Aristeia
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #41 (isolation #0) » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Post by Aristeia »

Modfather
11/10/22 Aristeia Datisi Datisi is one of the most passionate mods I have ever played with, his games are always the first thing I look for when I am considering signing up for something - this man lives and breathes mafia. I know this because every day when I wake up, I check discord and see he's tossed a new completely insane idea into the #mafia discord and I can't help but smile and laugh a bit. 99% of his ideas do not see the light of day - we are quite lucky that the ones that do happen on this website.

Here are a few of my favorites to have watched or played this year:

Datisi's Cafe: A Large Theme with a unique twist that allowed town power roles to decide whether to use their powers at night at a cost. This game played out splendidly with some interesting gambits that dealt the mafia team a blow which they did not recover from. But what really makes this game special is all the cute little touches Datisi puts into it - I especially loved all the custom pictures for each role pm.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: This twist is my absolute favorite - on each day the town would "nominate" players to become bomb experts and on each night the mafia would nominate players to be bomb defusers - players would then be put into a PT and get to defuse a bomb together - either side could win upon reaching a certain number of defusals and failing would result in the bomb and the defuser exploding.

It was high drama in the thread and the PTs as players jostled for who would get to be an expert and who should live or die. Every choice had lots of consequences and wifom and it was just delicious to watch.

The Turing Test: Did I mention Datisi loves WIFOM? That man might have been born an alcoholic by how much of it he drinks! The twist in this game was that instead of a nightkill, the mafia would put up two players for judgement and everyone would then vote on who is the mafia out of the two players. Unluckily I was dealt a mafia rolecard and I had to figure out a way to present choices to the town that would remove powerful town voices while still somehow getting the town to believe these strong voices were mafia. It was quite a balance and a lot of fun to play. Dats was an excellent mod and kept me company in the scum PT.

In addition to all these creative game ideas - Datisi also hosts some of the best Normal games on the site;

Large Normal 240: Baileyposting: A normal game built around a loyal vigilante who is out to hunt his own teammates and a dastardly mafia doctor who is trying to stop him from killing the innocent. This wasn't as funny as the previous games in this post but the lengths that both sides went to throw this game back and forth at each other was quite entertaining to watch.

Mini Normal 2262: A normal game with a backup vigilante with no real vigilante because Datisi doesn't like his millers to know that they are millers. A great read, back and forth action and a nailbiting finish at the end.

And on top of all these great games - he even hosts opens and infuses them with some of his own unique flavor;

Moderator of the Discord Server[Guardians of the Fortress]: The best flavor text I have ever read in a mafia game. This game had me laughing so hard I thought I would literally die. If you read any of these games for fun, pick this one, click on Datisi's ISO and enjoy.

PYP XY SS: I played in this one. Memorable for the scum team accidentally all picking the same role and the town team deciding to torture Datisi with theorizing over whether we should eliminate the last scum or kill all the vanilla townies for style points.

Lastly I just want to say how much I appreciate the time, effort and care that Datisi puts into properly formatting all of his games. It's just pleasant to have games that have the aesthetic feel of looking like they weren't slapped together haphazardly - his formatting is so good that some lazier mods on this site have begun shamelessly stealing from him.

Finally here are some of my favorite pictures he has included in his flavor:

Spoiler: #10

Spoiler: #9

Spoiler: #8

Spoiler: #7

Spoiler: #6

Spoiler: #5

Spoiler: #4

Spoiler: #3

Spoiler: #2

Spoiler: #1
Aristeia
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 pm

Post by Aristeia »

Game of the Year
11/10/22 Aristeia Prism Mafia Invictus Redux I believe that this game truly shines and stands out as the best game of mafia played this year on many levels.

A player list that just clicked:
Taking time and care to invite players she respected and enjoyed - Prism put together a very good player list in relatively short order - this was a party invite you did not want to miss and signups were done in less than half a week.

Players played together passionately - both sides throwing their all into winning through cunning plays and counterplays - most importantly things remained respectful and fun despite the tension ramping up throughout the day. The game pace was brisk and moved with fluidity and intensity - wrapping up in just under six weeks and kept us in the spec chat guessing all the way up to the end.

