Blitz 1: C9++ (GAME OVER!)

This forum was a trial run for quick games with deadlines no more than 96 hours per Day. Please see more here
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #1799 (isolation #0) » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:19 am

Post by Antihero »

mason claims should've gotten blown up by 229 and 497.

gotta' do your homework, folks.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #1801 (isolation #1) » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by Antihero »

i have to interject myself on this because i feel like it...

In post 1737, Persivul wrote:2. In this game, ETL was excellent at identifying scum. She was horrible at getting them lynched. Scumhunting requires both. When someone spots a 10-point buck but misses the shot...that's not good hunting. When the deer turns on him and kills him, that's even worse.

no, not really

yeah, i know it's a curt, snooty thing to say. i also used to think like this. but... no. sadly, this is not true and you're giving the individual WAY too much power with this attitude.

see... when it comes to things like "persuasion", there's a little bit of luck involved because "persuasiveness" comes down to how much you click with who you're trying to persuade. the audience has to be RECEPTIVE to the arguments if you're going to make any progress. if we're being brutally honest, it all comes down to image and how much people like you. unless you're intimately familiar with most of the playerlist, this is a hit-or-miss kind of thing. i can play the exact same way in two different games: in one game everyone will call me confident and assertive and sheep my reads and in another everyone will think i'm an arrogant, egomaniacal jackass and call me scummy for it.

i will concede that there's a bit of an element of how politically savvy and adaptable someone is in trying to lead. and some people are better at it than others. but mostly, you're really at the mercy of the masses. you ever heard anybody call mafia a "social game"? that's what they mean. etl could've done her best mary poppins impression and been 100% dead-on accurate about everything. the wisdom of the crowd still would've fallen hilariously short on this one.

1. It's...just...a...game. Relax and have some fun. I let it get to me and took a few months off, and I've learned my lesson. You apparently haven't.

"it's just a game" is a really crappy thing to say. it's similar to glibly saying "calm down" to someone who's mad in that it often produces the opposite effect of what you want and it makes the other person hate you that much more.

yes, it is true. it is a game and it doesn't have any serious consequences for those who lose. rationally, etl and everyone else already knows that. losing still stings because people get invested in games here. it's the downside of actually caring about winning and losing. if you get that high from winning then, conversely, you feel crappy about losing.

tl:dr, we're junkies here. don't kill our buzz.

[/meddling in other people's business sequence ended]
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Return to “Blitz Games Trial”