Newbie 1016 - Trouble in Joestown (Game Over, Mafia Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1016 - Trouble in Joestown (Game Over, Mafia Win!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Newbie 1016 - Trouble In Joestown
Mod: jmj3000
Back-up: Haylen

It was a nice day on Joestown. It was a balmy 80 degrees outside, and you were enjoying the break from the high temps of the past few days and taking a walk along the beach. Suddenly, you heard Haylen scream. You all ran over to see what she was screaming about, and saw a body in the water. You pulled it out and saw it was jmj3000. In the back of his head was a bullet hole. Did I mention this was a small town? Who ever killed him, is amongst y'all. Time to start drowning people.

Still enjoying the weather (alive): (bold means confirmed)

noraaa
displaced
JennyFan
Ibarra
tj94
Wraith (SE)
Andrius (IC)

Spent too much time in the water (dead):

andrew94 (SE) (Cop)
Lynched Day 1
Fullcircle
Thor665, Vanilla Townie
Killed Night 2
Hiraki, Vanilla Townie, Lynched
Day Thre
Leiskyrie, Vanilla Townie Killed
Night Three

Has a bad case of sunburn (modkilled):

Hopefully No One

Current Status: Day 3
Deadline: November 18th
Last edited by jmj3000 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:39 am, edited 10 times in total.
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

jmj3000's Rules (Stolen from Haylen, who Cross referenced with Incognito and Vi's rules to makes sure she got everything.)

During the Day...

The game is a Day Start.
You must bold your votes as such
Vote: Battle Mage
, please put the unvote where I can see it though, at the bottom of the post preferably. Unvoting makes me happy, but isn't completely necessary.
Each Day will have a deadline of 3 weeks, not reaching a majority of votes during that time will result in a no lynch. I may extend the deadline in special circumstances. I may also reduce the deadline by one day each time if activity does not pick up. Don't lurk. Lurking makes me sad :cry:
Mafia may not speak to each other during the day, lest you be smited.
You may not quote your role PM's or any other communication outside thread, with the mod. Lest you be smited.
I don't like cheaters.
(a)
Anybody who is found to be using invisible text, spoiler tags, encryption or anything as such will be smited unless they have an extremely good reason. Not knowing is not a good reason.
(b)
If you have the power to edit yours or anyone elses posts. Dont. Lest you be smited.
7a.
If you do not post within 72 hrs, you will receive a prod. Failure to response to the prod within 72 hrs will result in an automatic replacement. Three prods with result in an automatic replacement aswell.
b.
All mod communication should be opened as they are likely to contain important information about the game. This is to prevent mistakes with prods ect.
c.
If the third real life day after a prod is sent occurs during the night, then players are required to reply to their prod via PM. This is so that if a replacement is needed one can be found ASAP.
If you don't post for a whole game day, you'll be forcibly replaced.

During Twilight

Votes and unvotes will not be counted after a lynch.
The person lynched may still talk during Twilight.
4. Mafia still can't talk during this time.

During the Night Phase

The Night Phase will last 72 hrs. I like this number. Any actions that have not been received by then will be forgone. (Night may end early if all actions are received)
If your role permits it, you may talk to the players I have given you permission to talk to during the night.
Mafia, whoever sends in the kill, don't try and kill your partners, I will not be messed with.
Don't try and impersonate the mafia by sending me fake action PM's, I will not appreciate it, and you will be smited.

General Rules

I will not accept insulting behaviour in my games, anybody doing so will receive a nice, well worded warning from me in thread. Further breaking of the rule will receive a harsher punishment.
Green is my colour. Dont use any kind of blue in your posts, I will count it as impersonating the mod and you will be smited. Sometimes I like to edit your posts, if I do I'll use my colour.
Never talk to anybody outside the game except if your role permits it, and I have told you you can talk now.
Don't piss off the mod. You will be smited.
If you think you have found a loophole with my rules, you haven't. I will recognise a loophole breakage and punish you accordingly.
Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills', means I kill you immediately (for breaking the rules) and change your role to Neutral Survivor, meaning you auto-lose. Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills' automatically end the day. Period.
Play to win, just like everyone else. Don't get disheartened if you're lynched or attacked, basically don't take anything personally. If you feel somebodies behaviour has been inappropriate PM me about it and I will deal with it in some form or another.
Thy mod is thy god...however, I may make a mistake, if I do; PM me about it and I'll deal with it in some form or another.
If you need help PM me...or AIM me, I'm always online (except when I'm sleeping, or in a lecture.)
The mod is afraid of ghosts, don't post when you're dead, you will scare him. Leave it to end game discussion...
Treat this game as a commitment, and be courteous to your fellow players. It will make everybody, including your mod happy. Smile
It is my prerogative to change the rules if I deem it necessary, you shall receive a notification in thread and a PM aswell to notify you of these changes.
I like receiving PM's, if anybody fancies PMing me for a chat or rant go for it. I can't talk about game specifics though, obv obv.
No invisible text, encrypted text, stupidly small text or hiding text inside [ color = black ] tags.

