[Standard] Survivor: Know Your Enemies (Summer wins!)

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #112 (isolation #0) » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Congrats, everyone, on making FTC. That is a big accomplishment and you all should be proud.

Making FTC is completely different from WINNING FTC, though, as two of you are about to find out. And more specifically, I mean "as Ari and Tris are about to find out." Normally I would tell you two that you're playing for second, but that would require either of you to peel off a single vote and even that feat is probably going to be an uphill battle.

Ari, when I said an FTC of you/me/Tris was the only one that any of us three had a chance of winning, that wasn't part of some scheme. That was the truth. So your speech explains
what
you did but is laughably short on answers for
why
those moves were good ideas that benefited you.

Tris, you played a decent game. It was also a flawed game, though, and Jess played the closest thing to a perfect game we've seen in a long time. I'm sorry Ari ruined your chances at having a shot of victory; you didn't deserve that.

I have no questions at this time. Congrats on your victory, Jess.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #124 (isolation #1) » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 pm

In post 122, tris wrote: a goat is someone you bring to the end to beat. and i could try to argue for myself, but i see the writing on the wall here. i am a goat here. sorry, i can't really muster the energy to try to push a different perspective. congrats summer.
Gonna use the second of my three posts to say you shouldn't feel bad about this outcome. You played a good social game and had a lot of people enjoy your company. And when the writing was on the wall you made an effort to change it up; it's not your fault you didn't predict that Ari was literally acting as an extension of Summer's playerslot. When F5 happened I'm not gonna pretend I didn't understand at the time why you voted for Malkon instead of Jess, but after hearing from Ari and Malkon it seems that vote wasn't on the table. You were dealt crappy cards but you did your best at playing them; in this FTC it is not a winning game but don't let anybody tell you it wasn't a respectable game.

Preview Edit: Ari, saving Jess is only a credit to your game if you explain why it was better than your other options. As it stands, it looks like you saved Jess because she fooled you into thinking that advanced your game and not hers.

For the most part the jury is not salty with you at all, Ari. We are
extremely
confused by your play, though. In Ponderosa we had a serious discussion about whether or not you were breaking the second rule of the game by obviously not playing to win yourself but to help a friend win. We had this discussion because
literally none of us thought there was any reasonable way you thought your game was better than Summer's.
When Malkon came and joined us and told us you actually thought this, it kind of broke our brains a little. So I guess my question is, why did you not see what everybody on the jury saw?
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #144 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:44 am

Aristophanes wrote:I brought Jess to F3 out of loyalty to my allies. I would have brought Awoo here as well if they had made it far enough that I could make that choice. I would have lost to them, as I am losing now, I suppose. I can accept the defeat, I just legitimately thought that my saving an ally despite knowing she was strong, that my honouring an alliance that started in the budding points of the game, that my ability to make this game what *I* wanted it to be rather than relying on others to get here or relying on challenge wins to get here, well I thought that would all speak to my abilities and to a winning strategy in showing how I had outplayed her here. I guess I was wrong.
Using my third and final post to reply to this. I want you to know that I understand this thinking and in fact have used it myself in #2016 when I won the FIC and chose to not betray my ally Ted Cruz, bringing him to FTC where he made me look like a chump instead of the game's uber-goat Hillary Clinton. Loyalty IS a valuable part of Survivor, and in fact it often can be a crucial part of jury management. So yeah, I completely understand why this is a frustrating FTC for you because I know how much it sucks when something you planned to be the capstone of your game turns out to be a surprise lodestone around your neck.

LSGs on MS tend to not be the friendliest to new players who don't know the expectations the community has of them; most games have the early boots littered with players who didn't PM enough or thought that "keeping the starting tribe strong" was the most important thing. There have been discussions about how to fix this, but I've concluded that sometimes players need to be kicked in the dick so they can improve next game. I know from first-hand experience that this FTC probably also feels like getting kicked in the dick. It sucks, but take solace in the fact that this is a special dick-kicking that many members of the community - longtime members, even! - never have the chance to experience.

Look at this FTC not as the end of Survivor: Know Your Enemy, but as a waypoint on the evolution of your LSG career. This hurts right now, but I guarantee next time you are within striking distance of FTC this will be an invaluable experience that very well could lead to victory in the future.

That's my time. Love you all (yes, you too, Ari <3) and I'll see you all on the other side of the reveal.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #177 (isolation #3) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm

After seeing that picture maybe it's six on the jury now.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #203 (isolation #4) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:34 am

In post 202, Pine wrote:And we spent the latter 75% of it justifying the twists thrown at us by mandatory participants >_>
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #207 (isolation #5) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:29 am

Agreed. There was definitely a point where I got mad at Mist for participating because they had already done the minimum contribution and I didn't want Pine and I to get derailed.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #210 (isolation #6) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 am

In post 209, Malkon05 wrote:Can we just agree to agree?
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #211 (isolation #7) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 am

In post 209, Malkon05 wrote:Can we just agree to agree?
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #219 (isolation #8) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Original Roll String: 1d20+2
1 20-Sided Dice: (7)+2 = 9
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #220 (isolation #9) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm sorry, you have failed to kill Malkon.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”