Why did newbie games end?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aureal
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #45 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:19 pm

Post by Aureal »

I was very skeptical of the removal of the newbie queue, and every time this comes up again I find myself still completely in agreement with those who are distressed by its removal. I just went through the last queue thread and took down when games were fired from the start of the thread in 2017 and the end in 2023.

Spoiler: 2017
Aug 2
Aug 7
Aug 11
Aug 14
Aug 19
Aug 25
Aug 29
Sep 5
Sep 13
Sep 18
Sep 21
Sep 25
Oct 7
Oct 8
Oct 10
Oct 17
Oct 26
Nov 2
Nov 3
Nov 7
Nov 15
Nov 20
Nov 27
Nov 30
Dec 4
Dec 12

Spoiler: 2023
Jan 11
Jan 24
Feb 4
Feb 7
Feb 18
Feb 25
Mar 1
Mar 5
Mar 20
Mar 24
Apr 5
Apr 15
Apr 26
May 5
May 11
May 26
Jun 16
Jun 19
Jul 5
Jul 19
Aug 8

So did it fire games more quickly in the past? Yes, in 2017 newbie games typically fired within a week. In 2023 most games fired within two weeks. Does this justify removing the queue? If the alternative was sending newbies into games more quickly and consistently, maybe. What's actually happened? They were directed to play a Normal or Open game; or technically Approved Open, which fires much less frequently than the Open queue at large, they are the underlined games in my lists below.

Spoiler: Normal

Sep 8
Sep 17
Sep 24
Oct 6
Oct 11
Oct 25
Nov 5
Nov 18
Nov 20
Nov 29
Dec 6
Dec 18
Dec 28
Jan 3
Jan 23
Jan 31
Feb 3
Feb 15
Feb 21
Mar 1
Mar 14
Mar 14
Mar 16

Spoiler: Open

Sep 11
Sep 17
Sep 17

Sep 20
Sep 24
Oct 3

Oct 9
Oct 10

Oct 26
Nov 4

Nov 16
Nov 23
Dec 2
Dec 7

Dec 10
Dec 14
Dec 30

Jan 5
Jan 11
Jan 25

Feb 7
Feb 9
Feb 24
Mar 14
Mar 18
Mar 24

Is this really better?
Normals have a comparable rate of fire, typically being about two weeks until another one fills, just the like Newbie Queue was. Opens in general do somewhat better, but Approved Opens specifically are far more irregular- often that slot is just empty and it takes a month for the next one.

This has not done anything to address the issue of 'newbies waiting too long' for games (which has always been an issue, some people will still flake even if their game starts the next day).

The Newbie Queue was a valued and important part of this site, and I feel its removal has diminished its vitality. I understand that the hope was to funnel players into other queues and cause those to churn games out more quickly but I feel there are simply
fewer
games being played now. You cannot just force people who want to play a newbie game to sign up for something different- all games are not the same. Choice is a vital part of enjoying being here playing. There's been many times I've felt like I wanted to sign up for something, but looking at my options in signups left me uninspired. You know what happens then? People likely just don't sign up to play
anything
. The Newbie Queue wasn't even just a benefit for newbies. Many more experienced players also enjoy playing in a (hopefully) slightly more casual environment with a solid setup like NewD3. It was a needed source of consistency, where you know what you're getting, as opposed to the other queues where everything else is dependent on what the moderator feels like doing with it. The lack of the newbie queue is doing an injustice both to newbies, by throwing them into the fire with games full of experienced players right off the bat which can easily lead to needlessly discouraging them; and to more experienced players who enjoy that experience.
"Yeah after a point it felt like Aureal was the only one talking sense despite being a goose so I just followed."
-furtiveglance

Return to “Mafia Discussion”