Mini 14 ~ Mafia Holographica (Game Over!)

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Mini 14 ~ Mafia Holographica (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Vi »

Twelve people enter what looks like a fairly ordinary room, bare except for the setup in the center. Each sits down at one of the twelve fairly ordinary desks placed in a circular formation in the middle of the room. Each desk has a fairly ordinary computer with fairly ordinary keyboards and mice, fairly ordinary fabric-covered walls on either side separating the desks, and fairly
extra
ordinary virtual reality helmets.

The people - or should I say
players
- shake their mice a little and find that they are already at the login screen for a particular program. With a few rallying cries - "Let's do this!" - each person puts on their helm, adjusts the microphone to taste, and departs from this plane of reality.

---

This is the VR Arena. The players have become radiant holograms in this translucent cyan world. The floor and ceiling could be mistaken for glass, the walls were definitely solid but seemed to slightly glow their bright blue, and very slow ripples of same-colored light seemed to periodically pulse in and out of the center of the chamber.

This is still experimental, of course. The computers were something of a backup plan in case the VR aspect failed. But they don't seem to be necessary... The players came to find they were able to run, jump, and brandish their weaponry simply with their minds. A colored meter aggregating their physical stamina is where it feels like the edge of their vision should be, but isn't; as is a labeled pictoral representation of each of the items they could freely switch back and forth from. They would later find that the reality of the experience extended to making them pass out if they actually fell in the arena, but that wouldn't have deterred them even if they knew.

So, twelve people in a holographic room with weapons of mass mental destruction. Of COURSE they knew what was going to happen. But this game wasn't going to turn into a free-for-all. Some of them were acting as rogue agents. They had to be taken out via any means necessary.

A low whirring noise is heard, and the pulsing light seems to quicken as the life meters begin to animate. It's time to begin...

Cue mood music.

Important Links:

--------------------~spoiler protection space~--------------------------

Still on the Server:
(bolded means REconfirmed!)
4) Feysal - Town - Endgamed

5) Furcolow - Mafia - Survived

Unconscious from Sensory Overload:

8) Plum -
Tarhalindur, Wrexsoul over Mafia
- Independent - Faded Day 7

2) curiouskarmadog - Town - Faded Day 9
7) inHimshallibe - Town - Faded Day 9
12) VP Baltar - Town - Faded Day 10
1) chesskid3 - Town - Faded Day 11
9) TheButtonmen - Town - Faded Day 11
6) Gammagooey - Town - Faded Day 16
3) Fate - Town - Faded Day 16

10) VasudeVa - Mafia - Faded Day 16

11) vezokpiraka - Town - Faded Day 16
Last edited by Vi on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 am, edited 34 times in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Post by Vi »

How this game works:

Ruleset shamelessly pilfered from Vi.
Rules in bold have changed from the norm.

--Confirmation Period (Pregame):
What is it?
This is the period between when you /in to play and when I open the game thread for Day 1.
Mafia Pregame Talk:
Pregame is a bit different in this game, and the scum will not know their alignments during that time.
Pregame is for Confirming AND Demo Play.
Confirmation will be done via PM in this game. After I create the game thread, I will send out Role PMs. Please confirm by quoting your Role PM to me and adding "/confirm".
Can we start yet?
When all but two players have confirmed, I will unlock the game thread for the Demo Phase.

--Demo Phase:
What is it? What do I do?
During this phase, nobody will have an alignment assigned to them. This is simply a phase for everyone to get used to the "controls", so to speak. (It also gives the mod an idea of what to expect in running the game...)
When does it end?
Three days after the Demo Phase begins, I will ask if everyone's ready to move on. Unless a lot of people say no, I will assign Role PMs soon afterward and move the game into Day (the real game).
Does anything I do in Demo Phase count during the real game?
No.

--Day:
What is it? What do I do?
This is the period during which everyone who's alive can post in this topic. The Town wants to find and kill the Mafia (see below). The Mafia wants to avoid getting killed.
What is voting, and how do I do it?
There is no voting.
What is unvoting?
There is no unvoting.
Do we have to lynch?
Not really.
Can the Mafia talk to each other?
Yes.
Prod/Replacement Policy:
Prods are sent out if a player has not posted inthread for 48 hours. If the prod is not picked up in 24 hours, their slot becomes open for replacement. Because of the fast-paced nature of this game, now would be a great time to come up with ways to avoid getting left behind.
Player Abandonment Policy:
If half of the player list needs replacement at any one time, I will ask the remaining players if they want to keep the game alive. If a majority of the remaining players does not respond "Yes" OR I cannot find replacements within three days, I will declare the game abandoned and it will end right there.
Deadlines:
There are no deadlines.
When does the Day end?
The Day never ends.
What happens at deadline?
I ask for your address and come to your house.

