Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #315 (isolation #0) » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 313, Metal Sonic wrote:anyway YOLO

Nominating Steven Universe mafia for Game of the Year http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62366

(i still believe in my smite mafia nom btw, but some people apparently cannot appreciate so there)

A game of adequate length (3 months), Steven Universe mafia boasts a unique player-friendly neighborhood mechanic, called "Alliances/Fusions", where players can choose to ally and form a day-chat with another player. This is further encouraged with the unlocking of various unique abilities when one is in such an alliance. This mechanic allowed the game to focus more on the core tenets of mafia (scumhunting, and fooling town), while building rapport between players without the commonly observed game-threatening paranoia of pre-made neighborhoods. True to the source content, fans will be able to appreciate the vast amount of work Varsoon had put in to match the game's roles to its flavor, and this is actually very detailed. Although this resulted in sub-optimal fakeclaims for the scumteam which Varsoon had overlooked, they had managed to overcome this and win the game after a mind-numbing bussing strategy that could have gone wrong in several ways. Speaking about play -- both factions performed
admirably
. The scum executed a complex bus of its second-most-powerful PR to deliver vast amounts towncred to a teammate(myself), and as a player in-game remarked "What do you think the chances are of them being partners?" "essentially zero". The twist in the game came when the IC, Reasonably Rational, turned the tables on both masterminds of the scumteam with an awe-inspiring case (see above), completely penetrating the towncred I had amassed for myself as well as severely decimating the scumteam. However, the towncred I had amassed was ironically transferred to my remaining partner (Xtoxm) [as the case that the IC made had damned me, but in the same vein "cleared" my parter], whom successfully rode out the last few days (while making perfect kill choices) to win the game for scum. Both factions had made some glaring mistakes during the course of the game, such as the town dayvig misfiring, or a scum making a perceived scumslip, but these are typical of any healthy Large Theme. The game ended on an intense 4 player MYLO which was indicative of its balance as well as the pressure of the endgame situation for both factions. The roles were wacky, this could have been considered a Role Madness, great flavor, awesome modding, and commendable play on both sides. If you have issues with nominations of long games, then this game should be perfect for you.

3rd. Incredibly fun. The game was exceptional, and an amazing intricate puzzle, with clever play on both sides throughout.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #322 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 321, mastin2 wrote:No love for the flavor text?

Nominate Varsoon for Paperback Writer, due to STEVEN UNIVERSE MAFIA.

Dude went through the trouble of tracking down the average length of theme games to figure out the pacing of flavor in the votecounts to line up as nicely as possible. And it showed. The roles were well-written, with nice flavor blurbs, the VC quotes were hilarious and slowly progressing (see above), and the lynches and nightkills were simply stunning.

Seconded, didn't even know this was a thing..:D
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #472 (isolation #2) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 471, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 454, Antihero wrote:the self noms....

can this not be a thing

I'm never going to nominate a game other than one I'm involved in. I simply don't care enough about anyone else's games to actually read their game and determine if they deserve to be nominated, and I'm certain the majority of players feel the same way. It's simply too much time to properly evaluate a games and the merits of the nomination.

The problem with automatically discounting self nominations is you are now relying on the mod nominating performances they find notable for the players, because nobody else has any real reason to actually read a game. This is the single most significant obstacle in the path of games which deserve to be nominated, successfully being nominated. Then you add in the additional factor that if the pool is essentially limited to just players in the game, and you're going to discount those who were involved in a team performance nomination, the only people who are likely to have read the game and be eligible to nominate it are members of the opposing teams in said game, who certainly have a predisposition to discount the success of their foes either by simply refusing to acknowledge their strong play, or by suggesting their own play was weak, and thus they do not deserve praise.

Anyways, that's just my thought on the matter of self nominations. In this case, mastin wasn't even in the game, and seconded the nomination . I find it ludicrous that because Titus posted the nomination first (assuming mastin would have nominated it in any case), the nomination now jas a question mark next to it.