IC'sIC's are Inexperienced Challenged players, they are here to help you learn to play the game correctly. If you have any game or theory related questions, they will be happy to help you. If, however, you need help understanding your role or something role specific, you should PM me.

They must follow the roles set out in the Being a Good IC wiki page.

You may also find useful information on theory ect on the MafiaScum Wiki.

Mafia is a game of honor. Cheating is breaking the honor code you committed to when you joined this site.

And lastly...have fun! :D
Last edited by jmj3000 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SONY MAFIA

jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

The game will use
one
of these 4 setups, I can't tell you which it is though :p but I did randomize it using random.org. Please note, it is rare that you will come across one of these setups in a non Road to Rome game, so please prepare yourself for changes in rules, roles and setups when you sign up to other games.

Possible Setups

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
6 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Doc
6 Townies

OR

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
7 Townies

Possible Role PMs

Mafia Aligned

Mafia GoonYou are a
Mafia Goon
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team.

You win when the mafia are the majority of players in the game or nothing can prevent the same.

To confirm, please state your role back to me via PM.

Game thread is [here]

Mafia Role BlockerYou are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team. You also have the ability to roleblock one player per night - this means if they have any night actions, they will not be inaffective.

Note: If the goon dies, the Role Blocker can send in both the role block and the mafia kill. But the goon cannot send in a role block if the role blocker dies.

Game thread is [here]

Town Aligned

CopYou are a
Cop
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of one player you wish to investigate via Private Message. You will get one of the following results:

Innocent - This means they are town.
Guilty - This means they are mafia.
Inspection Unsuccessful - Meaning you have been roleblocked.

You win with the town, when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Note: The only type of cop used in these setups are Sane Night Cops, they're the most common types of cop

Game thread is [here]

DocYou are a
Doc
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of a player you wish to protect at night. This means that that player will be protected from mafia night kills, unless you have been roleblocked.

Note: Only Sane Doc's are used in these setups.

Game thread is [here]

Vanilla TownieYou are a
Vanilla Townie
, the only thing you have in the game is your vote and mind.

Game thread is [here]
SONY MAFIA

jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Role pms are being sent as as fast as I can. Once everyone has confirmed, I will start the day. Mafia may talk in their quicktopic until I start the day.
Last edited by jmj3000 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SONY MAFIA

jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Day 1 starts and will end at 7: 00 PM EDT. Good luck.
Countdown[/color]

Posting it again so it jumps to the top of your bookmarks.
SONY MAFIA

Leiskyrie
Leiskyrie
Goon
Leiskyrie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Leiskyrie »

So it seems that Day one has started...?

Vote: Andrius
because Katsuki said so~ ^.^
~Not quite so fluffy~
Cupcake Mafia II coming soon! Are you cupcakes ready...?
-> postponed indefinitely, but is still in the works
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Post by Andrius »

I don't actually bookmark any of my games...

Welcome to 1016! I'm Andrius, your friendly-neighborhood IC. What is an IC? We're experienced players that volunteer to play in Newbie games and teach you the ropes. Our play is governed by Being a Good IC, The Guide. This is my first time as an IC, so I'm excited to play with people I've never played with before, and you better be as well. :D I'm a fairly active poster, but I've been waaay busier IRL than usual, so I might not post as often as my town-meta suggests.

I am the teaching role here. The SEs (Wraith and andrew94), are Semi-Experienced, but they're not the primary teachers. Feel free to ask me questions in-thread, and you can always PM the Mod about more... sensitive material (like PRs, if you're scum, etc.).

Ok, a few things I'd like to point out:
  • Read the rules of the game. Each moderator's rules are different, so read these and get familiar with them.
  • Do not Self-Vote. This may seem stupid, but self-voting is never helpful to the town, and is incredibly anti-town.
  • Do not vote No Lynch, especially on D1. That doesn't help us at all, here in a newbie game.
  • DO NOT LIE AS TOWN. Even if you are at L-1. Do not claim Cop when you are not the Cop.
  • Do not claim your role until you are at L-1. While it may seem tempting and we might want to lynch you, do not claim your role until L-1.
And I'll open with
Vote: andrew94
for being scum in my first game as moderator.

