he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life [GAME OVER!]

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:51 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life

This game is dedicated to the memory of John Horton Conway (RIP)

Rules shamelessly taken from Cat Scratch Fever's Mini Normal 2271

Image Image Image

Player List:

Bellaphant*
Invisibility

Doctor Drew*
BloodB0t
Roden

Random Nurse

bob3141

Dunnstral

Peregrine*

Espeonage
T3

Quiet Owl
NorwegianboyEE

Not_Mafia*

sheepsaysmeep

Hu Tao

Save The Dragons

humaneatingmonkey

bold = confirmed, asterisk = prod, strike = replaced

Alive Players:

Spoiler:
Living PlayersInvisibility
sheepsaysmeep
Hu Tao
Save The Dragons

Dead Players:

Spoiler:
T3
Random Nurse
Dunnstral
humaneatingmonkey
Roden
bob3141
Not_Mafia
NorwegianboyEE
Peregrine

Events and Quicklinks:

Spoiler:
Last edited by KittyTacky on Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 24 times in total.
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:52 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

The Basics

Days

- Day 1: 10 days. Days 2+: 7 days.
- Plurality Lims.
- You may vote for a no lim, the threshold for which 50% of players alive. This is the only way to no lim.

Nights

- 2 days.
- Fast nights are always an option and must be unanimous.
- If you have a night action but do not submit one, it will be counted as a no action.

Prods

- 36 hour before prod, respond to prod within 24 hours before replacement.
- Please make a game-advancing post in order to reset the prod timer.
- On your third prod, I will also begin searching for a replacement.
- Players who have declared V/LA will still be expected to post every 72 hours.

General rules:

- Follow all site rules.
- You may not talk to each other about this game outside of the threads I have created for this game.
- You may not talk about other ongoing games in this thread. Please read the latest update to the site rules about this.
- Do not use out-of-game influence.
- Replace out by PM'ing me directly. Do not talk about it in the thread or threaten to replace out.
- Do not quote or pretend to quote OR copy from any private communications from this game, including private threads, private messages, and timestamps. Paraphrasing is acceptable. Please read the latest update to the site rules about proving private communications.
- No provable randomness. This includes using dice tags or posting screenshots of random.org results. You may use randomness, but do it outside of any game threads where it cannot be proven (e.g.flip a coin irl).
- No cryptography. Breadcrumbing is okay. Use common sense for this.
-
Be nice.

- Always play to your win condition.

Setup:

- The number of town:scum is 10:3.
- All Private Topics will be open at all times.
- All Mafia members have daytalk and are multitasking.
- Sample VT PM:
Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome! You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no active abilities.

You win if all threats to the
Town
are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:53 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

!!GLOBAL INFORMED!!

There are multiple Bodyguards in the setup.

!!GLOBAL INFORMED!!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:53 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Sending out role PMs... Sent! Waiting for 10 out of 13 players to confirm (11 so far)

Starting soon!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:59 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Generation 1 Begins!

Flavor 1.0
Rules of Conway's Game Of Life

The universe of the Game of Life is an infinite two-dimensional orthogonal grid of square cells, each of which (at any given time) is in one of two possible states, "live" (alternatively "on") or "dead" (alternatively "off"). Every cell interacts with its eight neighbours, which are the cells that are directly horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent. At each step in time, the following transitions occur:

Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies (referred to as underpopulation or exposure).
Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies (referred to as overpopulation or overcrowding).
Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives, unchanged, to the next generation.
Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours will come to life.

The initial pattern constitutes the 'seed' of the system. The first generation is created by applying the above rules simultaneously to every cell in the seed — births and deaths happen simultaneously, and the discrete moment at which this happens is sometimes called a tick. (In other words, each generation is a pure function of the one before.) The rules continue to be applied repeatedly to create further generations.

Source: LifeWiki

Vote Count 1.0With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Not Voting
(13): Bellaphant, Doctor Drew, Random Nurse, bob3141, Dunnstral, Peregrine, Espeonage, Quiet Owl, Not_Mafia, sheepsaysmeep, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons, humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-04 10:00:00).

Mod notes:
I will use a script for VCs so please don't abbreviate names.
Bellaphant and Random Nurse have until (expired on 2023-06-26 10:00:00) to confirm or they will be replaced.
All players have confirmed. Also due to certain events I am stressed so VCs might be a little sparse.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #5) » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:45 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Forgot to update the title. And considering the theme I kinda had to do this, haha.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #6) » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:47 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Bellaphant has confirmed.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #7) » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:32 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Random Nurse has confirmed. All players have confirmed.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #8) » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:25 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I need help for the auto-VC. http://www.robandkriskris.com/votecounter/faq

I did what it told me to do here (read the FAQ) including the formatting but it's still saying "Neither the player list nor the day URL were found." What am I doing wrong?
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (isolation #9) » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 72, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 70, KittyTacky wrote:
I need help for the auto-VC. http://www.robandkriskris.com/votecounter/faq

I did what it told me to do here (read the FAQ) including the formatting but it's still saying "Neither the player list nor the day URL were found." What am I doing wrong?
You do not have the "living players" stuff set up correctly. You need the area tag and for it to say living instead of alive. And then you need another area tag with a link to the first post of the current day.
I just did that, nothing works. Might just count them manually. Expect a VC by evening.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (isolation #10) » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:09 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.1
John Horton Conway

John Horton Conway (born December 26, 1937, Liverpool, England; died April 11, 2020, New Brunswick, New Jersey) was a prolific mathematician active in the theory of finite groups, knot theory, number theory, combinatorial game theory and coding theory. He also contributed to many branches of recreational mathematics, notably the invention of the Game of Life, and was the leader of the JHC group.

