[setup] Commandless Chain of Command

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:20 am

Post by Something_Smart »

why don't you just not give scum the power they are assigned? scum randing a PR is already pretty rough because it means that town doesn't get one, they don't need to get a power on top of that.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #16 (isolation #1) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:22 am

I guess that makes tracker pretty strong. maybe scum could get a visitor or something, or maybe just a weak role they always have like a 1 shot vanilla cop?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:41 am

I'm more worried about swing than balance; I think it's moderately scumsided if scum gets a PR but more importantly it's a significant swing based on how many of them do. My idea could also be used to deal with that issue if you make the information factional so then the scum who rolled the PR slot would flip goon anyway. It also would let you eliminate the loyal from those killing roles (though maybe vig would need some kind of nerf as otherwise it's kinda OP).

Balance can be changed by changing the roles, but if the setup concept is inherently high-swing then well-selected roles can't do much about that. That's kinda what I'm looking to avoid (it's obviously not the end of the world, but I tend to favor low-swing games, because it's not really fun for either team if the setup swings hard to one side).
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:07 am

In post 19, Datisi wrote:hm, i see. what do you mean by make the information factional? inform scum what pr(s) were they "supposed" to rand, or?
That's what I had in mind yeah.

You could probably just disable vengeful in lylo. Vig being loyal I do like for balance reasons because it lets scum fakeclaim it.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:25 am

Yeah probably, that kinda just innos it to any investigative.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #35 (isolation #5) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:47 pm

In post 34, Datisi wrote:though, if a pr-claiming scum does flip, i guess the problem remains that the town is somewhat likely to realize scum fakeclaimed due to their informed modifier, therefore the other two prs are town...
Not necessarily, it's not that crazy to fakeclaim PR if you know town has 3 because it's not like they're all going to claim to out you.

Maybe scum could be informed of a few unused roles if they don't get any PR's?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #38 (isolation #6) » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 am

Strongman isn't bad, ninja's a little niche since it only counters two roles. I liked vanilla cop or something, just to allow scum to visit so any non-killing visits weren't confirmed town.

Informing scum of 3 roles not in the game is probably too many, but I guess it's not a huge deal. I'd probably go with 2.

Maybe you could let scum choose between 1-shot vanilla cop and knowledge of 2 roles not in the ga-- wait, that's just my I/M rule for PYP X/Y, isn't it. I mean it was a cool rule :P

Between the two I think informing is probably better, since it would really suck to claim a PR as scum and get screwed by that role happening to exist in the setup. I believe the D3 setups (and a lot of setups with modular PR's) provide at least some information to help scum avoid that.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #41 (isolation #7) » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:52 am

1-shot watcher feels very underwhelming in a 13p

Also 1-shot ascetic sounds annoying for both teams

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”