[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1394 (isolation #0) » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Post by Beefster »

New idea? :) ;)

Psychic Mafia

2 Telepathic Mafia Goons (day talk and night talk)
2 Telepathic Twins (Freemasons that can day talk and night talk)
1 Lie Detector
1 Vision Injector (flavored Friendly Neighbor)
6 Vanilla Townies
---Day Start---

That should work, but it might need an extra goon for balance.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1404 (isolation #1) » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Post by Beefster »

Elscouta wrote:
Beefster wrote:New idea? :) ;)

Psychic Mafia

2 Telepathic Mafia Goons (day talk and night talk)
2 Telepathic Twins (Freemasons that can day talk and night talk)
1 Lie Detector
1 Vision Injector (flavored Friendly Neighbor)
6 Vanilla Townies
---Day Start---

That should work, but it might need an extra goon for balance.
If this is open, all players would start the game saying "I'm town", making the lie detector a cop.
Scum could fakeclaim lie detector, thus nullifying that. Which one do you believe?

Or put a restriction on it so that you can't lie detect on claims. That would make things more interesting anyway.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1409 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:52 am

Post by Beefster »

Yeah. A cop head start would probably help.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1491 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Beefster »

Rival Detective Mafia
  • 1 Mafia Godfather
  • 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia Roleblocker
  • 2 Miller Cops
  • 1 Doctor
  • 6 Vanilla Townies
+ Cop Headstart for balance.
The cops do not know each other and have independent investigations. Since they are rivals, if they check the other's house, they will return guilty results.

Psych Mafia

Based on the TV show...
  • 2 NK-immune Serial Killers
  • Shawn (Sane Cop with post restriction)
  • Gus (Doctor)
  • Lassiter (Crazy Cop)
  • Jules (Sane deputy to Lassiter)
  • Shawn's Dad (Retired/One-shot Cop)
  • 1 Pineapple salesman (named VT)
  • 4 Vanilla Townies
Cop Headstart?
Shawn must post nonsense. Shawn and Gus know each other and Shawn can whisper one message to Gus during each day. Gus's job is to "translate" the gibberish.
Lassiter will get wrong results if he picks the same target as Shawn, but gets correct results if he picks a different target.
The SKs might try to act like Shawn or Gus.
Then again, this might be better for a bastard theme game...
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1499 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:08 am

Post by Beefster »

Max wrote:
* 1 Mafia Godfather
* 1 Mafia Goon
* 1 Mafia Roleblocker
* 2 Miller Cops
* 1 Doctor
* 6 Vanilla Townies
Remove the RB and the Doctor and I think the game is balanced (ie. 3 Mafia (1 Inv. Immune), 2 Miller Cops, 7 Town)
Might as well make it into an experimental 13 player setup without the doctor. ie. have 8 Townies instead of 7.

@Deuce Mafia: add in sanities for the cops and doctors, make one of the roleblockers town-aligned, and make the vigilantes one-shot or replace them with named vanilla townies.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1530 (isolation #5) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Post by Beefster »

The above idea inspires me...
one-shot mafiaEverybody gets a 1-shot ability, including the mafia's kills.
  • 3 Mafia
  • 9 Townies
Each mafioso has one kill, and the faction can still only make 1 kill per night. If a mafioso with a kill left is lynched, the kill is lost. If there are no kills left, the mafia can't kill that night and must finish off the town with mislynches. Kills are not mandatory if available.
Each townie is given either investigate (20%) or peek (80%).
The peek ability checks if the target still has his power. Peek goes last so that it can be useful for the next day.
Win condition for the mafia is 50/50.