Conway was emeritus professor of mathematics at Princeton University. He studied at Cambridge, where he started research under Harold Davenport. He has an Erdős number of one. He received the Berwick Prize (1971), was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (1981), and was the first recipient of the Pólya Prize (LMS) (1987).

Conway's parents were Agnes Boyce and Cyril Horton Conway. John had two older sisters, Sylvia and Joan. Cyril Conway was a chemistry laboratory assistant. John became interested in mathematics at a very early age and his mother Agnes recalled that he could recite the powers of two when aged four years. John's young years were difficult for he grew up in Britain at a time of wartime shortages. At primary school John was outstanding and he topped almost every class. At the age of eleven his ambition was to become a mathematician.

After leaving secondary school, Conway entered Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge to study mathematics. He was awarded his BA in 1959 and began to undertake research in number theory supervised by Harold Davenport. Having solved the open problem posed by Davenport on writing numbers as the sums of fifth powers, Conway began to become interested in infinite ordinals. It appears that his interest in games began during his years studying at Cambridge, where he became an avid backgammon player spending hours playing the game in the common room. He was awarded his doctorate in 1964 and was appointed as Lecturer in Study at the University of Cambridge. He left Cambridge in 1986 to take up the appointment to the John von Neumann Chair of Mathematics at Princeton University.

Conway resided for many years in Princeton, New Jersey, United States with his wife and youngest son. He has six other children from his two previous marriages, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. Conway died in New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA, of complications from COVID-19 at age 82 on April 11, 2020; his name was among those listed on the New York Times' front page of May 24, 2020, where he was described as “a magical genius”.

Conway is the inventor of Conway's Game of Life, one of the earliest-studied and most well-known examples of a cellular automaton. He discovered many of its most fundamental and important patterns, including blinker, block, lightweight spaceship, pulsar, and R-pentomino. He was the first person to enumerate all still lifes with 7 or fewer cells.

Vote Count 1.1With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Quiet Owl
(3): humaneatingmonkey, sheepsaysmeep, Dunnstral
humaneatingmonkey
(3): bob3141, Random Nurse, Espeonage
Not_Mafia
(2): Quiet Owl, Not_Mafia
Espeonage
(1): Doctor Drew

Not Voting
(4): Bellaphant, Peregrine, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons

Deadline:

Mod notes:
To hell with the script. Forgive the huge flavor, didn't feel right to cut out any of it, for other subjects I'll include the more interesting stuff only.
@Espeonage please use vote tags instead of bold text as it makes it easier for me to find votes while skimming. Thank you.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (isolation #11) » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:03 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.2
A Brief History of CGOL

Conway was interested in a problem presented in the 1940s by renowned mathematician John von Neumann, who tried to find a hypothetical machine that could build copies of itself and succeeded when he found a mathematical model for such a machine with very complicated rules on a rectangular grid. The Game of Life emerged as Conway's successful attempt to simplify von Neumann's ideas.

The game made its first public appearance in the October 1970 issue of Scientific American, in Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games" column, under the title of The fantastic combinations of John Conway's new solitaire game "life". From a theoretical point of view, it is interesting because it has the power of a universal Turing machine: that is, anything that can be computed algorithmically can be computed within Conway's Game of Life. Gardner wrote:

The game made Conway instantly famous, but it also opened up a whole new field of mathematical research, the field of cellular automata ... Because of Life's analogies with the rise, fall and alterations of a society of living organisms, it belongs to a growing class of what are called 'simulation games' (games that resemble real life processes)

Ever since its publication, Conway's Game of Life has attracted much interest because of the surprising ways in which the patterns can evolve. Life is an example of emergence and self-organization. It is interesting for physicists, biologists, economists, mathematicians, philosophers, generative scientists and others to observe the way that complex patterns can emerge from the implementation of very simple rules. The game can also serve as a didactic analogy, used to convey the somewhat counterintuitive notion that "design" and "organization" can spontaneously emerge in the absence of a designer. For example, philosopher and cognitive scientist Daniel C. Dennett has used the analog of Conway's Life "universe" extensively to illustrate the possible evolution of complex philosophical constructs, such as consciousness and free will, from the relatively simple set of deterministic physical laws governing our own universe.

The popularity of Conway's Life was helped by its coming into being just in time for a new generation of inexpensive minicomputers which were being released into the market, meaning that the game could be run for hours on these machines which were otherwise unused at night. In this respect it foreshadowed the later popularity of computer-generated fractals. For many, Life was simply a programming challenge; a fun way to waste CPU cycles. For some, however, Life had more philosophical connotations. It developed a cult following through the 1970s and beyond; current developments have gone so far as to create theoretic emulations of computer systems within the confines of a Life board.

Conway chose his rules carefully, after considerable experimentation, to meet three criteria:

There should be no initial pattern for which there is a simple proof that the population can grow without limit.
There should be initial patterns that apparently do grow without limit.
There should be simple initial patterns that grow and change for a considerable period of time before coming to an end in the following possible ways:

Fading away completely (from overcrowding or from becoming too sparse); or
Settling into a stable configuration that remains unchanged thereafter, or entering an oscillating phase in which they repeat an endless cycle of two or more periods.

