Let's Study Games - Redemption Mechanics

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Shrek
Shrek
Goon
Shrek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:28 am

Post by Shrek »

to be fair there were 8 returnees (technically) outlined in barely survivor and those meant that the entire game was extended by a few weeks to accommodate them so i would cite that as a good example— BUT you have to be comfortable with the concomitant complex label associated with such a thing. returnees equalled a solid third of the game and only a fourth of them had a big impact.

so yes it was good, but the rules of the entire game had to be bent to accommodate it. aside from that its very hard to make returnees work and i would rather not see it again even if it meant no second chances for people

also hey i was the returnee with a vendetta yay. i think survivor civ was what forced people to start using the classification system in the first place?
Last edited by Shrek on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrek
Shrek
Goon
Shrek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:31 am

Post by Shrek »

what i mean is that it took a lot longer than it would have otherwise. idk i was like straight zooted half the time there
Shrek
Shrek
Goon
Shrek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Post by Shrek »

In post 51, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 45, Shrek wrote: also hey i was the returnee with a vendetta yay. i think survivor civ was what forced people to start using the classification system in the first place?
*waves* hi Rebecca!
hello viviana/harald

hahaha our relationship change from civ to rpg was so funny
Shrek
Shrek
Goon
Shrek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (isolation #3) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:54 am

Post by Shrek »

i dont have any really solid input here but i just wanted to say that from the perspective of someone who played 5 out of 10 survivor games with returnees it feels like this twist has been really oversaturated and has not produced any notable results besides in barely survivor where there were 8 returnees. i will agree with deathnote and say that it's easy to say you would give a returnee your vote in the end, but from the perspective of weighing them against someone who hasn't been voted out it's almost always just going to come down to 'oh x didnt get voted out i guess i'll vote him'. and yes if i were on the jury with a returnee in the end i think that i would have that state of mind too, because they're just easy votes for the most part and even if they do make the end it's unlikely i'll reward being voted out under any circumstances unless it were due to something out of their control.

so yeah, it would take a very specific set of circumstances for me to vote for a returnee and in my honest opinion they should just be set aside for a while. like i really cant think of any immediate major advantages or shakeups that come from them beyond extending the game a bit.
Shrek
Shrek
Goon
Shrek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Post by Shrek »

tbh i feel like rewarding someone for being voted out at all goes against the spirit of the game a bit? like how people who got voted out in that one round of barely survivor immediately got back into the game on tribes they chose and got a free round of immunity in addition to it. the most i would do is one round of immunity assuming they come back at merge.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”