate the town as a person of the opposing gender.

Those things said, I will usually end up posting during odd hours as I currently reside in China, raising another point. My internet access is provided by the University I study and work for. Sometimes they take the network down for a while for service and I will not be able to access the internet for (up to now the latest has been) 2 days. The city I live in also sometimes has power outages, which hampers internet access (along with other things) and has lasted up to 2.5 days. If I have been inactive, before requesting a prod, do a quick google search for Chongqing power outages or the like. This is not an attempt to permit myself to lurk, as I do not intend on letting this account fall inactive.

Lastly:
/vote: nvcballer

Read above for reasoning why.
I am a people.
milo_faust
milo_faust
Townie
milo_faust
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:06 am

Post by milo_faust »

Ack! I just saw the mod-post, apologies for the very-near confusion. Living in China is a bit difficult sometimes because of the time difference.
I am a people.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”