--Twilight:
*sparkle*
THIS IS WHAT TRUE FEAR LOOKS LIKE
What is it?
Nothing that has do to with this game.

--
Night:

What is it?
Nothing that has to do with this game.

--THINGS THAT YOU CANNOT DO:
Can I talk about this game elsewhere?
While this game is ongoing, you are NOT allowed to discuss it in other topics/games (as this will likely get you modkilled in that game
as well as
this one). PMing other players about the game will result in a modkill. This game is in
this topic
, and at Night, the Mafia QuickTopic. That's it.
You use cool colors! Can I use them?
No. Impersonating the mod is both cheesy and fraudulent. I will use
gray
in my modtext. Do not use gray in your posts, or risk being modkilled.
I know how to prove my Towniness! I'll post my Role PM!
No you won't. Quoting your Role PM or anything I tell you via PM will result in your modkill. Trying to nitpick the formatting will result the same way. If you have questions about what you CAN quote, ask!
Okay, but I can still prove my Towniness through other, clever ways...
No you won't. As a moderator I try to avoid betraying who the scum are through any means. If you try to break the game, etc. through invisible text, cryptography, etc., you will be modkilled.
I have mod powers... so I can edit/delete this post... right?
No. What you post in this topic STAYS in this topic. If you multipost because the board is messing up, I will not delete the extra posts.
I'm dead. Can I still post?
No, with one exception. A recently decased player may make a "bah" post consisting of as many 'f's as you like. You may choose capital Fs or lower fs.
I have a QuickTopic. Can I post it?
No, not until the game is over.
You talk a lot about modkills. What is a modkill?
Pretty self-explanatory on its face - I kill you immediately. I also change your role retroactively to Neutral Survivor - meaning you auto-lose. I may penalize the rest of your faction somehow too.

--Other:
Stuff (stolen from Wizcat).
I am never wrong. Unless, of course, reality has warped, making me wrong. Please point occasions where this may have occurred out to me so that I may kick reality's ass. I specifically read for bold text, so use that if you want my attention.
Theme Game Disclaimer.
In spite of everything mentioned above and below, this game is not obligated to make sense until it is over. Rules may be overridden by certain abilities. I may include any number of exotic roles and abilities in this game -
and you will like it
2)
Miscellaneous.
Play to win.
3)
Other Things.
Have fun. Or else. And remember, it's a game - keep it classy and don't take things personally; everyone's doing what they have to to win.
4)
One More Thing.
Don't annoy the mod. The mod annoys back.
5)
Etc..
Etc. (Note: I reserve the right to clarify "Etc." at any time, to include adding or changing rules. You will be notified if that happens.)

--Hawt New Game Mechanic rules:
Holographic Nightless.
Instead of lynching and so forth, this game uses an HP system. Each player has the ability to Hurt (and possibly Heal) each other. When you reach 0% HP, you will appear as "fading" for one day and then you're out of the game. Instead of vote counts, I will show HP counts (accurate to 5%).
Ability Types.
Abilities are divided up into Special, Offense, Shield, and Support, and Factional. You may have at most ONE ability of each type active at any given time. Abilities that can be used more than once have recharge times. You MAY NOT swap out abilities that are recharging - for instance, if you fire on someone with a Plasma Pistol, you may not swap to a different weapon while the Plasma Pistol is recharging; you'll have to live with not firing for a while.
Basic Game Mechanics.

*All players have the ability to Move to a horizontally or vertically adjacent region. This ability has a recharge time of 1 day (so if you wanted to cross from the Northwest to Northeast regions, it would take one day from the time you started moving to get there and one more day before you could go anywhere else). Moves must be posted inthread (i.e. they're public).
*When an ability says "damage can be reduced to taste", that just means you can make the damage lower than the stated amount. For instance, you can reduce a 5-damage attack to a 3-damage attack for whatever reason.
*When an ability says "linear target", that means that the target is either in your region or in a region that is directly horizontal or vertical from yours. Geometry!
*Any linearly targeting weapon can alternatively target a direction. A shot fired in this way will have a 60% chance of hitting any player in that direction based on distance (if multiple players are the same distance away those ties will be broken randomly) and will continue until it hits a player or no other players are in range.
*Unidentified items will randomly drop onto a region periodically. If you are within that region, you may pick up that item as a free action. Only the first person to pick up the item gets it, and only that person gets to know what the item is!
*The Mafia Win Condition is to force a game state such that it is impossible to prevent Mafiosi from being the only players left in the game. This is not necessarily the same as saying that Mafiosi equal or outnumber Townies!
*Special, Support, and Shield abilities may be used inthread or via PM. Offense abilities and Moving must be used inthread.
Stasis Lock.
This game is (obviously) time-sensitive! If I, the mod, cannot be around to run the game, I will call a STASIS LOCK and lock the topic until I'm back. Nothing can be done during a Stasis Lock; all game-related QuickTopics will be locked.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Post by Vi »