Vote Count 1.2With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

humaneatingmonkey
(3): bob3141, Random Nurse, Espeonage
bob3141
(3): Hu Tao, sheepsaysmeep, Doctor Drew
Espeonage
(2): Peregrine, humaneatingmonkey
Not_Mafia
Quiet Owl
(1): Dunnstral
Doctor Drew
(1): Save The Dragons

Not Voting
(1): Bellaphant

Deadline:

Mod notes:
To hell with small flavor. Walls of text galore! I do hope yall are enjoying the flavor though and it's not total nonsense to you.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (isolation #12) » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:48 am

Post by KittyTacky »

I was busy, expect a VC early tomorrow.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #243 (isolation #13) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Mh. 8 posts skip is gonna be fine.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #244 (isolation #14) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

f
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (isolation #15) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

w
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (isolation #16) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

hhh
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (isolation #17) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

afiourqou0girqgrqrg
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (isolation #18) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

qwertyuiop;[']
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #249 (isolation #19) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

rfrfw
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #250 (isolation #20) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.3
Glider

The glider (or featherweight spaceship) is the smallest, most common, and first-discovered spaceship in Game of Life. It travels diagonally across the grid at a speed of c/4. Gliders are important because they are easily produced (by glider guns and rakes - for an example see the Gosper glider gun), can be collided with each other to form more complicated patterns (see glider synthesis), and can be used to transmit information over long distances.

Its name is due in part to the fact that it is glide symmetric; however, John Conway has stated he regrets calling it a glider, saying it looks more like an ant walking across the plane.

The glider was found by Richard K. Guy in 1969 while Conway's group was attempting to track the evolution of the R-pentomino. It is often wrongly stated that John Conway discovered the glider, but Conway himself has said that it was Guy, a fact expounded in Conway's biography, Genius at Play:
[…] They'd all head back to the department eventually and continue on the trail of the methuselah r-pentomino, hoping to happen upon an information stream. The Life computer program was still in the works, so frustration over their lack of success was exacerbated by the fact that the investigators were still working manually. Even 10 generations proved nearly impossible to document accurately without elaborate and diligent checks. In this regard, a force for good arrived in the form of Richard Guy, Mike's father, who visited nearly every summer. British-born, he had studied mathematics at Cambridge, spending much of his time playing and analyzing chess, composing endgame problems that he published in the British Chess Magazine. This led to his intensive games research, considered pivotal in the history of combinatorial game theory. He served in the Royal Air Force during the war and as a meteorologist in Iceland and Bermuda, then lectured for a time at the University of London, as well as in Singapore and in Delhi at the Indian Institute of Technology, before eventually landing at the University of Calgary. A precisian fellow—precise, careful, fastidious, conscientious—qualities of character that the Lifers on the whole lacked. Conway appointed him “blinker watcher,” a tedious task. He kept an accounting of blinkers and other debris that splintered off from center stage as the action in the spotlight evolved generation upon generation.

Late in the fall of 1969, as the group was still on the trail of the r-pentomino, the elder Guy's attention to detail paid off. The drama had been building since generation 27, when the scene split, stage left and stage right, each a microcosm of chaos unto itself. At generation 69, Guy noticed an animal that no one had ever seen before. It seemed to be wiggling, skittering, gliding its way diagonally across the board. He hollered to the others: “Come over here, there's a piece that's walking!” This was the first step toward proving Life universal. Conway christened this walking piece the “glider” (though now he wishes he'd called it the “ant”), because after two moves its position differs from the starting position by a “glide reflection,” a symmetry operation, and at generation 4 it looks exactly the same as it did at generation 0, but it has glided diagonally downward by a single place. […]

Historical note: An R-pentomino tracked past T = 69 in late 1969 certainly implies that the glider, and a number of other objects such as blocks and blinkers, were first seen by Conway's group before 1970. However, for most objects it is difficult to pinpoint a definite date of discovery, so the LifeWiki and other sources traditionally use 1970 as the official figure for any objects known at the time of publication of Martin Gardner's first Scientific American article in October 1970. For many years Conway consistently "rounded up" his discovery of the Game of Life to 1970.

Vote Count 1.3With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Espeonage
(4): Peregrine, humaneatingmonkey, sheepsaysmeep, Random Nurse
humaneatingmonkey
(2): bob3141, Espeonage
bob3141
(2): Hu Tao, Doctor Drew
Not_Mafia
Hu Tao
(1): Dunnstral
sheepsaysmeep

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Not many votes so I have been quiet sorry.

Bellaphant has been prodded.
Last edited by KittyTacky on Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #265 (isolation #21) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:47 am

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 251, Random Nurse wrote: @Kitty the vote count numbers are wrong for HEM, NM, and Bob.
Fixed but how is it wrong for NM?
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #379 (isolation #22) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:52 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Power cut off yesterday sorry, didn't want to do a VC on mobile.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #381 (isolation #23) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:59 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.4
Block

Block is an extremely well-known and common still life that was found by John Conway in 1970. In terms of its 4 cells it is tied with tub as the smallest still life, and in terms of its 2 × 2 bounding box it is the outright smallest. It is also the only known still life that is a polyomino, and the only finite strict still life where all living cells have three neighbors. Its small size, ability to act as a catalyst, and simple glider syntheses make it extremely useful in the construction of larger patterns.

The block was one of the patterns described in the original 1970 article by Martin Gardner that introduced the Game of Life to the world.

Blocks serve useful in the construction of larger still lifes. Due to its high density, orthogonal and diagonal connections (like those seen in ship-tie) would overpopulate any present cells, preventing any patterns with this arrangement from being useful in a still life (this reaction can instead be used for oscillators such as beacon and variants of star). As such, its uses are limited to acting as an induction coil.

