Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 am

Post by DkKoba »

Spoiler: original OP:
Hi!

I'm making this post so I can get the attention of MS admins mainly, but I was looking to push to have Mafiascum participate once again, as I feel that the competition has evolved further from what it was when the support was pulled.

I won't be linking anything due to site rules, but basically another website hosts a yearly competition where mafia communities send 2 representatives, 1 main player and 1 backup, in order to compete over the course of several games.

I have heard over on MU that people tell us that our community's towngame is overall weak, I would like to prove them wrong. Also it would help bring awareness to our community and the niche we provide as no other site has had what we have in terms of flexible posting in games due to the longer deadlines as well as a defined system for balanced closed games.

This is me asking the admin team to A-OK myself facilitating our representation on MU as I am very familiar with the website and its community and how the competition works, having 2 players from my original community, Epicmafia, both be finalists.

Here are some players I would like to preliminarily nominate: MariaR(due to familiarlity with deadlines and their overall play I have seen there, I understand if their lack of participation on this site may be disqualifying for some), CabD, Pookythemagicalbear.

I think these 4, and yes I included myself, primarily due to my own familiarity with the shorter deadlines and ability to participate, are good candidates.

Nominations are typically required by mid-April so yeah :)

Current system: Volunteer, with an Nth

Current nominations with nths:
Not_Mafia
Andante

Current self-nominations awaiting nths:
LLD
Last edited by DkKoba on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:38 am

Post by DkKoba »

The setup this year is Mountainous 15p, 3v12, which is meta for mountainous on that website.

So keep this in mind.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:58 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 2, Ircher wrote:Maybe you should pm zoraster about this directly. I think you would get a faster response that way.
this is something I have, in fact, attempted.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (isolation #3) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:00 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am just asking for the bare minimum to acknowledge something the community might like and give permission because that is legitimately that *only* barrier to this.

I figured making it public would lead to a more likely response such as has been common in the past with other things.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:00 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 5, Menalque wrote:this is a cool idea, Koba

what are the in-game deadlines like?
36/12
48/24
72/24

Are qualifier deadlines

I think semis and finals are 72/24

All in hours
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:54 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 13, Prism wrote:Oh, and I nominate Not_Mafia.
You could have just left it at "uninterested".
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (isolation #6) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:28 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 15, Prism wrote:He's a better player than me. Feel free to disagree, but my nomination stands. I won't get into the gutter with you.
Please do not post in this thread if your intent is to be toxic. It is clear you are using subtle sarcasm and snark to pretend plausible deniabllty.
I know you have issues with holding grudges for >5 years but do not bring this into a thread about the site as a whole where objectivity is asked for.

There is no way you think NM, despite being a fun player to play with - is a good fit for a competition like this and it is immature of you to maintain this.

Thank you.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (isolation #7) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:46 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, Menalque wrote:I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
This is where i state i also factored in scumplay and scheduling with those excluded names too- but i forgot about alyssa honestly.

Nsg and skitter i dont think would be able to keep up due to how the deadlines are structured - and thats fine thats why they play on here. If they state they have the ability to play thats fine but the backup needs to be 100% someome who isnt at risk of flaking.

I'm surprised people are not thinking MariaR is a good pick - i can link some of her MU games if we get a greenlight. One thing is she has experience with many players who are finalist contenders, and winning *against* them - an important asset.

But yeah - this is not only about townplay even though it is plausible to get a 100% town rand and it not mattering, remember to factor in the other side, players get judged on individual performance.

Spoiler: NM thing
My apologies, I know NM is also good but also from my point of view it looked very much like a mocking tone to insult the competition as well.
Last edited by DkKoba on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #8) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:31 am

Post by DkKoba »

I don't think anyone was nominating me at this point but I am going to be representing a different community this year and thus am removing myself from the running as well - however if anyone needs any tips on MU culture or any meta on any players in their games they may consult me if we do get to go :)
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:31 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Alright since we have the greenlight, I'm going to help facilitate this and keep track. I will make this a nomination + 2nd system for initial pool and then I will help narrow it down.

If you do not wish to play and perceive yourself as a potential nominee, please state in the thread so you can be removed.

If you have ANY questions about this, feel free to ask! I have been an on and off user on MU for about 1.5 years now, and as well have played with many of the former finalists in games across sites.

