What Do You Deem Scummy?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:30 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

- Narrative-ization: when I perceive that someone is inserting a narrative to someone else's words & actions that I don't think is there

- Voting for town: especially more than once

- Unreasonableness: Being less willing to hear me out than I would normally expect a person to be

- AtE: especially to do anything other than defend oneself
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:35 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Sure, that too. I suppose "the wrong amount of reasonableness"
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 20, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 5, Irrelephant11 wrote:- Narrative-ization: when I perceive that someone is inserting a narrative to someone else's words & actions that I don't think is there

- Voting for town: especially more than once

- Unreasonableness: Being less willing to hear me out than I would normally expect a person to be

- AtE: especially to do anything other than defend oneself
Narrative-ization in the right circumstances can be a good scum tell.

Voting for town in itself isn't scummy. Heck I'm sure most everyone has had a really bad game as town at some point they'd love to forget.

Unreasonableness? I wish it was inherently scummy. I've seen a lot of it from town unfortuantely that I couldn't see myself backing a wagon on that basis outside of meta.

ATE I think is the great mislynch shouter. It's the buzz word that gets people on the wagon and keeps them there but the truth is that town resorts to this all too often as well. Yes you'll get this from scum too but I strongly believe that you will get a scum lynch in spite of making this point not because of it.

Outside of replying to those specific points and at the risk of getting overly simplistic when hunting scum I would just generally look for the players who seemed like they weren't really interested in actually scumhunting. Maybe their posting looked like they were trying to lynch someone but they didn't really seem to care if the person was actually scum. Maybe the player made comments about things they thought were town but then ignored them because it would derail the wagon they're pushing. Just things that would lead you to believe that a paticular player wasn't genuine in their motives in the game in ways that didn't have other town explanations. (and yes always think about how you'd play certain power roles but obviously don't mention things out loud that would lead to aiding scum in power hunting.)
Voting for town is obviously not proof someone is scum, but voting for town sure is something scum do. Otherwise VCA wouldn't mean anything. I guess I should specify that I'm talking specifically about votes that actually participate in an end-of-day elimination.

I agree that unreasonableness isn't inherently scummy, e.g. when it comes from someone I'm playing with for the first time. But the rest of my sentence was intended to mean "if I know someone to be 8/10 reasonable usually, and they're being 3/10 reasonable with me, that's a scum tell" - because it means they probably have motive to not see things my way. Sometimes this leads to accidental PR hunting.

I don't think AtE from the person being wagoned is necessarily scummy (depends on context, possibly NAI). But I do think scum are more likely than town to use AtE in all other scenarios (e.g. to push someone else, to affect the gamestate, to try to discredit someone leading conversation, etc).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”