What makes a good town player?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #166 (isolation #0) » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I haven’t read the entire thread but a key factor is confidence. I learned this the hard way in a MU game I played where I got mislynched. If you lose confidence in your ability to prove your towniness, you won’t get tr, no matter what else you do. In that game, I made the critical mistake of losing hope when being wrongly sr and that 100% contributed to my mislynch in that game. Why? If you allow other people’s bad reads on you to fuck you up and adversely impact your gameplay, people will auto view that as scummy.

Essentially, if you’re not confident about your own towniness, how can you expect others to have confidence in your towniness if you don’t? It’s not an easy feat when your dealing with players who sr you for incorrect reasons but you can never lose hope and have to keep the fght alive. People find this incredibly annoying but unless I virtually have no clue about what’s going on in a game or for whatever reasons play badly, I almost always get obvtown read now, even if I literally have to piss people off to make that happen. I have found that sometimes hydra partners can get in the way of that but usually only when you’re in a multihydra. So, while it’s never fun to be considered annoying, it’s definitely preferable to getting mislynched. In short, if you don’t believe in yourself/your towniness, no one else will.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #171 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 167, northsidegal wrote:something that occurred to me recently is that i don't think that what we typically think of as real-life charisma actually translates into being able to have people follow you. what i mean by that is that players who i think of as the most charismatic in the traditional sense of the word aren't actually the players who i think of as most being able to get the lynches they want, and vice versa: players who most often get the lynches they want i don't think of as the most traditionally charismatic. if anything, charisma in the traditional sense just seems correlated with not getting lynched - not even necessarily getting townread, just not getting lynched.

of course, this could just be a function of the specific players that i'm thinking of, but it seems to me that it's never through traditional "charisma" that hard-gotten lynches are attained.
Agreed, it’s often the least charismatic slot, somehow translates to the least towniest looking slot. It has very little to do with likability in general but more in being perceived as sincere and genuine. I know for me personally, I used to have trouble getting tr until I learned to develop confidence. I think probably one of the worst things a good town player should ever do is worry about getting tr, because it reads scummy and not genuine. The more you focusing on doing townie things like trying your best to form reads, the more other people will tr you.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #172 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 169, northsidegal wrote:i think "force of personality" is exactly what i would call the trait that correlates with getting the lynches you want. very good term.
In post 170, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:
In post 169, northsidegal wrote:i think "force of personality" is exactly what i would call the trait that correlates with getting the lynches you want. very good term.
This is also my experience
Well yes and no, if you have a meta of convincing the rest of the playerlist to sheep you on bad lynches, you can have charisma up the wazoo and no one will care. That’s why I only try to push others to sheep me, when I’m like 97% sure I’ve hit scum, because I know that a combination of trying to drive what inevitably turn out to be mislynches, will just hurt players’ trust in your reads. In early game especially, I’m far more confident on my trs and feel far more confident in vetoing those lynches and I am usually quite persuasive in that and get listened to, provided I don’t get NK’d. My early game tr accuracy is pretty high. In contrast, my sr accuracy is much better in late game, because it’s a process of essentially narrowing down the towniest from least towniest. That’s how I eventually solved YGM.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”