I will gather up the previous noms and compile them but my revised nom list from me is:

Hectic
MariaR
CabD
Pookythemagicalbear
Nancy Drew 39
Petapan/Catboi/Gira

If I didn't list your name, either I have not seen any games from you in the past year that I think would be good enough to stand out past round 1, you have already declined in this thread, or I believe you unlikely to be able to play due to your play schedule on the site itself.

Generally - if you are not known on the site, they will need to see you stand out in a way - so if you are generally a quiet player it may not be the place for you. Also people will post a LOT sometimes, especially some of the more potent champs reps from the scarier communities.

I'm double checking when the deadline is for reps but lets make the deadline for nominations... about 1 week from now:

[deadline]1 week[/deadline]

That should be plenty of time to narrow down our pool.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Post by DkKoba »

(expired on 2022-03-29 21:37:24)
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (isolation #11) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I mean regardless of if i help or not I'm going to be running to another community I support(Epicmafia) and give them the nom's meta so it really doesn't matter since I'm not choosing anyone myself, just helping organize. (I also will be providing meta for the noms I do know so don't worry it works both ways).

Not seeing your point, I just was the one who was primarily *pushing* MS to actually be in this year pretty hard publicly.

I just like the communities I belong to and don't try to use that to gain an advantage for myself like that, I'm honorable :P
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (isolation #12) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, Menalque wrote:I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
In post 11, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think Cabd or Pooky would probably be good representatives for us out of the initial suggestions
So far, CabD and Pooky have 3 votes and are nominated to be the nomination.

We also need a backup as well btw.

Feel free to nominate or nth anyone you see fit, except people who have declined to enter.

People who have actively declined so far: Prism, Skitter30
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (isolation #13) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am a part of this community and I respectfully reject that notion, thank you.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (isolation #14) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Post by DkKoba »

well the thread has been up for a week, I have posted it in the discord, and there is literally a deadline for submissions, so sure, I can remove the deadline if people are so sensitive to it.

The point is to gather a nomination pool that is easy to create and then go into a further, longer term, stage of eliminating them.

Also please stop making the fact I am competing for another community a point because it literally does not mean I will sabotage MS. You are implying that it will by making it a point.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (isolation #15) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 41, Bell wrote:Shouldn’t the people in question be asked first before voting on them.
they are free to decline the nomination.

Not_Mafia has expressed disdain of MU in games I have played with him so I very much expect he will decline here.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (isolation #16) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 42, Andante wrote:I'm not sure how well known I am here, but I'd be down to play (only if yall would want me to though!! it's ok if no) I'm not sure who all is interested, and I don't want people to feel forced to have to do it cause like, yeah those deadlines are crazy different to MS deadlines, someone used to MS, then gets thrown in a 12/12 game? ehhh but yeah, figured I'd at least throw my name out there. I haven't done 48/24 in a while, but like, that's the kind of forum maf I come from, but if someone else wants to do it, go for it!! but I'm not gonna voice for/against someone who hasn't even said they'd want to, but if people want me to... I'd be so happy to rep MS!!! wooooooo!!
(Also, I won't be crushed if people don't want me to... I understand.. I promise I'll give my best those games though!!)
i didnt know if you wanted to play or would be able to, but I nominate Andante too, she also has been amazing on MU
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (isolation #17) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 44, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 41, Bell wrote:Shouldn’t the people in question be asked first before voting on them.
This would be my preference too. I think we should seek volunteers who WANT to play, then nominate/vote/discuss among those excited participants.
What is wrong with having an opt-out system? Genuinely curious since being nominated =/= forced to play.

I am simply copying the system that literally every other community I have seen uses, and works.

It would take extra time to do that, plus also it would feel disappointing to nominate yourself to play and literally no one votes for you, don't you think?
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #18) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I think you all confused "nominate someone" for "force them to play".

My plan was to contact anyone who received a 2nd nom (which I was going to do now for CabD+Pooky)

Since not every player camps active threads, especially some that are very good nominations.

But sure, if the majority of active people here want to do volunteers I will simply send out a mass PM to people I think would be interested and do well and we can go from there. I will wipe the OP and start from that.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (isolation #19) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:27 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 55, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Oops.

I meant to say that I would prefer a new thread made by the Mod Team with a Sticky on it.
Why?
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (isolation #20) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 61, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 58, DkKoba wrote:
In post 55, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Oops.