3:9 should be pretty balanced. The mafia doesn't have a reliable kill every night, and if the town lynches a kill-enabled mafioso, they get more time to work with.
On the other hand, it might be important to limit the number of investigators in play. If every townie gets investigation, it could shift heavily in the Town's favor.
Peek should be pretty useful when trying to lynch mafiosos with kills.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1531 (isolation #6) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:44 am

Post by Beefster »

Rethinking, 3:8 might be better. The mafia gets at most 3 kills- so assuming a mislynch the first two days and a kill every night, that leaves you at Day 3, 3:4, with 1 kill left. If the town lynches the last kill-enabled member, it actually buys 2 more days because there are no more NKs left.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1535 (isolation #7) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Post by Beefster »

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1551 (isolation #8) » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Post by Beefster »

Pair Mafia
  • 2 Mafia Goons
  • 2 Treacherous Lovers (SK and Cop/Doc)
  • 2 Siblings (No powers, both town aligned)
  • 2 Masons
  • 4 Single Vanilla Townies
Only the siblings and lovers are affected by suicide. The lovers' win condition is survival. Each pair has night-talk. If a doctor exists, he can't save the same target 2 nights in a row.

I am determined to get one of my own setups approved! :P
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1553 (isolation #9) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by Beefster »

I like it.
/nominate Rival Vig Mafia
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1564 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Post by Beefster »

-You're gonna need around 40 players to make it work right. There's a lot of acting mafia.
-Drop the Hard Hitting Safety. It's a bit OP.
-The QB is OP. You should probably only have 2-3 QB protectors. The rest of the Offensive Line should be 100% vanilla.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1565 (isolation #11) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Post by Beefster »

I kinda like the Fruit Vendor Mafia.

Insane Inventor Mafia
  • 3 Mafia Goons
  • 1 Insane Inventor (pro-town)
  • 9 Vanilla Townies
  • Inventor Headstart
The Insane Inventor makes a random invention every night, and must give it to someone without an invention, not knowing what it does. It arrives on the recipient's doorstep the following twilight given only an invention name with flavor text. The recipient can use it for the rest of the game. Each invention's function remains consistent throughout the entire game.
An invention can do any of the following, determined by equal weights:
-Kill
-Roleblock
-Protect
-Investigate
-Track
-Watch
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1568 (isolation #12) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:13 am

Post by Beefster »

I'd probably drop the defensive end for a 20 player game. You could probably put him in with 22+ players. Online mafia tends to favor the mafia because there are no faces and gut feelings don't work for the most part.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1646 (isolation #13) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 am

Post by Beefster »

Amnesia Mafia
  • 3 Mafia Goons
  • 1 Amnesiac Doctor
  • 1 Amnesiac Vigilante
  • 1 Amnesiac Roleblocker
  • 1 Friend of the Doctor
  • 1 Friend of the Vigilante
  • 1 Friend of the Roleblocker
  • 4 Vanilla Townies
Each of the power roles know they have one, but don't know which one they have. Instead, their corresponding "friend" is told what role they have. The friends have no special abilities.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1649 (isolation #14) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Post by Beefster »

The PR's don't know anything about their roles except that they have one of those 3. Their night action would be something generic, like "/target Nobody Special"
They would have to figure out their role indirectly by first figuring out who their friend is, then looking for hints on their role. If the roles knew who their friends were, you would basically have 3 masonries which would probably ruin the balance.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1654 (isolation #15) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Post by Beefster »

drmy: You need powerless townies or else you have a huge mess of useless information. And scrap the scum PGO. Scrap the whole setup really. It doesn't work.

And for my Amnesia Mafia, my original idea was to have a cop instead of a roleblocker. It never really occurred to me to send the results to the friend. That way, you could make the setup semi-open and even more ridiculous. Something like...
amnesia mafia v0.2* 3 Mafia Goons
* 3 Different Amnesiac Power Roles
* 3 Corresponding Friends of the Power Roles
* 4 Vanilla Townies

The power roles will randomly be 3 of the following: Cop, Tracker, Watcher, Doctor, Vigilante, Roleblocker; with equal weights.
Each of the power roles know they have one, but don't know which one they have. Instead, their corresponding "friend" is told what role they have. The friends have no special abilities aside from receiving information from their corresponding power role's actions.