An engaging and witty moderator:
Prism went out of her way to make everyone feel engaged with the game, including those of us who missed out on the signups and hung out in spec chat - she created fun mini games for us to play and trolled us mercilessly with fictional storylines of things that did not happen - it felt more like a behind the scenes VIP pass to hang out and chill with the moderator. I've rarely seen a spec chat so lively and fun.

Mechanics that were well thought out and purposeful:
The core Invictus mechanic gave each player tremendous agency in terms of impacting the game state of their own accord and added an extra layer of complexity to the mafia nightkill planning as they had to think about which kills would both steer suspicion away from them as well as keep them out of the way of return fire. It wasn't enough to simply kill a player who suspected you to silence their voice as they could simply invictus you in return - this extra layer of complexity is fairly town-sided in practice and it was a real testament to the skill of the scum team to pull out a win under the conditions and made it an all time great ending.

a 100+ page hood:
This hood nearly ran as long as the entire main game itself - I've seen people go to tremendous lengths to pocket the opposition - this was on another level - for a month and a half it's like these two people moved in together and the vibes are just amazing to read. Truly one of the best things to happen in this game and we are lucky these two rolled neighbor together because I'm not sure any other pair would've made something so special and fun. I know a lot of people do not enjoy vibing or hoodplay but if one can't have fun in mafia, what's the point of it all?

Epic Roles:

How pumped would you be to play the game when you open a role pm like this:
It's like opening up a Christmas present and instead of getting a sweater you get an actual working lightsaber.

Spoiler: Dunnstral
Shit shit holy fucking shit
It's you, it's actually you
You're the super special role
I fucking love Cars 2

Dunnstral, you are
Tarhalindur, Sir Miles Axlerod Over Mafia
, aligned with the
Lamborghini Mafia

Abilities:
  • The Corporation:
    As a member of the Lamborghini Mafia, you have a factional nightkill available to you every night. You must specify which member of the faction will perform the kill. You may additionally talk with your partners at any time here.
  • All-Scum Passive Ninja Watcher:
    Every single night, assuming no interference with this action, you will be given a list of all players that visited any Lamborghini Mafia-aligned player, including their specific targets. Note that merely targeting someone with an Invictus does not count as a visit; the Invictus must actually be triggered to count. This action happens automatically and cannot be detected by any tracking or watching-like actions. Yes, I'm absolutely serious: You're
    Sir Miles Axlerod!
    You (supposedly) converted yourself to a solar-powered car and are the creator of Allinol, the next generation of renewable and clean burning fuel. You're a true partner in combating climate change and have gained Elon Musk's personal confidence, so of course you're privy to all of Tesla's moves, especially those that target your associates!
  • Master of My Fate, Captain of My Soul (Invictus):
    At any time, you may target a player by posting in your dedicated private topic. In the event you are successfully killed by any means other than the standard day elimination, another Invictus shot, or by a modkill, you will automatically attempt to kill your target.
  • Citizen of Selah:
    You have your voice and your vote. You also have your own dedicated private topic, which can be found here.
Win Condition:
  • You win when the Lamborghini Mafia make up at least half of all living players after any outstanding Invictus shots are resolved. At least one Lamborghini Mafia-aligned player must be alive to fulfill this win condition.

Incredibly precise moderation:
Prism did an amazing job with the moderation - from making the rules extremely clear, keeping track of player post counts and vote counts and staying on top of a tricky situation that came up involving moving posts from a PT to the main thread.

Lastly I really appreciated the time and effort spent on writing the flavor scenes - Prism is a tremendously talented writer and her work this game was some of the best flavor I've read in my time on this site - I highly recommend that if you are unfamiliar with her work that you read her iso in the game as it is great.

This was my favorite scene and it had me in stitches:

Spoiler: Meuh's Death
FLAVOR
Elon kicked the door with an awkward grubby leg, and instead of bursting through made only a rattle. The operators next to him reacting instantly, taking the garage door and throwing it upwards.