Actually, seriously, this thread really shouldn't have discussion about nominations at all. It's absurd that people come here because they thought something which happened was worthy of nomination, and then someone else immediately comes in and disparage the nomination for whatever reason. If you want to weigh in on who should win a scummy, join the committee judging them, don't come shit over what someone else believed to be an accomplishment.

Alright, enough of my rant. :)
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #477 (isolation #3) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 473, Ythan wrote:
In post 472, Cerberus v666 wrote:I'm never going to nominate a game other than one I'm involved in. I simply don't care enough about anyone else's games to actually read their game and determine if they deserve to be nominated, and I'm certain the majority of players feel the same way. It's simply too much time to properly evaluate a games and the merits of the nomination.

Then leave it to people who do?

I normally do, I just happen to be involved in this particular game, so I felt I would share my opinion.

In post 476, shos wrote:
In post 475, Ythan wrote:
In post 474, shos wrote:
In post 473, Ythan wrote:
In post 472, Cerberus v666 wrote:I'm never going to nominate a game other than one I'm involved in. I simply don't care enough about anyone else's games to actually read their game and determine if they deserve to be nominated, and I'm certain the majority of players feel the same way. It's simply too much time to properly evaluate a games and the merits of the nomination.

Then leave it to people who do?

Question is, thrn, how many games do the people who do, read?

If it's more than zero then leave it to them.

You don't understand. The point is that the pool of games from which people can be nominated is not all games. What if none of those people read that specific game I'm talking about? then I have no chance at all?

Yeah, that's basically the point I'm making. If the subset of individuals who take the time to read through other peoples games is skewed toward particular mods or players, those mods or players will received a disproportionate number of nominations, if self nominations are ignored.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #479 (isolation #4) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 478, Ythan wrote:No Shos, you don't understand. The point is that a game deserving of an award is going to get nominated here without the nominees themselves coming in here and asking for a trophy.

But you're wrong. You're extremely wrong. Honestly, how many people do you really think actually read through a sufficient quantity of games to be certain stellar performances aren't being overlooked?
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #484 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 480, Ythan wrote:The short response is that your opinion is irrelevant because we've been doing this for eleven years and you don't know what you're talking about.

Many things have been done in unfair fashions for centuries. The precedent does not mean that the way they've been done in the past is correct, OR that it can't be improved upon.

That's a very closed-minded response. In any case, I suppose this really doesn't matter to me enough to argue with you about, so I'll just take my leave.

pedit: i didn't make the self nomination. I couldn't care less about the nomination. I argued against the nomination in the thread, because I personally don't feel I deserve to be part of a town which wins said scummy, because my performance in this game was terrible in my opinion. I do, however, feel very strongly that if others want to self nominate, there shouldn't be a stigma upon it, so long as it's not actually against the nomination rules.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #487 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 486, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 484, Cerberus v666 wrote:
In post 480, Ythan wrote:The short response is that your opinion is irrelevant because we've been doing this for eleven years and you don't know what you're talking about.

Many things have been done in unfair fashions for centuries. The precedent does not mean that the way they've been done in the past is correct, OR that it can't be improved upon.

That's a very closed-minded response. In any case, I suppose this really doesn't matter to me enough to argue with you about, so I'll just take my leave.

pedit: i didn't make the self nomination. I couldn't care less about the nomination. I argued against the nomination in the thread, because I personally don't feel I deserve to be part of a town which wins said scummy, because my performance in this game was terrible in my opinion. I do, however, feel very strongly that if others want to self nominate, there shouldn't be a stigma upon it, so long as it's not actually against the nomination rules.

what do you think is going on that is unfair exactly?

That was more in response to Ythans assertion that "This is the way things have been done forever and you don't know what you're talking about so stfu.", than an assertion that something is actually unfair.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #618 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:56 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Nthd Varsoon

I'm currently irritated that I might have to miss his next game because too many games. I wouldn't care if his games weren't awesome.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”