Also,
1) Is this your first mafia game? If not, give a little background info as to your experience with mafia.
2) What is your favorite alignment?
3) What is your favorite role?

1) This is my 27th game on this site.
2) I prefer town, as my scum meta is easily recognizable.
3) I prefer investigative roles, like Tracker and Inventor. Playing as Masons is alot of fun.

And please be active. Don't expect me and the SEs to dominate the game and do all the work for you.

Some good reading for you guys: The Newbie Guide and Common Abbreviations.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:33 pm

Post by Andrius »

Leiskyrie wrote:So it seems that Day one has started...?

Vote: Andrius
because Katsuki said so~ ^.^
:roll: Katsuki's a pretty cool dude, but he needs to work on his Vig-play.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Post by Andrius »

And, for everyone who knows me/ watches the Title Fairy thread, I'll try my darndest not to crumb anything. XD
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by noraaa »

Woo~ glad to see the thread open. I'm on my phone at work, so I hope this doesn't format weird. This is my first game here and I am excited to play.
vote Leiskyrei
because you're the only name I can see from here.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Vote: displaced

Why? You mean Mafia requires reasoning?

Are you all...serious?

Well, I'll give you this
reasoning

First "d" is lowercase.

GTFO SCUM.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Post by Andrius »

Yo guys, I didn't ask some questions to hear myself speak. XD
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Andrius wrote:Yo guys, I didn't ask some questions to hear myself speak. XD
Oh right. Questions. I like questions, they're always fun.
Andrius wrote:1) Is this your first mafia game? If not, give a little background info as to your experience with mafia.
1) No, I've played a couple of games on Scorehero, and it's private site, Mafiahero. Mafiahero is a invision site, so I'm too lazy to link it or anything.

As some of you may have seen, I'm usually known as Raikiri, but again, like you may have seen. Long Story. My alt. is usually Hiraki. I make it obvious that this is my alt. for terms of ultimate irony.

I'm going to guess this is somewhere around my...7th game? I'd have to actually count, but that sounds about right. I think I've only won one game though, unfortunately. I've gotten MVP in some of them, so y'know. I can't be
that
horrible. Or maybe I am, idunnolol. It's also interesting that I've become known good in a small community, because I'm usually
really
aggressive. I hate when people say "lol too aggressive that's scummy". I always like the response, "Well, should we poke the mafia out of their holes?" but that's not really important. I'm getting to far into this question.

I did play some games on here on Raikiri999, so you can go check them out. I replaced out of all of them sadly. I was a wee bit of a n00b back then, and I really had no clue what was going on, even in Newbie Games. I feel like I'm quite better now, so I don't feel as stupid/scared and whatnot.

I also play EM a lot on Hiraki. I have 32ish K there, but that doesn't really count since K doesn't matter. Not to mention that site has been lost to the trolls, no offense IMO. That's all I can think of to answer that question, I'm probably missing one tidbit or two. Oh well.

2) Scum. By far. I like Town, but Town is always so strict. You can't assume anything, while on scum, you don't need to assume. Of course, acting like a townie in the day is a bit hard, but I don't find it terribly impossible. I've never played 3rd Party, so I can't comment on that. I'd like to one day though.

3)That's a toughie. I haven't played many PRs. I'd assume, even though I don't like Town as much as scum, that I'd like to be Bomb/Granny. It sounds like a good role to claim as VT, and it seems like a badass role when scum dies one day. It creates a huge mass of confusion too. That's always fun.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Post by Hiraki »

EWBOP: Just a bit more stuff I had to say, and something I found curious with your helpful guide, Andrius.

First off, people say that I make big walls. I do. So you'll get a treat if you see one in this game.(Doubtful, the last game I did it had about 20 people, and I was replacing and scum. I needed to gain townie points and give out my opinions. Y'know? My replacement was pretty lurky scummy too, so you get it.)

