Survivormeet: 'Straya

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Survivormeet: 'Straya

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:10 am

Post by DeasVail »

G'day mates!

I've (semi-jokingly) mentioned a few times that I would host an Australian survivormeet, and following the last survivormeet, a few of you mentioned you'd be interested (maybe also jokingly!). In any case, Stoive (winner of Survivor: Village, woah!) and I are planning to make it happen.

When?

Because of the significant travel distance for anyone from not-Australia, we'd be aiming for sometime in 2025 to give people plenty of notice/planning time etc. We'll be seeking feedback on what times of year would work best for people, but would veto December/January due to flights and accommodation being more expensive during those months.

Where?

This is not set in stone, but we are currently looking at the Blue Mountains as a likely location, which is about 2 hours by train from Sydney. Stoive and I will cover accommodation costs, but I would recommend looking up the prices of flights etc. from your location to get an idea of travel costs.

Other deets:

I'd be aiming to have the meet last for about a week, to allow enough time for the Survivor game, as well as downtime for other activities and exploring the world heritage area that is the Blue Mountains (or wherever else we decide to have the meet).
We don't have a maximum number of attendees/players in mind at the moment, but would love to hear from anyone interested in helping with game design/general running of the game.

If you'd be interested in playing, helping to run/design the game or just hanging out, let us know! If anyone has a preferred time of year in mind, that would also be great to know, but for now we're just gauging interest.

Spoiler: Blue Mountains Location Shot

*view from accommodation not guaranteed
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:00 am

Post by DeasVail »

In post 4, Searl wrote: I'm also curious whether my opal card will still work after eight years :D
Honestly it probably would! :P

(though technology has advanced and the machines now accept debit/credit cards too :o )
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:20 am

Post by DeasVail »

In post 14, Thestatusquo wrote: DV I assume you are planning on modding?
Both stoive and I are planning on modding, yes!
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (isolation #3) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:52 am

Post by DeasVail »

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! The impression I've gotten from the two survivormeets I've attended was that people felt they didn't have enough time for non-survivor things. So, it would definitely be a goal of mine to strike more of a balance during the meet itself. Plus, if the meet serves as an excuse for people to explore other parts of Australia/New Zealand while they're here, then I'm all for that. :)
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #4) » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:53 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Aspirational interest is also acceptable!
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (isolation #5) » Mon May 20, 2024 11:07 am

Post by DeasVail »

In post 61, DeathNote wrote: Any more thoughts to when this might happen?
Hey! It is very likely to be the second half of July 2025 based on when most people indicated they might be available. Exact dates should be confirmed at least 12 months beforehand, but we’ll post here with any updates. :)

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”