Is it Ethical to Replace into Your Alt?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 am

Post by Sleepless Assassin »

Any strategic replacing is unethical. I know this is up to interpretation, but I've always assumed anyone who replaces out is considered to have lost that game regardless of which fiction wins. So if you're one for statistics, is it really worth taking a loss on one alt to benefit another? Either way, yes, unethical. Play the game as it was started or don't play. Replacements should be for emergencies only.
3-2 as scum and 5-8 as town

Www.escapeintothemixradio.com/EMRchatroom.html come say hi
Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Post by Sleepless Assassin »

In post 32, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 30, Sleepless Assassin wrote:Any strategic replacing is unethical. I know this is up to interpretation, but I've always assumed anyone who replaces out is considered to have lost that game regardless of which fiction wins. So if you're one for statistics, is it really worth taking a loss on one alt to benefit another? Either way, yes, unethical. Play the game as it was started or don't play. Replacements should be for emergencies only.
Replacements are
objectively
not just for emergencies only.

These are valid reasons to replace out:

Unforeseen scheduling conflicts (something makes you V/LA and you didn't anticipate it before /inning)
You cannot play the game anymore (if a game is actively distressing, or worse, traumatizing, nobody should be forced to play that game. Don't confuse this with "the game is unfun" or "I don't like the game", this is for when a game is actively detrimental to you)
Emergencies (if something needs your immediate attention, paying that attention is more important than Mafia)
Those all sound like emergencies are far as an online game is concerned.

---------

Alyssa if it's a playstyle thing I'd suggest sticking it out but I don't understand why anyone would intentionally want a quiet playstyle. People townread high activity and scumread low activity despite saying otherwise.

I know it's an unpopular opinions but to me in a perfect world you wouldn't see anyone replaced. If a player goes inactive regularly, people just don't play with that person anymore. I do understand a situation where someone is in the hospital or whatever other RL things can happen and by all means they shouldn't be worrying themselves with a silly game. So yes there are situations where it's acceptable. But I've always thought the replacement rate on mafiascum is just plain ridiculous. To know that any given game will have replacements feels wrong. To be able to guess which players will get replaced before a game even starts is even worse. It just changes the game too much. Everyone has their own opinions and playstyles and people are playing based on those people so for others to come in and replace them and be completely different absolutely impacts which faction wins. I don't like it.
3-2 as scum and 5-8 as town

Www.escapeintothemixradio.com/EMRchatroom.html come say hi

Return to “Mafia Discussion”