Let’s talk about blacklists

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #24 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Post by Isis »

How does toxicity work? Is it like one person is a jerk 60 and another is a jerk 54 and any pairing of two players exceeding 100 creates a toxic spat in a game? Or is it like some players are sodium and some are chlorine, and if you mix those you get salt, but that's the only way you get salt, a specific combination.
If it's 100% the first one blacklists shouldn't ever be supported, if it's 100% the second one it's a very good idea, it could be in between and then I'm somewhat more confused.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #26 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Post by Isis »

I feel like I need to get involved in more toxic fights to get a good idea of how they work
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Post by Isis »

Why the flip are you secret alting to respond to an MD thread
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #58 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 57, Luke82 wrote:forget a bad past/game
If you do blacklists it should be based on an expectation of future bad behavior and not revenge for past bad behavior
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #61 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:59 pm

Post by Isis »

People like random blacklist threads but I reread the OP and it's about "site administration level" changes and I kind of can't imagine what could be different besides pairwise bans, which seems like a nonstarter.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #67 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Post by Isis »

I don't really think it would be abused, except people pointed out that some people would add users that are not personally abrasive but also don't try very hard in the games and considered that abuse, I would probably be doing that and not considering it to be abuse :shifty:
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #83 (isolation #6) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Post by Isis »

The games that run out of replacements are the 40-50ps that actively "saturate the market" to the point where every active user of MS has either queued for the game, replaced into the game, or decided they don't want to get involved in the game. Everything else gets replacements very quickly because "games with no delay between expression of interest and role PM" are a special category of game that cannot increase their supply to meet demand, and demand happens to be higher than the natural supply.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by Isis »

It would not be a high difficulty feature to modify the report function for something similar to what CreativeMod referenced. The optimist in me hopes that warning and tempbans are a rare enough occurrence that asking listmods to manually do that isn't a colossal task either, though.

Post 87 does present what seems like a pretty reasonable policy.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #96 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Post by Isis »

You can use the report button for violations of universal mafia rules, because those rules are listed alongside site rules, and you can use the report button when someone breaks site rules. So if someone posts their role PM, you can report it.

Theoretically if a mod had a rule in their ruleset that was not among the mafia rules in site rules like "don't prodge" you could PM the mod but it wouldn't be within purview of the report button. In practice there's like virtually no problematic players that go around breaking rules that are not in site rules like prodging or posting unspoilered images in games under mods that prefer that not be done and get themselves blacklisted that way. Heated posts that strict mods take issue with and lax ones do not all fall under the umbrella site rules: "Do not make any post or start any thread with the intent to insult or offend any other user on this site.
Do not make any post or start any thread that abuses or harasses another user." and so could be linked to reports.

I don't see why you would time blacklists and force a player to remove an entry from their blacklist after a certain amount of time has elapsed. The blacklister can decide for themselves whether to remove the entry, games aren't played in PTs so it's possible for them to find out whether their behavior has improved. The blacklister is also reducing the number of games they can potentially join so they already have an incentive to make a rational decision on whether the blacklist is still warranted.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”