And the point of the friends knowing the PR is to give SOME clue to what power role they wield and to receive investigative results.

Then the problem comes in when the friend of a cop, watcher, or tracker is killed. Who gets the results in that case? Nobody?
Last edited by Beefster on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1658 (isolation #16) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Post by Beefster »

Alduskkel wrote:Isn't it really easy to figure out if you're the Vigilante?
There will always be some level of uncertainty on Day 1. You never can know if one of the other power roles chose to target the same person that died. You'll know when a vigilante is present, but you can't be so sure who it is.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1727 (isolation #17) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am

Post by Beefster »

Shepherd Mafia
  • 2 Werewolves
    1 Werewolf in sheep's clothing (Appears as a sheep to the shepherd, tries to act like a sheep)
    3 Town Sheep (They can't be the first to have a vote on another player)
    1 Shepherd (Like a cop, but returns sheep or not sheep)
    2 Watchers
    4 Vanilla Townies
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1963 (isolation #18) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Post by Beefster »

I just had an interesting idea...

Insanity!
  • 3 Mafia Goons
  • 8 1-shot Cops of varying sanities. (randomly chosen, independently: 35% sane, 35% insane, 15% naive, 15% paranoid)
  • 1 Psychologist (tells you the sanity of cops. If a mafia member is targeted, a random sanity is returned (with the same chance as with role assignment))
NIGHT START
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1986 (isolation #19) » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21 am

Post by Beefster »

That's interesting, though a bit swingy.

Just one thing- remove the GF because of the possibility of a lawyer.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1999 (isolation #20) » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Post by Beefster »

Due to the recruiting aspect, I would say that the mafia should always have to kill one of their own, regardless of their numbers. Otherwise, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE for the town to win. So basically, it's a suicide cult where whoever submits the recruitment PM dies.

Because of the alignment change and lack of town power roles, 2:10 is probably the ideal ratio. Very swingy.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2002 (isolation #21) » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Beefster »

Still, for the town to win in that case, they have to have 3 consecutive lynches (in essence), while the mafia only needs 3 mislynches at any time to win. With the consistent alignment shift, it's nearly impossible to lynch correctly even twice in a row.

It needs to essentially be a suicide cult. At a 2:10 ratio. The mafia needs 4 mislynches to win, the town needs 2 successful lynches to win. While this may sound unbalanced, because of the consistent alignment shift, it will be really hard to pin down the scum, especially without any power roles.

Throw in a few 1-shot cops. That should balance it out quite nicely.

So the setup would be:
2 Suicide Cultists (whoever recruits also dies)
3 1-Shot Cops (they also detect "fresh" recruits)
7 VTs
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2012 (isolation #22) » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:16 am

Post by Beefster »

I think you need about 12 VTs or some town PRs. Crosskills are less likely.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2015 (isolation #23) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Post by Beefster »

I've been in an 18 player open game.

OR you could flip 2 coins for the semiopenness. Your choice.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2026 (isolation #24) » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36 am

Post by Beefster »

I like the currency mechanic. For mafia, it could be based on starting wagons and getting non-mafia to join it. +1 point for the 3rd voter, +2 for L-1, and +3 points for getting a hammer on a wagon the mafia started. You could also throw in +1 point for bussing and -1 point for hammering.

Then for town, each player would get +5 points if nobody ever puts a vote on them.