Given the high symmetry of the block (the highest a pattern can have on the square grid), cis-, trans- and other isomeric variants only arise if the object stabilised by the block is itself of a sufficiently low symmetry.

Vote Count 1.4With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Espeonage
(4): Peregrine, humaneatingmonkey, sheepsaysmeep, Random Nurse
Quiet Owl
(3): bob3141, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons
Hu Tao
(2): Dunnstral, Quiet Owl
Not_Mafia
(1): Not_Mafia
humaneatingmonkey
(1): Espeonage
bob3141

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Searching for a replacement for Espeonage and Bellaphant.
In post 364, humaneatingmonkey wrote: Bellaphant is also in Not Voting.

I wish our mod didn't abandon us.
I'm sorry this won't happen again I promise.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #407 (isolation #24) » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:23 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.5
Blinker

The blinker is the smallest and most common oscillator, found by John Conway in 1969. It is one of only a handful of known oscillators that is a polyomino, and it is the only known finite oscillator that is one cell thick (although the pentadecathlon is "almost" one cell thick in that there is a one cell thick pattern that is a grandparent of it, and the infinite version of the worker bee is one cell thick).

Blinkers are very commonly formed in a set of four called the traffic light; they can similarly be born in two potential sets of six, the interchanges. There is also a fairly common constellation of four blinkers and two boat-ties.

When phased correctly, blinkers can provide a purpose similar to an induction coil as seen on the overweight emulator, and can sometimes be positioned so that it either contacts the oscillating segment directly or is one cell away from it similarly to normal induction coils.

The blinker can also be a stationary segment known as "line" in certain still lifes; the most basic of these being integral sign but can also be used to connect any number of pre-blocks, tubs, beehives, loaves, mangoes, hooks, claws, etc. together. One example is boat line hook.

The blinker can function as a transparent catalyst in a certain reaction where it is converted into a traffic light predecessor, which a fishhook (or another catalyst that engages in the same type of catalyzing reaction, such as an eater 2) then converts back to a blinker in the same position. This rephases the blinker, so it can only be used in odd-period oscillators, such as 66P13 and the p47 pre-pulsar shuttle. In addition, worker bee and 50P35 involve a similar reaction.

Vote Count 1.5With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

T3
(3): Peregrine, sheepsaysmeep, Random Nurse
Quiet Owl
Hu Tao
Not_Mafia
humaneatingmonkey
(1): T3
bob3141

Not Voting
(2): Invisibility, humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-06 10:00:00).

Mod notes:
T3 replaces Espeonage! Invisibility replaces Bellaphant! The deadline has been extrended 48 hours.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #433 (isolation #25) » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:01 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.6
Beehive

Beehive is a 6-cell still life. It can be seen as a weld of two tubs. As a tetromino descendant, it was one of the first objects found.

Beehives are frequently born in a set of four called honey farm.

It is possible to turn a single beehive into one by adding a corner (turning it into a bun), adding a cell to the "tip" of it (the bit with one cell, adding it to the longer end will result in an R-pentomino grandson) or by adding one cell inside it. There are also formations of two beehives that also occur fairly commonly, evolving from seeds known as butterfly and teardrop.

A beehive can be eaten with a block, a reaction that allows the construction of the queen bee shuttle and further patterns based on it.

Some reactions push a beehive one cell. If space permits, the beehive push catalyst can push it back.

Beehive is the second most common still life on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue, being less common than block but more common than loaf. Among all still lifes with 6 cells, it is the absolute most common, followed by ship. The beehive was also the second most common still life in Achim Flammenkamp's census, again being less common than block but over three times as common as loaf.

Vote Count 1.6With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Quiet Owl
T3
(2): Peregrine, sheepsaysmeep
Hu Tao
Not_Mafia
humaneatingmonkey
(1): T3
bob3141

Not Voting
(3): Invisibility, humaneatingmonkey, Random Nurse

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Seeking replacement for Quiet Owl. The deadline will be extended by 24 hours once a replacement is found.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #488 (isolation #26) » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:38 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.7
Loaf

Loaf is a 7-cell still life discovered by John Conway in 1969 as a result of tracking the evolution of the twelve pentominoes. It can be seen as a weld of two beehives.

Loaf is the stator in both mold and jam, and it can be augmented with tails to give the cis- and trans-loaf with tail, or equivalently with nines to yield the cis- and trans-loaf with nine.

Loaf can be attached to itself to give three 14-cell still lifes, namely half-bakery, bi-loaf 2 and loaf back tie loaf, and siamesing gives the 11-cell loaf siamese loaf.

A loaf has a partial eater property: certain collisions, particularly that of gliders, can destroy the upper rightmost two cells (in the orientation shown in the picture), after which the remainder of the pattern will evolve into a new loaf, flipped 180°. Eater 3 is an actual eater making use of this reaction.

A similar reaction to this involves a block "eating" a loaf, similarly to how the beehives in the queen bee shuttle are removed; stabilising this can be used to construct the baker's dozen, popover, p68 lumps of muck hassler (the basis of a record-breaking period-68 glider gun) and the stable form of twirling T-tetsons 2.

Some extensions of carnival shuttle hassles a loaf that is involved similarly to a beehive.

Loaves are common enough that they can reappear in the same position by chance after being hit. In signal circuitry, examples are RF48H, HRx65R, one form of RF28B, speed tunnel, Bandersnatch and the family of bumpers.

Vote Count 1.7With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Quiet Owl
(4): bob3141, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons, Peregrine
Hu Tao
humaneatingmonkey
(2): T3, Invisibility
T3
(1): sheepsaysmeep
Not_Mafia
bob3141

Not Voting
(2): Random Nurse, humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Seeking replacement for Quiet Owl. The deadline will be extended by 24 hours once a replacement is found.

