Let's Study Games - Redemption Mechanics

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Rick and Morty had a returnee as well, and so did Hogwarts (I think?) and maybe Conclave.

I really liked the way Civ did it (also that was four years ago??). with the social element still a huge element. I guess one quibble/discussion point I'd have is that I wish we let players know there was a returnee mechanic before it happened. Returnees haven't been disclosed, as far as I know, for almost any game we've had on site, and I think disclosure can bring about some additional gameplay elements.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:45 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 32, Silverclaw wrote:I'm prepared to be on the end that'll have to fight for this, but
defiantly no
, and for a few reasons:

1) Redemption Mechanics are a staple Survivor Mechanic from the actual show. Part of the mark of a good player is, in my eyes, being able to be ready for things like this.
2) Anyone who wants to find out will probably find out via looking at what roles the eliminated players have.
3) And even if they don't, you'll see eliminated players returning to the boards so often that you'll probably figure it out soon.
To respond to your first point, only two Survivor seasons have not disclosed the redemption twist to their players upfront. One, Pearl Islands, was appropriately criticized for basically only that reason. And EoE has its own series of flaws.

To respond to the second and third, I wholly disagree. Eliminated player roles on "Redemption Island" aren't consistently labeled that way, and most mods do try to conceal it from players in some way. If your implication is that experienced MS players might know there's a returnee, that's maybe reasonable. But is the goal with these twists to give experienced players even more of an advantage? If you're saying it should be obvious to everyone, why not just tell everyone?

Oh Ceph said what I was saying.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”