Mafia Universe Championships - Representative Nominations

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Post by DkKoba »

SOME NOTES ABOUT THE COMPETITION:

The setup is 3v12 Mountainous.

The elimination is compulsive plurality everyday, with hammers possible past day 1.

The deadlines you are able to pick for the qualifiers, usually its either:
12/12
24/24
48/24
72/24
(all in hours)
I believe there was a 5 day one but no one really picked that one iirc.

We will need to choose a Main Representative and a Backup. The backup will play if the main representative cannot play anymore.

The choices must be finalized by APRIL 23rd.

I propose that we select via a 2 round selection process:

1) Similar to scummies, we nominate a player. Any player who receives at least 2 nominations will be move on to the next part.
2) We will have a focused discussion period about the nominees and who should be sent. Critique of play will be present.
3) We will do a ranked choice vote and then choose that way.

This feels like the most fair and objective system that ensures a strong candidate ends up going.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by DkKoba »

From the nomination document: "Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600-700 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!"
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Post by DkKoba »

The tournament structure
135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
QUALIFIERS: 9 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 8 will select 27 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 9 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Relevant mechanics info

Day start.
Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
Thread is locked during Night Phases.
Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO
Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia factional kill is mandatory.
Mafia may communicate at any time.
Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 1 hour before day end).
The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Post by DkKoba »

The games will be between April-mid June and the semi's in July/August. Finale game will occur in August or September.

This is a long term commitment!
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I decline to offer any sort of clerical help in organizing info or anything. That is up to anyone who wants to step up for it.

If people could look over the system I proposed in , and state any objections or modifications, that'd be great.

Otherwise someone should propose a solidified other system if they disagree with it, just so we have something to go off of.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, catboi wrote:
In post 15, Bell wrote:I volunteer to receive voluntary private messages volunteering to participate in this voluntary tournament and then aggregate that list and send wherever.when people figure out what to do with it.

And if people just wanna pop their heads in and volunteer in thread, cool. Glad you’re comfortable with that.
perhaps we should first form a central committee for the purpose of deciding on volunteers to organize the selection process for volunteers
thats not enough bureaucracy
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 18, Ythan wrote:
In post 7, DkKoba wrote:a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff
Oh shit
yup! the creator of mafia himself :P
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 23, Andante wrote:I'm not even sure who all is interested, and I'm not throwing out names unless those people voice interest, cause yeah, the deadline difference is a huge factor, the forum maf I come from is that fast paced play (which is why my play is so strange to all yall here) every year people are always like "idk who to send!!" yet no one has ever even brought up my name/asked me (even though I've gotten some great compliments from people for my "scary scum game" :) ) so this year I'm just like "why not?!?" like, my feelings won't be hurt if we don't want to send me, but I know I could do it, and do it well, I'd have a lot of fun, and hey, who doesn't want to rep the community they love? I have a lot of experience with fast paced games, thus I figured I'd speak up. I'd happily be our nom, and I'd happily back anyone wanting to do it!!!

(I'm not a huge fan of discussion forums, but figured this was worth speaking up about, and umm yeah I would LOVE to do this, but won't be mad if I'm not the rep!! WOOOOOO go MS!!!)

At the end of the day, doesn't matter if we even send anyone, GO MS!!!!(We're the best team out there!!!)
if pooky doesn't want to go I think this is largely the best person we can send fwiw based on her experience ^
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:45 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Hopefully someone steps up to make a decision on what system we're doing, the sooner the better.

I vote the one I proposed if it matters, would be preferable to lay out 1-3 systems and then vote on it so there's 0 complaints about it.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 pm

Post by DkKoba »

please tell me you are joking because there's no reason to go around in circles on the methodolgy.

the reason I just made the decision on how to do it earlier was to avoid this kind of circular discussion on how to decide because yeah.

Just hoping someone decides to step up.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (isolation #11) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:19 am

Post by DkKoba »

wolfy response tbh
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (isolation #12) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:08 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 47, Irrelephant11 wrote:Can schadd_ somehow mod the tournament? I think that would be great MS representation
Its all automated! Though i think theyve done flavor in semis onwards in the past?
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (isolation #13) » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:27 am

Post by DkKoba »

nominating nancy drew 39 :p
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #14) » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:40 am

Post by DkKoba »

also mariar is also a strong pick, id just like to widen the pool :p
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (isolation #15) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:47 am

Post by DkKoba »

for all the fuss that was made when I was willing to do the work to help facilitate nominations, and now that we have about 3 weeks left to finalize a representative and a backup, it is a bit weird that no one actually has stepped up yet to do this.