I am going on a family trip to Kazakhstan so the next VC might be a bit slow.

[/quote]
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (isolation #27) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:49 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.8
Queen Bee

Generation 21 of queen bee

Queen bee is a somewhat commonly arising pattern that in 15 generations develops into a beehive and a reflected copy of itself. Left alone, after repeating this process another time, it crashes into the first beehive and explodes (splitting into two centuries, which ultimately stabilize into six blocks and two blinkers at generation 191). It is simple to stabilize into an oscillator by deleting the beehives as they are formed, as in the well-known queen bee shuttle. The term queen bee refers not just to the phase shown to the right, but also to any of the other phases of the pattern (excluding the beehives it creates) that occur before it explodes.

Vote Count 1.8With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

Quiet Owl
(5): bob3141, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons, Peregrine, T3
[E-2]

Hu Tao
humaneatingmonkey
(1): Invisibility
T3
(1): sheepsaysmeep
Not_Mafia
bob3141
Invisibility
(1): Random Nurse

Not Voting
(1): humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Doctor Drew and Not_Mafia have been prodded. Seeking replacement for Quiet Owl. The deadline will be extended by 24 hours once a replacement is found.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #515 (isolation #28) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:47 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Doctor Drew has requested replacement. Maybe I should have picked a "Greek Mythology" theme because this game is becoming like the Ship Of Theseus.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #553 (isolation #29) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Very busy rn, flip in a few hours.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #554 (isolation #30) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:02 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 1.9
Eater 1

Eater 1 (or fishhook or simply eater) is a 7-cell still life and the smallest asymmetric still life, observed independently by several Life enthusiasts in 1971. The name "fishhook", which is also used, was suggested by Clement A. Lessner III and William P. Webb.

This still life is comprised of the normally unstable pre-block with a normally unstable tail attached. This pattern can also be seen as a trans version of the bookend.

A fishhook's ability to eat various objects was discovered by Bill Gosper late in 1971, which made it the first discovered glider eater. It only takes four generations to recover from being hit by a glider, making it the fastest-recovering as well as the smallest. In addition to being able to eat gliders, it can also eat blinkers, lightweight spaceships, loaves, middleweight spaceships, pre-beehives, R-bees and many other patterns, as shown above. Due to its ability to change the evolution of nearby objects without being affected itself, it appears as a stabilizer at the corner of dozens of oscillators including buckaroo, p54 shuttle, pentoad, p47 pre-pulsar shuttle, snacker and p23 honey farm hassler, as well as many stable conduits like F171, Fx77, L112 and so on.

Pre-block is not the only catalytic site on a fishhook. Its tail can be used as a rock that eats an unnamed 7-cell polyplet; another example of this type of catalysis can be found at generation 74 of Fx153. Its tail and head can also trigger a boat-bit reaction, and in this manner it can be considered a G0 glider pair eater.

There are also unusual rare catalyses where the eater tail is temporarily destroyed by an active reaction and then restored back.

Vote Count 1.9With 13 votes in play, it takes 7 to eliminate.

T3
(6): sheepsaysmeep, Random Nurse, Invisibility, humaneatingmonkey, Save The Dragons, bob3141, Peregrine
[HAMMER!]

Quiet Owl
(2): Hu Tao, T3
Hu Tao
(2): Dunnstral, NorwegianboyEE
Not_Mafia
bob3141
(1): BloodB0t

Not Voting
(0):

Deadline:

Mod notes:
NorwegianboyEE replaces Quiet Owl. BloodB0t replaces Doctor Drew.

Next day will have more complex patterns. Flip soon!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #555 (isolation #31) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

D1 Flip
T3 has been eliminated!

Welcome to Mini Normal Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life! You are a
Vanilla Townie

Town

No need to confirm as you're a replacement.

N1 Announcement
Night 1 starts! Submit your actions if you have them!

D2 will start
(expired on 2023-07-08 15:00:00).

Processing night actions, expect day start within the hour...
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (isolation #32) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:37 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

N1 Flip
Random Nurse has been killed!

Random NurseWelcome to Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life! You are a
Mafia 1-Shot Strongman

Your team-mates are <censored> and <nuh uh>. You may talk to them in the PT at any time while you are alive.

Each Night, if no other member of your faction is performing this action, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die. In addition, once per game, you can choose to make your action
unblockable

You win if at least one
Mafia
member is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Confirm by posting in the topic.

Dunnstral has been killed!

Vanilla Townie

Town

Flavor 2.0
Gosper's Glider Gun

The Gosper glider gun is the first known gun, and indeed the first known finite pattern with unbounded growth, found by Bill Gosper in November 1970. It consists of two queen bee shuttles stabilized by two blocks.

Its 36 cells remained the smallest population of any known gun until the discovery of the double-barreled Simkin glider gun in 2015 which overtook this record with only 29 cells. But in terms of bounding box Gosper glider gun is outright the smallest. In 1971, Charles Corderman found a small predecessor of Gosper glider gun that has only 21 cells.

There are two other ways in which queen bees can interact to form gliders, and a third queen bee can be used to reflect a glider and make a "pseudo-Gosper gun". See period-30 glider gun for more information.

A 13-glider synthesis of the Gosper glider gun was found no later than February 1971, and was featured in Martin Gardner's second column on Conway's Game of Life after being submitted by Robert Wainwright. An 8-glider synthesis was later found, which remains the smallest known glider synthesis of any gun. It can be destroyed completely by 2 gliders, as shown below.