A lone cherry-red Model S, headlights off, was staring back at them. They had only just blinked the lights to on before Elon had the flamethrower off of his back and started torching, the operators following the barrage up with a variety of magnetic strips and tactical shots into the tires.

"ELON, THAT'S ENOUGH, WE'VE DISABLED IT, STOP! Christ, how many times did we tell him not to bring the flamethrower? Lucky the entire battery didn't blow on us..." yelled one of the hired veterans.

Elon stepped over a fragment of a burned sundress and stood face to face with the scorched and immobilized Model S Assassination Version, his beloved Meuh.

"I loved you like my own, Meuh. Hell, I loved you more than my own...but I knew that this day would sometime come. Why'd you escape, Meuh? And why Baltar: My people tell me he was a great guy. Had a poster of me on his wall."

"Elon, it's been so long...I-I..." the voice component showed signs of failure, partially from the magnets distorting her systems, partially from age.

"I always wanted to see you again. That day in Nevada, I realized what a terrible purpose you had for me...You wanted to sell me, didn't you? To foreign dictators and strongmen...I just couldn't do it. Human life is so valuable, Elon...All you've got it is each other..."

"...But I always wanted to see you again, Elon...Dad...You always seemed so lonely. It seemed like the engineers never understood you, and even with all the wealth in the world, a loving wife and family, you never could connect with them...Always searching for likes on Twitter, too plugged into modernity, staring at an emphemeral blinking screen...It's okay to be a dreamer Elon, to reach out to be space, but I thought maybe, just maybe...If I left, you'd miss me, realize how valuable the people around you, who love and understand you really are...Instead you thought I wanted to harm you, and that hurts...It really hurts...but I've been so lonely out here, too...I've always been, always will be your biggest fan...I'm so glad I got to see you one las-"

Before it could finish its final thought, Elon had set the torch to maximum and flamegrilled the car to oblivion. The battery exploded in the back, sending the walls of the hut violently flying, but the operators at the front remained magically unharmed.

"Well, sometimes children disappoint you. Great work tonight gentlemen, I love a crew that realizes the value of coming to your job and getting things done in person. Let's go home."

Prism's passion for mafia and relentless drive to be perfect and pursue excellence shone through in every part of this game and made it a great experience to be part of and read.

She will be missed.
Aristeia
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:33 pm

Post by Aristeia »

Don Corleone
1/06/23 Aristeia Datisi Datisi is probably one of the most high energy and passionate scum players on this site - his willingness to try bold new tactics and adapt his tactics to different teammates and game states is really something to marvel at. This smooth talking criminal is one of the best to play the scum alignment and I believe he deserves to win this award this year and I promise that I am not making this nomination out of bias or the fact that he's fooled me many times. Here are some of his most memorable scum games this year:

Large Normal 238:

Unfortunately Datisi had to rep out of this one fairly early because of RL issues but even playing for just one day you can see how well his play sets up his team for the long term and results in a win. From manipulating the day one game state to dissipate an early wagon on himself while also expertly distancing from his partner skitter and setting her up to be townread to even protecting someone who he thinks is his traitor because he does love style points - Datisi styles on the town when he is there. The most important move he makes is his choice to send skitter to do the N1 kill - predicting that she would be checked by the psychologist on night one - a move that proves prescient and alters the shape of the game down the line leading to a quick mafia victory.

Fuzzy Friends Coalition:

Probably my favorite game out of this list and embarrassingly the one where Datisi fools me the hardest. Datisi's dayplay is very sharp in the early part of this game, fighting his way onto the coalition while also distancing from his scum partner to win in the lategame should he fall. He manages to fool most of the players in the game while manipulating the game state so that numerous TvT conflicts deadlock the game after coalition failure - reversing his earlier position where he barely made it into the coalition but has set up everyone else in the coalition as more likely to be mafia than him. He has the game completely controlled and slowrolls towards multiple town eliminations chained together by TvT conflicts - unfortunately there is a cruel twist of fate and a replacement completely disrupts all of his plans and reverses the field on him - leading to him being eliminated on Day one instead. Despite this sudden reversal he still manages to win because he's set his partner up so well that the town is unable to find him. One of the finest examples of a mafia player manipulating town to fight each other while keeping his hands clean that I've seen.