Atp I'm just assuming its going to be the person with the most nths because there's no real system and only realistically 2-3 people have expressed a willingness to play.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (isolation #16) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:56 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 65, Gamma Emerald wrote:I might end up being a nominee for starmen.net forums so maybe scrub my input from the record as well
You're very much a part of this community, your input is valid.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (isolation #17) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:16 am

Post by DkKoba »

Just a note, Catboi is up for vote for Epicmafia community right now out of 4 people, so there is a chance they end up having to rescind their nom here.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (isolation #18) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:48 am

Post by DkKoba »

oh I thought I replied

I thought I sent that it was a good idea
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (isolation #19) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:49 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 72, Prism wrote:Catboi and Andante got an overwhelming number of noms. ND39 got exactly two, I'm not sure if anyone else did.

Can do a simple ranked choice voting, probably IRV style elimination. 1-2-3, no commentary or teardown needed. Build a candidate up if you want to.

Have the candidates confirm interest, give a deadline of like the 12th to give us some leeway and let the mods have a veto for behavioral concerns.

Mods refuse to serve as an objective, authoratative leviathan in the one place they should be are kicking the can to a group that is obviously never going to be completely unanimous.

At some point we just need something to work, and I think this does. If I get enough agreements/people are fine with the deadline suggestion and IRV voting I can just start it within the next day or two. If people are worried about me specifically posting deadlines whine at the mods to post a countdown and maybe they'll actually put a minimum amount of effort in.
sounds reasonable, and also nice that someone is stepping up.

edit: i found the tab where I had typed up the post I thought I sent lolol
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (isolation #20) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:43 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Nancy deserves at least a vote, she also has experience on MU and in her last game with me, she had a really good PoE, just got drowned in mechs due to the setup itself and also uh my scumteam fearkilled her lol. I think she would be able to produce enough content to stand out and thus is a good candidate.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (isolation #21) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:35 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Talked with Nancy, they may be unable to play so probably reasonable to do Catboi - Rep, Nancy - Backup.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #101 (isolation #22) » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 99, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
nth Datisi, Luke, Catboi, Shiki

nominate Alyssa the Lamb, Skitter, GuiltyLion, mastina
Alyssa and skitter already declined fwiw.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #111 (isolation #23) » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:54 am

Post by DkKoba »

dwlee privately declined ? Iirc due to poor experience with the fast deadlines when we both played but nth dwlee if they had a change of heart.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #118 (isolation #24) » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I love that we went through all that drama in the last thread just to essentially revert to an extremely similar plan that I had suggested just now... Not to begrudge Prism, because I am glad they did step up but it is annoying when things like this happen for no good reason.

And if mods wanted to say "We don't want Nancy Drew 39 to play" they can just say that instead of using this cringe corporate like speak that dances around the point. I thought I had commented on that but yeah. The role of moderators should also include helping boost community engagement, being the very people with the executive powers to facilitate such engagement in an official manner. I understand some may be busy IRL and fine with just doing the administrative duties of running their queue - but there should at least be 1 moderator happy to take on the role of engagement so this kind of stuff doesn't happen when a community wide thing is organized :) - Or at least delegate an elevated role that is allowed to make decisions for these types of things, etc.

Dunno just venting thoughts, the process was a bit more frustrating to watch than it should have been.

Also update, catboi is 100% in the running here, Epicmafia chose him as neither the representative or backup(to be fair, he was up against a strong cast of players, as that community is really weighted with high level players as well as not being as active as those others)
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #120 (isolation #25) » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:14 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 117, Lukewarm wrote:I have scrolled through both threads to compile all nominations

Nominated, and said they were open to competing
Peta/Catboi
Datisi
Lukewarm

Nominated, but I did not see where said if they were interested yet. I will PM all of these names
Notscience
NSG (not sure I recognize this name in order to extrapolate the full name - someone please help so I can send the PM)
MariaR
Hectic
NancyDrew39
Shiki
GuiltyLion
Mastina
dwlee

Nominated, but Self-Recused
Spoiler:
Skitter
Prism
Cabd
Pooky
Not_Mafia
Alyssa
Andante

I have no intention to double check any players nomination for a ban history. That seems harmful to this process, and I don't feel comfortable with myself, or any other user who is not a mod, announcing that a player is not allowed to participate. My suggestion is that anyone nominated, to personally think about if they have been banned in the last 2 years (cut off provided by mods) and just decline the nomination. No reason is needed to decline, so there is not need to even bring up past bans.
MariaR is a strong maybe, Hectic I DMed earlier and is a no, he said he doesn't want to play mafia in super serious settings right now, mods basically said nancy is a no, Dwlee I actually was wrong on them saying they don't want to play champs but expect a decline (maybe?) because they played on MU and didn't like the deadlines and high post rates at all.
NSG= NorthSideGal, She might play, she would be strong, only concern is ability to have activity due to them having V/LA over the course of full 24 hour periods iirc?
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #146 (isolation #26) » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:46 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 145, RadiantCowbells wrote:I'll
Nominate MariaR

The people that would have received nominations before her from me are either disinterested or representing other sites and I think that her general proficiency, experience with MU meta, non controversy as a pick as a prior listmod, and relative balance of scum and town performance make her a good choice.
She was one of the very first noms from me ya noob ;P
retired

Return to “Mafia Discussion”