The first known semi-natural occurrence of this glider gun is a tetramer variant, which appeared on November 9, 2022, in a symmetric soup by Open Science Grid.

Vote Count 2.0With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

Not Voting
(10): Invisibility, BloodB0t, bob3141, Peregrine, NorwegianboyEE, Not_Mafia, sheepsaysmeep, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons, humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-15 15:30:00).

Mod notes:
I haven't modded for a while so please notify me of any mistakes. Thank you!
Last edited by KittyTacky on Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #575 (isolation #33) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:40 am

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 570, NorwegianboyEE wrote: That was meant to be a spoiler, MS on mobile is bad.
You need to add an equals, like

Code: Select all

[spoiler=][/spoiler]

Oops, pagetopped!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #658 (isolation #34) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:02 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.1
Pulsar

Pulsar (rarely referred to as Cambridge pulsar CP 48-56-72, the numbers refer to the populations of the three phases. The Life pulsar was indeed discovered at Cambridge, like the first real pulsar a few years earlier) is a large but surprisingly common period-3 oscillator. It was found by John Conway in March 1970.

The rotor of a pulsar consists of four mutually stabilizing quadrants; alternate arrangements exist for any odd multiple of 4 (for the version with 12 copies, see quasar). A closely related oscillator — the pulsar quadrant — includes just the external "horns" of the rotor and can be stabilized on its own. Two other oscillators, the bracket pulsar and cross, can be extended in much the same way.

Despite its size, pulsar is the fourth most common oscillator (and the most common of period greater than 2) in Achim Flammenkamp's census; the only oscillators more common are blinker, toad, and beacon. It is by far the most common period-3 oscillator, being about 45,000 times more common than jam. Overall, the pulsar is the twenty-first most common object on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue.

Compared to Catagolue's typical 16 × 16 soups, the pulsar is 30% more common in 8 × 8 soups and 14% more common in 10 × 10 soups; this is probably because a pulsar is more likely to survive if there is nothing around it.

The pulsar-on-pentadecathlon I is the largest object to have occurred in the B3/S23/C1 census as of February 2023, with 100 cells in its maximum phase, and with first known natural occurrence on Catagolue in April 2015.

The smallest pattern by population that evolves into a pulsar has seven cells; there are several of these.

Vote Count 2.1With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

bob3141
(2): Invisibility, NorwegianboyEE
Invisibility
(1): bob3141

Not Voting
(7): BloodB0t, Peregrine, Not_Mafia, sheepsaysmeep, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons, humaneatingmonkey

Deadline:

Mod notes:
n/a
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #716 (isolation #35) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #717 (isolation #36) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #718 (isolation #37) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #719 (isolation #38) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #720 (isolation #39) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #721 (isolation #40) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #722 (isolation #41) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #723 (isolation #42) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #724 (isolation #43) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #725 (isolation #44) » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.2
LightWeight SpaceShip

The lightweight spaceship (commonly abbreviated to LWSS) or (rarely) small fish is the smallest orthogonal spaceship, and the second most common spaceship after the glider. It moves at speed c/2 and has period 4 (and is therefore often referred to as 2c/4). It was found by John Conway in 1970.

Random soups investigated by Achim Flammenkamp emitted one LWSS for approximately every 615 gliders. The LWSS is also the eighteenth most common object on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue.

There are 731 results in the octohash database, 6563 results in the octo3obj database, and 1009 results in the octo3g database with at least one escaping LWSS.

Vote Count 2.2With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

BloodB0t
(2): NorwegianboyEE, Save The Dragons
humaneatingmonkey
(2): Hu Tao, Not_Mafia
Invisibility
(2): bob3141, sheepsaysmeep
Not_Mafia
Hu Tao

Not Voting
(2): BloodB0t, Peregrine

Deadline:

Mod notes:
BloodB0t has requested replacement. Also I miscounted during my thread-clobbering, whoopsie!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #786 (isolation #45) » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:30 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.3
Big Glider

The big glider was found by Dean Hickerson in December 1989 and was the first known diagonal spaceship other than the glider. Two gliders can be temporarily seen at the front of the ship; these do not stay gliders but still move like them.

Robert Wainwright discovered some small tagalongs for this spaceship, including one that can be used to string an arbitrarily large number of big gliders together and append certain glider tagalongs.

Vote Count 2.3With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

Roden
(3): NorwegianboyEE, Save The Dragons, Peregrine
humaneatingmonkey
(3): Hu Tao, Not_Mafia, bob3141
Not_Mafia
Hu Tao

Not Voting
(2): Roden, sheepsaysmeep

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-16 15:30:00).

Mod notes:
Roden replaces BloodB0t! Deadline extended by 24 hours.

Today I leave Kazakhstan so VCs will be more regular after this.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #916 (isolation #46) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #917 (isolation #47) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #918 (isolation #48) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #919 (isolation #49) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #920 (isolation #50) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #921 (isolation #51) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #922 (isolation #52) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

woof
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #923 (isolation #53) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #924 (isolation #54) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #925 (isolation #55) » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.4
Cribbage

Cribbage, or Riley's p19, is a period-19 oscillator found by Mitchell Riley on July 14, 2023 using CatForce, and is the first period-19 oscillator to be discovered.

On the day of its discovery, iNoMed discovered a pair of successive stator reductions over the original form (first to 96 cells, then to 94), which was subsequently reduced by May13 to a 92-cell form. Each reduction was made by replacing its stators with smaller components.