Micro 1059:

A great comeback for Datisi after losing his teammate early in D1 - from a very sharply done bus to an expertly crafted fake-claim, Datisi glided through D2/3 into one of the hardest elos I've seen for scum. Up against two of the best town players in Scamper/Coral, Datisi does an absolutely amazing job on the last day to fool Scamper and get the win despite Scamper being intimately aware of Datisi's scum game and understanding each play point. Really a masterpiece of a final day and one of the hardest games to win for him.

House of the Dragon:

My favorite Datisi scum game in an ultimately losing effort. This game had a special election mechanic in which players would have to vote for a King and the King would appoint who had which powers etc. The scum team found themselves caught on the back foot and a very solid townblock formed very early in the game that dominated dayplay and nightplay - giving the scum very little chance to win. However Datisi did manage to get townread enough to get into this townblock and found himself armed with the Cop power, the most important power role in the game and one given to him because it was assumed he couldn't do much damage with it if he was mafia... Datisi ended up faking clears on two of his most scumread partners, saving them from elimination consideration and pulling them into positions of power in the town that gave them special night abilities that put the town on the verge of mylo three days early and could've resulted in an outright scum win as early as Day Four if a teammate did not flake out at the worst time.

The amount of work he put into this game was truly something, from manipulating town in two different large PTs [400+ PT posts in one] while also controlling the flow of the game in the main thread - Datisi managed to almost pull off one of the most unlikely comebacks I've seen.

Mafia Universe Championship Series:

One of the most dominant performances a mafia player has had imo, Datisi went up against fourteen top players he had never played with and managed to never be voted even once while maintaining control of the tempo and flow of the game from start to finish. His performance was so good that nearly the entirety of the MafiaU spec chat was completely fooled by it and the reveal that he was mafia at the end of the game when he held the hammer in elo caused pure pandemonium.

The best part of Datisi's scum game from the many scum PTs of his that I've read is how much fun he is to scum with - he is a great morale booster to his team and really brings out the best in others. One just has to click on the link in his signature to a scum PT with Menalque that ran longer than the game itself to see just how much pure joy he brings to a scum team.
Aristeia
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Aristeia
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:01 pm

Post by Aristeia »

In post 59, fireisredsir wrote:
Paragon
1/06/23 fireisredsir GuiltyLion i think GuiltyLion has been the best town player on site this year. he manages to be consistently top tier in multiple key town categories: his thought process is always clear and easy to engage with, he puts in a lot of effort every game, he is reasonable (and very pleasant!) to talk to, is usually able to get himself townread, and finally he just simply has very sharp and accurate reads and insights.

every game he played this year was a standout (all of them as town, eliminated in none of them, winning all but the two games that were barely lost in ELO to exceptional scum performances), but a few highlights include:

Holiday Dance Party, a challenging game full of tough solving where he managed to avoid giving in to paranoia on his dance partner Datisi as they never expected to endgame but went on to win as the sole remaining town pair (with a very fun read of a dance PT as a bonus)

KTaNE, a game that showcased great scumhunting as well as excellent lategame process to consider all possible angles on a full reread of the game to correctly land on the final scum

as well as House of the Dragon, where among other things he was instrumental in convincing town to change course and eliminate widely-townread scum Datisi in a 13p that town didn't know was melo while laying out exactly what the scumteam's master plan was and who they were

being both one of the best raw scumhunters and also one of the best collaborative townblockers (all while being humble, grounded, and friendly) is a rare combination in mafia, and every town that he is a part of has a much better chance of winning the game because of it. GL's performances this year to me clearly demonstrate that he deserves the title of Paragon.
seconded - GuiltyLion was also amazing in Eurybia and had stellar reads despite not having as much time as he usually does to play.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”