Here is a sample Town Role PM. All players begin with an offensive ability, but there are no guarantees for anything else.
~NAME~

ALIGNMENT:
Town

HP: 10

--Abilities--

NAME:
Plasma Pistol
TYPE:
Offense (basic)

DESCRIPTION:
A basic linear-shot weapon.
EFFECT:
Inflicts 3 damage to a single linear target. This damage may be reduced to taste.
COMMAND:
PlasmaPistol(target, damage) //damage is optional; if not included it's assumed to be MAX
RECHARGE:
1 day
SCARCITY:
Common

NAME:
Guard Satellite
TYPE:
Shield (independent)

DESCRIPTION:
Blocks attacks from a given direction.
EFFECT:
Absorbs damage and other effects from attacks coming from a specified direction. This direction can be set directly, oriented toward a particular player, or oriented toward a particular region. The satellite will be destroyed after absorbing a certain amount of damage, and you will be notified when it happens.
COMMAND:
GuardSatellite(option) //a cardinal direction, a player, or a region
RECHARGE:
N/A
SCARCITY:
Common

You win when all threats are eliminated from the simulation.

Please confirm via PM. I wish you the best of luck.
This is a sample Mafia Role PM.
~NAME~

ALIGNMENT:
Mafia

TEAM:
_____, _____, ______
CHAT:
Here
HP: 10

--Abilities--

NAME:
Γ Pulse
TYPE:
Factional

EFFECT:
Inflicts damage equal to the average of all living players' HP (rounded down) to a single linear target. This damage may be reduced to taste. You may use this via PM. You may not pick up or equip Special abilities while you hold this ability (if you pick up a Special ability you will be given the option to drop this).
COMMAND:
GammaPulse(target, damage) //damage argument is optional; if not included damage is assumed to be MAX
RECHARGE:
7 days
SCARCITY:
N/A

NAME:
Plasma Whip
TYPE:
Offense (basic)

DESCRIPTION:
Deals significant damage to a nearby target.
EFFECT:
Inflicts 5 damage to a single target within your region. This damage may be reduced to taste.
COMMAND:
PlasmaWhip(target, damage) //damage is optional; if not included it's assumed to be MAX
RECHARGE:
2 days
SCARCITY:
Common

NAME:
Capacitate
TYPE:
Support (recovery)

DESCRIPTION:
Heals a nearby target.
EFFECT:
Recovers 1HP to a single target within your region after one day. You may target yourself. Recovery is capped at your initial HP.
COMMAND:
Capacitate(target)
RECHARGE:
1 day
SCARCITY:
Common

You win when it is impossible to prevent Mafiosi from being the only players in the simulation.

Please confirm via PM. I wish you the best of luck.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by Vi »

And... I'm going to send stuff out in the morning. Furcolow has until then to confirm in.

When 10 out of 12 people have confirmed receipt of their PM, I will open the thread for the Demo Phase.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:58 am

Post by Vi »

>
Furcolow has confirmed /in...

>
Initiating Demonstration Phase...
>
Mafia-type setup for twelve players has been generated. Demonstration setup evaluated as 60% relevant to the actual setup.
>
Role PMs are being distributed. This can take a while; please watch warmly. The game will begin when about 10 people have confirmed.

>
Base arena is displayed below... Transparency around edges was lost with new program, nonetheless it will do until ViBot gets a clue...

>
Reiterating the Role PMs: You must select a region from which you wish to begin when you confirm /in...
>
If players take too long to confirm, they will automatically be placed in the center...

>
This demo phase is here so as to take care of potential problems and questions before they become a threat to the actual game.
>
Generating sample explanations to anticipated questions...
>
This game will be updated at or near 2100 EST each day. However, actions resolve in real time. It is therefore possible for actions to become invalid in between updates. Invalid actions will be disregarded.
>
Recharge times are independent of updates. If you use an ability at 1300 local time and it has a recharge time of 1 day (i.e. movement), you will not be able to use that ability again until 1300 local time the next day. No fudge factor will be permitted.
>
The only commands that need to be stated inthread are movement and offense module usage.
>
ViBot uses an interpreted language. If you don't type commands in exactly (i.e. PlasmPistol instead of PlasmaPistol) but your intent is clear, the action will be processed as normal.
>
Recharge times (i.e. for Offense modules) are for ALL modules of that type. For instance, if you have a Plasma Pistol and a Plasma Whip, you may not use one and then immediately switch to the other and use it.
>
There are no alignments assigned for the demo phase. If you will, everyone is Town. (Or scum.)

>Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by Vi »

>
_12_ confirmations and initial positions have been received...
>
Creating arena...

>
Abbreviations are the first two letters of a player's username except for B: TheButtonmen. Colors are inspired by the corresponding avatars.

>
It is now the DEMO PHASE. You may use this time to familiarize yourself with the mechanics, plot strategy, or simply kill each other with impunity.
>
The DEMO PHASE will last for another 72 hours (more or less) from now.

>
The site's character cap is unusually low right now (<7400). This abbreviated HP count will have to do for now...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
|||
|
|||
|
||
|
|
|||
|
|||
|
|||
|
|||
|
||
|
|
|||
|
|||
|
(100%)
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

Move East

Party in the NE corner yo
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Post by Vi »

Five minutes trying to play with the action resolution spreadsheet have convinced me to go with a different way of resolving actions that doesn't work on real-time.
But more on that later.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Testing, testing, one two -

PEW PEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
MagneticWipe(South of my position)
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

also just in case you don't like unbolded things
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

Gammagooey wrote:Testing, testing, one two -

PEW PEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
now come join the partyyyyy
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Naaaaaaah.

Move to Far West
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

I'm slightly confused about moving though
is the first move instant
and then you have a 1d cooldown
or does it take you 1d to get anywhere and then a 1d cooldown on top of that?
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

I Thought it was rook-style movement with 1d to get there and then a 1d cooldown but this WAS partially to test it so we'll find out soon.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Post by Vi »

chesskid3 wrote:I'm slightly confused about moving though
is the first move instant
and then you have a 1d cooldown
or does it take you 1d to get anywhere and then a 1d cooldown on top of that?
The first one. Movement is instant, and then there is one day of recovery.

Worth noting: For obvious reasons, moves can't be taken back in this game.

GG cannot move to the far west in this case because it's two spaces away. He CAN move to the NE, SE, or center. His move was not counted, and he may Move again at will.

EDIT: Yep, we're quickly showing up the naysayers who were skeptical about needing a demo phase >_>
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

NE party looks pretty cool then.

Move to NE
Feysal
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Post by Feysal »

Move(UP);

This is going to be one weird game. I have no idea what I'm doing, or what strategy I should be using.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by Fate »

HEHEHHE KILL KILL
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Post by Fate »

SPARK SAP: DEATH

PLASMA BURST: EVERYRONE

I PREDICTED YOUR PLACEMENT VASUADE. NOW YOU DIE.
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Fate »

Move: Center

The obvious choice is picked by no one.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Post by Vi »

Fate wrote:
Move: Center

The obvious choice is picked by no one.
This move is illegal, as it is two spaces away...

One moment, please.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Post by Fate »

TOP RIGHT-> CENTER.

ONE SPACE.

THERES EVEN AN ARROW POINTING FROM THERE TO THERE>

WDDFFFFFFFFFFFF
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

horizontal and vertical only.

No diagonals for you.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Post by Vi »

All right, I hate to change mechanics IMMEDIATELY but this is quickly getting into "eff this noise" territory.

Let's go with the alternative plan of action, specifically one that doesn't rely on everyone waiting for ME to confirm what's going on. Pay attention.

---

ACTIONS RESOLVE AT 2100 EST ONLY, AND IN THIS ORDER.

*Shield
*Support
*Offense
*Move
Moves of like type resolve simultaneously.

All cooldown times roll over at 2100 EST. That means that if you use an ability NOW that has a recharge of 1 day, you have to wait until I update before you can use a similar ability. If you use an ability at 2059 EST, you have to wait one minute for the rollover and can then use it again if you so choose.

What this also means is:
>Move(NE)
>SomeAbility(Vi)

registers as

>SomeAbility(Vi) (from WHERE YOU'RE AT NOW)
>Move(NE)

---

All actions up to this point have to be wiped to accommodate this change. My apologies, bear with me, etc.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Post by Fate »

WHAT THE HELL KINDA FOUR SQUARE MUMBO IS THIS.

MOVE TO THE DIRTY SOUTH

I HEAR THERE ARE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN THERE.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”