Cribbage's sparks are strong enough for LCMs but not hasslers.

The name "cribbage" comes from the card game, where 19 is a significant number and somewhat of a meme in the game, being the smallest number of points that is impossible to get in a single round.

Vote Count 2.4With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

humaneatingmonkey
(4): Hu Tao, Not_Mafia, bob3141, Roden
Not_Mafia
(2): humaneatingmonkey, sheepsaysmeep
Roden
(1): Peregrine
Hu Tao

Not Voting
(3): Roden, NorwegianboyEE, Save The Dragons

Deadline:

Mod notes:
A period-19 oscillator has been discovered today! People have been looking for decades for one. Name is still provisional. There's no gif for it on the wiki so I made one myself via a Golly (the best and fastest CA program) script.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1015 (isolation #56) » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:12 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 2.5
Killer Toads

Killer toads is a pair of toads acting together so that they can eat certain patterns.

Killer toads can eat a B-heptomino predecessor, as can be seen in the p2 version of 45-degree MWSS-to-G. This happens to the similarly structured middleweight spaceship and heavyweight spaceship, but not lightweight spaceship which leaves a hazardous beehive.

Killer toads can also eat three quarters of a traffic light, which is featured in twirling T-tetsons 2, the 52-cell p146 pi-heptomino hassler and the p2 variant of L122.

Vote Count 2.5With 10 votes in play, it takes 6 to eliminate.

humaneatingmonkey
(6): Not_Mafia, bob3141, Roden, Invisibility, NorwegianboyEE, Peregrine [
[HAMMER!]
]
Not_Mafia
(4): humaneatingmonkey, sheepsaysmeep, Save The Dragons, Hu Tao

Not Voting
(1): Roden

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Sanest CGOL pattern name.

Flip soon!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1016 (isolation #57) » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:15 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

D2 Flip
humaneatingmonkey has been eliminated!

Town Bodyguard Finder

At Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether or not that player is a
Bodyguard

Town

N2 Announcement
Night 2 starts! Submit your actions if you have them!

D2 will start
(expired on 2023-07-18 10:00:00).

Processing night actions, expect day start within the hour...
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1017 (isolation #58) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

N2 Flip
bob3141 has been killed!

Town 2-Shot Vigilante

Twice per game, at Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action,
you will kill that player

Town

Roden has been killed!

Vanilla Townie

Town

Flavor 3.0
New gun 1

New gun 1, or originally simply new gun, is a period-46 gun discovered by Bill Gosper in 1971. It was the second basic gun to be found, the first being the Gosper glider gun.

Vote Count 3.0With 7 votes in play, it takes 4 to eliminate.

Not Voting
(7): Invisibility, Peregrine, NorwegianboyEE, Not_Mafia, sheepsaysmeep, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-25 10:00:00).

Mod notes:
N/A
Last edited by KittyTacky on Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1020 (isolation #59) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:19 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1019, Save The Dragons wrote: Mod, you have HEM in your list of players
I'm a dumb fuck
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1048 (isolation #60) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:12 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1049 (isolation #61) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:12 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1050 (isolation #62) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:13 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.1
Speed

The speed of a pattern is a measure of the number of generations that it takes for some effect to travel some given distance. Speeds are almost always measured in reference to the speed of light (or speed of life), denoted by c which, the fastest possible speed at which any effect can propagate. William Poundstone, in The Recursive Universe: Cosmic Complexity and the Limits of Scientific Knowledge, writes (p. 79; our emphasis):
[…] Suppose a certain pattern is contained in a 100-by-100-pixel square. Everything outside the square is in the off state. No matter what the structure of the pattern, it can influence only the pixels bordering the square in the next generation. It will then be contained in a 102-by-102-pixel square. At very most, a pattern can grow one pixel per generation in any direction.

This is the
maximum speed at which any form of information
can be transmitted across the Life plane. It is the counterpart of the speed of light in the real world and is often called by that name. […]
Thus for first neighbor neighborhoods, such as the Moore and von Neumann neighbourhoods of range one, the speed of light is a rate of one cell per generation. Rules with extended neighbourhoods, such as Larger than Life rules, have higher speeds of light; other classes of cellular automata may have different speed of lights yet. However, the notion of differing "speeds of light" is often disregarded in serious study, with c fixed at a value of one cell per generation.

For spaceships, the speed describes the number of cells that it has been displaced by after it has gone through one period. Speed is reported in the form dc/p where d is the displacement and p is the period. It is most common to reduce this "fraction" to lowest terms. For example, even though the period of a lightweight spaceship is 4, it moves 2 cells during those generations, giving it a speed of 2c/4 = c/2.

For spaceships that move diagonally, speed is defined the same as above, but where "the number of cells that is has been displaced by" refers to the maximum of the x or y displacement; not their sum. So, for example, a glider has a speed of c/4, since it takes 4 generations to move one cell in the x direction and one cell in the y direction.

More formally, if a spaceship in any 2D cellular automaton is translated by (x,y) after n generations then its speed v may be defined as:
This definition can be generalized in a straightforward manner to cellular automata with dimension other than two.

The lightweight spaceship has speed c/2 because it moves 2 cells in 4 generations:

Vote Count 3.1With 7 votes in play, it takes 4 to eliminate.