Poisonous Mafia3 Mafia Poisoners
1 Poison Neutralizer
1 Doctor
1 Watcher
6 VTs
NIGHT START

Poison kills the following night. Poisoning is a factional power.
The Poison Neutralizer can prevent a player from being poisoned. (The night the poisoning happens)
The Doctor can only save a player that has already been poisoned. (The night after the poisoning happened)

INSANITY V23 Mafia Goons
8 1-Shot Cops of varying sanities. (40% sane, 40% insane, 8% naive, 8% paranoid, 4% random)
1 Psychologist (they investigate the sanity of cops. At the beginning of the game, mafia get to choose what sanity they will appear to be)
COP HEADSTART- with a compulsive investigation. Goons choose their fake sanity and fake result during this time.
I assume everyone will claim their result on day 1, so the Psychologist is recommended to come up with a fake result during pregame, so he won't become the instant target of the mafia.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2030 (isolation #25) » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 am

Post by Beefster »

I think my townie point earning should be revised.
-So for hammering scum, you could get +3 points
-For having no votes on you, you get +2 points.
-If you hammer someone with a power role, you lose 1 point.
-If you are put at L-1, you lose 1 point

-As a global power, you can give 1 of your points away to someone else, in addition to your normal powers.
-If you buy a power, you can't use it until the following night. (or day in some cases)
-You may have any number of powers and you can sell powers at half price (rounded down).
-You cannot use more than one power in a day/night cycle.
-Most power roles would cost at least 3 points.

Currency would make for an awesome theme game.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2041 (isolation #26) » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 am

Post by Beefster »

Beefster wrote:
Poisonous Mafia3 Mafia Poisoners
1 Poison Neutralizer
1 Doctor
1 Watcher
6 VTs
NIGHT START

Poison kills the following night. Poisoning is a factional power.
The Poison Neutralizer can prevent a player from being poisoned. (The night the poisoning happens)
The Doctor can only save a player that has already been poisoned. (The night after the poisoning happened)

INSANITY V23 Mafia Goons
8 1-Shot Cops of varying sanities. (40% sane, 40% insane, 8% naive, 8% paranoid, 4% random)
1 Psychologist (they investigate the sanity of cops. At the beginning of the game, mafia get to choose what sanity they will appear to be)
COP HEADSTART- with a compulsive investigation. Goons choose their fake sanity and fake result during this time.
I assume everyone will claim their result on day 1, so the Psychologist is recommended to come up with a fake result during pregame, so he won't become the instant target of the mafia.
My previous ideas got drowned out by shotty...
Criticism wanted.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3053 (isolation #27) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Post by Beefster »

I have an interesting idea... With an unusual mechanic.

Party All Night, Every Night
  • 2 Mafia Goons
  • 1 Watcher
  • 9 Vanilla Townies*
Every player can go to another player's party each night. (But not their own, strangely enough) This does not allow night talk (because everyone got too drunk to remember anything).
The mafia must decide who kills everyone that attends the same party he does, or the host if nobody else attended. Each goon can visit a different party, but only one will kill.
The Watcher (You can think of him as the designated driver) remembers who was at the party he attended (as normal- because he wasn't drunk)
Partying is compulsory.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3066 (isolation #28) » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:45 am

Post by Beefster »

ortolan wrote:
Beefster wrote:I have an interesting idea... With an unusual mechanic.

Party All Night, Every Night
  • 2 Mafia Goons
  • 1 Watcher
  • 9 Vanilla Townies*
Every player can go to another player's party each night. (But not their own, strangely enough) This does not allow night talk (because everyone got too drunk to remember anything).
The mafia must decide who kills everyone that attends the same party he does, or the host if nobody else attended. Each goon can visit a different party, but only one will kill.
The Watcher (You can think of him as the designated driver) remembers who was at the party he attended (as normal- because he wasn't drunk)
Partying is compulsory.
You need to be more specific about how the parties mechanic works.
Say you have Vanillas A-D, Goons E and F, and Watcher G.
A,C, and E all attend B's party. B and G attend D's party. D and F attend G's party. Suppose the mafia decides that E will make the kill. Since A and C were at the same party E attended, A and C are killed. B was at the same party G attended, thus his results for his watch would be "B".

Suppose there was also a Vanilla H that forgot to submit an attendance. He then falls at the mercy of Random.org, which places him at B's party,
Thus he is also killed.

Suppose Goon E attended A's party instead. Since nobody else attended that party, he then kills A when he arrives back at his house.
Get to know a meat boy

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”