I meant to say that I would prefer a new thread made by the Mod Team with a Sticky on it.
Why?
Because the Mod Team isn't going to be playing, has the official capacity to mail people and have authority and weight behind it without any ethics issues and because they're the ones in the end who have to submit the nominations to MU anyway so I think having them organize the thing sounds like a very good plan.
I told mods explicitly that I would help organize so they would not have extra work in organizing this, so you should frankly not offload this work to mods just because I am trying to make decisions.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #21) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:44 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I do not see why you are so against me, when this is simply clerical work and organizing info into 1 place and updating a thread.

I am not someone who is immune to input, as I've already even updated the OP to reflect the requested self nom system(something I feel was something you pushed for your own self interest due to your self nom being inserted and nobody nominating you) - But At the end of the day I am not choosing who goes, I am definitely offering my input and discussion however and you will not silence me as an active player.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (isolation #22) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 70, AniX wrote:The decision of the mods to take a hands-off approach was not a resource issue so much as it was a policy determination that we were and are uncomfortable with having too great a hand in the decision-making process here. I am speaking as a mod but not FOR the mod team when I say that if people feel a separate, more formal thread would help facilitate the process rather than hinder it, I don't think that would be objectionable.
There is 1 loud user asking for this, I personally feel I am active enough where I can update things and send stuff out in time, but if more agree with that sentiment I'm going hands off with organization fully so there are no complaints. I won't be silencing my input, however.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (isolation #23) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I'm going to consider anyone who has received an Nth or nom in the thread as an Nth for anyone who volunteers if no one is opposed to that, since it doesn't make sense to have to re nth them.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (isolation #24) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:59 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I wasn't aware I had executive control over who gets to go
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (isolation #25) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:59 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 79, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 71, DkKoba wrote:I do not see why you are so against me, when this is simply clerical work and organizing info into 1 place and updating a thread.

I am not someone who is immune to input, as I've already even updated the OP to reflect the requested self nom system(something I feel was something you pushed for your own self interest due to your self nom being inserted and nobody nominating you) - But At the end of the day I am not choosing who goes, I am definitely offering my input and discussion however and you will not silence me as an active player.
Kay so a few things.

First of all, I'm not against you, I'm for Ethics. But since you seem determined to take this personally and make it personal by insulting me, lemme go down the line a bit here.

I never volunteered. I asked a question wondering if I even could play again, both as a method of saying "I am a person who also had MU Champs experience" and because I was genuinely curious if I could because if I want to play, I'd probably rep Liar's Club again. I have 0 interest in Repping MS on MU, or playing on MU again.

Your insult here is proof why you should not have any hand in this decision whatsoever. You took a valid ethics concern backed by moderation and chose violence to insult me instead. You have in the process of this thread insulted Prism, N_M and myself.

It is not okay to act as you have because people are uncomfortable with how you are handling things.
I did not insult anyone.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (isolation #26) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Post by DkKoba »

If you wish to discuss things like that, bringing them up in this thread is not appropriate.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (isolation #27) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:26 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am stepping away from doing this because I don't want drama. I will still be voicing my opinion in the new thread, and still pushing my own voice. I don't wish to constantly have to respond to misrepresentations of what I have said or am doing - and frankly I am probably one of the most active members of this community and I am disappointed by how some have treated me just because I was trying to do something for others.

This was supposed to be something that was supposed to be fun and bring people together, not incite drama and it just makes me sad that that is what it devolved to.

I did not intend to insult anyone, what happened with Prism was simply because I know they have a grudge against me, and knowing how NM usually plays in games makes it feel like for a competition like this it was a joke submission, even though I am aware NM has good reads and such it did not seem like a good faith nomination since I also am aware that NM dislikes MU and has expressed that in games I have played with him, so I falsely assumed that this was known about him as well.

I never thought NM was bad I just didn't think he particularly cared not wanted to participate.

LLD I did not mean to insult, but rather found it hypocritical that they were accusing me of special interests while advocating for a system that would push them into being a nominee much more easily when it seemed like they were interested. I was wrong it seems and I acknowledge that - however this was how it felt when I was trying to simply help the community and they kept pushing this specific system.

I wish to be recognized as an active member of the community, and not feel alienated as I just did. I pushed to get us to play here, because I like this community. Please don't make me regret that.

That is all the clarification of things I was misrepresented on and I want to squash this drama - > if you have anything further to discuss bring it to my DMs, do not please discuss it in public any further. I hate drama. I do not want it. I want peace.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (isolation #28) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:26 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am putting this is a new post but there will be a new thread, I talked with a moderator and that's what it seems like will happen so sit tight.
retired

Return to “Mafia Discussion”