Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:25 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Ego. At first glance it looks extremely unlikely that the watcher gimmick will actually matter.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:08 pm

It's 50/50, unless the watcher claims or softs, or if the enabler softs their info. Even if the enabler does die first, the mafia watcher enabler might already be dead, or the mafia might be able to figure out the watcher from the enabler's ISO, or the watcher might end up randomly run up or NK'd before they can use their power.

And even if they avoid all that, the watcher will have one or two days to catch scum before massclaim, if they're lucky.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:04 am

In post 6, Datisi wrote:hmm. my first thought is to maybe buff the watcher into something like a cop, so that at least they can get each day's worth of usage if they do manage to outlive their enabler. though i haven't thought it through fully yet
This feels like a step in the wrong direction because it's dependent on so many things out of their control.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #11 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:57 am

In post 10, Datisi wrote:i am assuming that silence means the answer is "no".
it actually means "it was a difficult enough question that I thought about it and then forgot about it".

I'm not a fan of enabler gimmicks, I generally feel like they add complexity and swing without really making the setup better.

I like the rolestopper vig idea better, I think. Why do you have an informed and an enabler rather than an informed enabler and a goon?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #13 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 am

I would not recommend putting a vanilla cop in your setup if your philosophy is that mafia goons are boring, is the thing.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 am

The bodyguard feels a bit counter to the point of the setup, because scum know they can bus the enabler to disable the protective and then oops there's another one. And a one-shot bodyguard can really only accomplish much if they wait for a PR to claim and then guard them.

I think there's significant swing on whether people treat gunsmith clears as clears; obviously in the worst case, they do consider them clear and then the doctor gets checked. If they don't, which is more likely and also happens to be correct, then I don't really see where town's power comes from.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #17 (isolation #6) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am

In post 16, Datisi wrote:i was under the impression that gunsmith clears are generally considered to be Very Likely clears since there's very few roles that give a false negative. i know it't not 100%, but there's a middle ground?
weren't you the one that ran the game with 4 townies with guns and 3 mafia doctors or something
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #19 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am

In post 18, Datisi wrote:if your point is that people will modmeta me and see that i like to test the limits of nrg like that, fair point i guess?
Yes, but more likely, your game is just going to naturally attract people who enjoy you as a mod and are familiar with your past games. If the gunsmith claims while any of these people are alive, they're likely to say something.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #24 (isolation #8) » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:10 pm

With this many false guilties why does the gunsmith even have a false inno

Right now their results are barely more AI than flipping a coin.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #26 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:33 am

Yeah follow the cop seems a bit problematic. I like the alien change.

I guess it's probably
somewhere
in the realm of balanced with that? It's still swingy as shit, and it contains your favorite venge + vig combo. But that is pretty rare, especially since scum have a counter if the JK is alive.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #28 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:01 pm

In general it's often not a
huge
problem, but it's worse in the normal queue because people want, you know, normal games.

That said, you do have a mod reputation, so you will probably attract mostly people who can handle the complexity. It's definitely still bad, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

I think less swingy games are on average more fun though.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #30 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 am

Looks better for sure.

The main issue that comes to mind now is that if the miller claims miller they are likely to attract a gunsmith check which is Really Bad for town.

if you want them to be confirmable by the rolecop maybe backup vig or backup IC?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #32 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:26 am

Yeah.

I would probably drop the N2 from the JOAT in that case, both to give town a little more power and increase the chance of the rolecop check landing on the backup vig.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #34 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:33 am

Yeah.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #38 (isolation #14) » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am

Everything Chaos said is correct, yes. Nothing else looks wrong; I'll give it another look just to double-check once you fix those things.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #40 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 am

/pass

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”