What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #22 (isolation #0) » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 3, JacksonVirgo wrote:So it's either they claim and lose the Cops abilities which won't likely happen in practice or they don't claim and risk getting red-checked and eliminated (miller would likely either die or be claimed prior to lylo).
I like this concept a lot. I think it's really a clever idea that incentives actually thinking through mechanical decisions rather than going through the motions.
In post 4, Isis wrote:I like the second one better. The setup conceit seems fine.
I agree--the second one looks better. I think it's better not to concentrate all the power in one or two roles, and the second one also looks closer to what I would consider balanced.
---
I think the setup is pretty closed to balanced, but I don't think it's quite there yet. We will assume that we're talking about setup 2 since we all seem to agree that's the better of the two setups.

The general rule for mini normals is that town needs three moderately strong roles against an all goons team. Since the miller is mostly negative utility (and probably won't claim their info day 1 to avoid being killed), I would say this setup has roughly 3 PRs. Jailkeeper is a strong role, and the other two roles are moderately strong. Thus, the town roles are strong enough as-is. I would consider changing the cop's to N2 N3 like Isis suggested because there's a good chance even night doesn't get an investigation.

My main issue here is that scum have a lot of power, and while it's true that town has sizable amounts of power (and that this is a double investigative setup), I think it's too much and could easily lead to town being crushed. Remember, town already has the negative utility role which already serves as a gate of some kind. Since this is a double-investigative setup with a doctor like role, I do think mafia needs some additional power, just not as much as they have.

Thus, my suggestions boil down to this:

1: Gate the vanilla cop. Being able to identify any of them will be very powerful against this town, and Vanilla Cop is a really powerful tool here. I think 1-Shot or Novice 2-Shot would be fine. The former is probably better since N1 is the most critical night for info anyway. Mafia also already have the benefit of knowing that a cop exists, so I'm not particularly worried about them being blindsided here.
2: Make the cop N2 N3. This change isn't binding like #1 (as in it's optional), but I think it's better simply because surviving N4 as a PR is rather difficult in practice. Getting effectively zero investigations would probably hurt town a lot here.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:47 am

Post by Ircher »

I gave two options that I would be willing to approve of either. The thing about plain 2-Shot is that's almost as effective as an ungated vanilla cop. It's not quite the same, but being able to do the N3 investigation probably won't make a significant difference as the N1 and N2 investigations would. I expect mass claim to probably happen around Day 3 or 4 as that's pretty standard from what I've seen in mini normals.

I think you can also drop the compulsive requirement on the cop--town will almost always use it anyway. Holstering on using it doesn't really benefit town much.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #26 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:56 am

Post by Ircher »

As far as role pms go:

1) You need result pms for the Vanilla Cop, Cop, and Tracker. You don't have to include them in the role pms, but we do need to see them.
2) Compulsive isn't random in normal games. Please check the normal guidelines section of compulsive (on the wiki) if you still plan to use it.
3) Miller role pm is missing description of macho.
4) Typo: Miller role pm: "If will appear as a member of the Mafia to a Cop." --> If should be you
5) Roleblocker pm should probably say active ability rather than just ability for clarity for newer players.
6) Town role pms should likely have the win conditions listed, especially since the mafia ones do.
7) Nitpick: Most of your role pms use language that imply a player's action will always succeed. You may want to change it to use something like "may attempt to" or "assuming no interference" to clarify that it is possible to be blocked.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #32 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:50 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 30, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 26, Ircher wrote:6) Town role pms should likely have the win conditions listed, especially since the mafia ones do.
I've fixed up the other points but what does this mean exactly?
Seems I missed the town win conditions being listed when I first looked, so you can disregard this point.

(Also, technically speaking, for both mafia and town, there's the additional requirement that one player of the faction must still be alive, but that's not a huge issue in a mini normal.)
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #33 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:57 am

Post by Ircher »

If you repost everything, I can do a final look, and we should be good to go from there.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #38 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:44 am

Post by Ircher »

The novice 2-Shot Vanilla Cop is missing the information that they cannot use their ability night 1.
You also forgot to add the novice modifier in the other mafia role pms when listing teammates.

Everything else looks good. It should suffice to repost the novice 2-shot vanilla cop role pm.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #41 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:48 am

Post by Ircher »

It shouldn't. A Vanilla Cop Enabler would, but that wouldn't affect normal cops; it's specifically tied to the precise role name.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #42 (isolation #7) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:48 am

Post by Ircher »

Looks good to me.
/pass

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”