Second off, this goes more to Andrius' guide. I had one big problem with it.
Andrius wrote:Do not claim your role until you are at L-1. While it may seem tempting and we might want to lynch you, do not claim your role until L-1.
L-1? Don't you mean L-2? If it's LYLO, scum could quickhammer pretty easily. I mean of course, on a regular day, this wouldn't seem bad, but this is a newbie game and all. With all the responses that I've seen so far, it looks like the majority has never played a game before. I really wouldn't want to lynch someone on the basis that the might've accidentally quickhammered because of voting at the same time, and/or near the same time. It's just something that I caught.
Leiskyrie
Leiskyrie
Goon
Leiskyrie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Post by Leiskyrie »

From what I've seen, it's more common to claim at L-1 instead, especially since we've only just begun the game. LYLO will, of course, change things a lot. In LYLO, it'll probably be advisable for nobody to vote (since the scum can just pile on and hammer) until roleclaims are over...
~Not quite so fluffy~
Cupcake Mafia II coming soon! Are you cupcakes ready...?
-> postponed indefinitely, but is still in the works
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by andrew94 »

Andrius wrote: Also,
1) Is this your first mafia game? If not, give a little background info as to your experience with mafia.
1) no, 5th newbie game
2) independent
3)SK
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Post by andrew94 »

DO NOT LIE AS TOWN. Even if you are at L-1. Do not claim Cop when you are not the Cop. have u ever heard of drawing the nk target?
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by andrew94 »

err andrius, you gave me that scum role, that causes me to get lynched

i hate u 4ever = =
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Post by Hiraki »

andrew94 wrote:DO NOT LIE AS TOWN. Even if you are at L-1. Do not claim Cop when you are not the Cop. have u ever heard of drawing the nk target?
This is true but meh, it's a newbie game. We don't take substantial risks on relying on townies when they could easily be fail town.
Leiskyre wrote:From what I've seen, it's more common to claim at L-1 instead, especially since we've only just begun the game. LYLO will, of course, change things a lot. In LYLO, it'll probably be advisable for nobody to vote (since the scum can just pile on and hammer) until roleclaims are over...
Yeah, I guess that is true. But still, I think L-1 is a really bad time to claim. At L-1, in a newbie game, I think someone should automatically take their vote for L-2 for the person to claim, just because. Probably just my opinion though, I'll hold it through, if needed.

[quot="andrew94"]err andrius, you gave me that scum role, that causes me to get lynched

i hate u 4ever = =[/quote] There's a scum role that causes one to get lynched? What do you mean? This is just curious me btw. I've never heard of a scum role like this. Unless you're making a pun or something, which I want to assume. I'd hate to play that role too.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

Hiraki wrote: L-1? Don't you mean L-2? If it's LYLO, scum could quickhammer pretty easily. I mean of course, on a regular day, this wouldn't seem bad, but this is a newbie game and all. With all the responses that I've seen so far, it looks like the majority has never played a game before. I really wouldn't want to lynch someone on the basis that the might've accidentally quickhammered because of voting at the same time, and/or near the same time. It's just something that I caught.
No, I mean L-1. If someone quick-hammers outside of LyLo then we lynch them for the previous quicklynch.
In LyLo we all be careful.
Hiraki wrote: There's a scum role that causes one to get lynched? What do you mean? This is just curious me btw. I've never heard of a scum role like this. Unless you're making a pun or something, which I want to assume. I'd hate to play that role too.
No, he just finished a game I moderated. He was a Mafia Goon, who self-hammered D1.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Andrius wrote:
Hiraki wrote: L-1? Don't you mean L-2? If it's LYLO, scum could quickhammer pretty easily. I mean of course, on a regular day, this wouldn't seem bad, but this is a newbie game and all. With all the responses that I've seen so far, it looks like the majority has never played a game before. I really wouldn't want to lynch someone on the basis that the might've accidentally quickhammered because of voting at the same time, and/or near the same time. It's just something that I caught.
No, I mean L-1. If someone quick-hammers outside of LyLo then we lynch them for the previous quicklynch.
In LyLo we all be careful.
But that's what I
really
don't like in a Newbie Game. You can't blame a Newbie for accidentally hammering, and you can't tell if this is scum just covering their actions because they are a Newbie. I mean, I really do get what you mean, but I don't think that this is a rule for Newbie Games, rather larger and more experienced games where mistakes have a smaller chance of happening.

Then again, it's your guidelines, so w/e.
Andrius wrote:
Hiraki wrote: There's a scum role that causes one to get lynched? What do you mean? This is just curious me btw. I've never heard of a scum role like this. Unless you're making a pun or something, which I want to assume. I'd hate to play that role too.
No, he just finished a game I moderated. He was a Mafia Goon, who self-hammered D1.
Oh that makes sense. Goons do suck. <___<
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Post by noraaa »

This is starting to look like math to me. D;
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Post by Wraith »

Hello, I'm Wraith, an SE. I've played or am in about 10 games on this site now. I prefer SK or scum greatly over town because I always get mislynched as town. Serial Killer is my favorite role so far, not only because it is interesting but also because I've only ever been SK, Scum RB, or VT on this site so far.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Post by andrew94 »

vote noraaa

cos female? Oo