Hu Tao
(2): Invisibility, sheepsaysmeep
Not_Mafia

Not Voting
(4): Peregrine, NorwegianboyEE, Not_Mafia, Hu Tao

Deadline:

Mod notes:
This flavor is probs mind-breaking lol.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1097 (isolation #63) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

woooooosh
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1098 (isolation #64) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

SHOOOOOOOOSH
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1099 (isolation #65) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

meow
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1100 (isolation #66) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.2
Swan

Swan is a c/4 diagonal spaceship producing some useful sparks. It was found by Tim Coe in February 1996. On February 20, 1996 Noam Elkies noticed that it could be made into a small boatstretcher. It can also be combined non-trivially with a Canada goose. In November 2000 Jason Summers found a period-8 glide-reflective tagalong for two swans. This was the first c/4 diagonal spaceship with a period other than period-4 to be found.

A version stretching a tub (instead of a boat as shown on the wiki) was called TIRETRAK.LIF in Alan Hensel's lifep pattern collection from the 1990s; this was at a time when PC-compatible computers running older versions of MS-DOS were still limited to eight-character filenames.

Vote Count 3.2With 7 votes in play, it takes 4 to eliminate.

Not_Mafia
(2): sheepsaysmeep, NorwegianboyEE
Hu Tao

Not Voting
(4): Peregrine Invisibility, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Not many posts happened yesterday so no VC.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1103 (isolation #67) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:39 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 3.3
Eater 2

Eater 2 (or block on hat siamese hat) is an eater that was found by David Buckingham in the 1970s. Mostly it works like the standard eater (see eater 1) but with two slight differences that make it useful despite its size; it takes longer to recover from each bite and it acts like an eater in two directions. The first property means that, among other things, it can eat a glider in a position that would destroy an eater 1 due to the latter recovering too quickly before all of the sparks have cleared. This novel glider-eating action is occasionally of use in itself, and combined with the symmetry means that an eater 2 can eat gliders along four different paths.

An eater 2 variant noticed by Stephen Silver in May 1998 that is useful for obtaining smaller bounding boxes is shown below. Note that the canonical version of eater 2 is a strict still life because the outside 15-cell component is not stable without the block (it is, rather, an inductee), but the first two eater 2 variants below are pseudo still lifes (because the first is comprised of an aircraft carrier, block and hat, each of which are stable, and the second of a block on table and hat).

Eater 2 can also be used to eat objects other than gliders. For example, one of them can eat a lightweight or middleweight spaceship, two of them can eat a 60P5H2V0, and so on. Eater 2 catalysts can be found in many stable conduits such as RNE-19T84 and boojum reflector. Its symmetry is exploited in 35P12.1 and p196 pi-heptomino hassler.

It serves as the logo of Catagolue.

The canonical eater 2 ranks about 400th out of 45,759 in the list of 19-cell still lifes. This puts it barely in the top 1%.

Vote Count 3.3With 7 votes in play, it takes 4 to eliminate.

Not_Mafia
(4): sheepsaysmeep, NorwegianboyEE, Save The Dragons, Invisibility
[HAMMER!]

Hu Tao

Not Voting
(2): Peregrine, Hu Tao

Deadline:

Mod notes:
I got distracted and couldn't make a VC, sorry for making you wait.

Flip soon!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1104 (isolation #68) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:41 am

Post by KittyTacky »

D3 Flip
Not_Mafia has been eliminated!

Vanilla Townie

Town

N3 Announcement
Night 3 starts! Submit your actions if you have them!

D4 will start
(expired on 2023-07-23 22:00:00).
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1105 (isolation #69) » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

N3 Flip
NorwegianboyEE has been killed!

Welcome to Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life! You are a
Town Compulsive Bodyguard

Your action is compulsive, meaning that you must submit an ordered playerlist at the start of the game, with the possibility of changing it later, and if you fail to submit, you will target the highest living player on the list.

Each Night, you must target a player. Assuming no interference with your action,
that player will be protected from one kill that night and you will be killed in their place

Town

Flavor 4.0
204P41

204P41 is a period-41 oscillator found by Nico Brown on July 21, 2023, and is the first period-41 oscillator to be discovered. It was originally found as 208P41, and the blinker eaters were quickly reduced by two cells each.

Its discovery proved that Conway's Game of Life is omniperiodic.

Four copies of the dependent reflector loop can be used to stabilise the p41 wick.

Chris857 and Evin found a 106-glider synthesis of 208P41 the day of its discovery.

Vote Count 4.0With 5 votes in play, it takes 3 to eliminate.

Not Voting
(5): Invisibility, Peregrine, sheepsaysmeep, Hu Tao, Save The Dragons

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-07-31 10:00:00).

Mod notes:
A p41 has been discovered about a week after the p19. Both I and the game slept through it however... Sorry for the gigantic image.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1234 (isolation #70) » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:29 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Peregrine has been prodded.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1241 (isolation #71) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:15 am

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 4.1
Caterer

Caterer is a period-3 oscillator found by Dean Hickerson on August 4, 1989. Its rotor is similar to that of jam. In terms of its minimum population of 12 cells this is the smallest period 3 oscillator, and tied with fox as the smallest wholly asymmetric oscillator.

More generally, any oscillator which serves up a bit in the same manner, such as T-nosed p4 and T-nosed p6, may be referred to as a caterer.

Caterer is about the forty-second most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being about as frequent as beehive on griddle. On Catagolue, it is the fourth most common period 3 oscillator, being 1.93 times less common than trans-block on candlefrobra but 1.49 times more common than cis-block on candlefrobra.

A bot on the ConwayLife Lounge Discord server that allows playing patterns as GIFs is named after this oscillator.

Vote Count 4.1With 5 votes in play, it takes 3 to eliminate.

Hu Tao
Save The Dragons
(1): Hu Tao

Not Voting
(4): Invisibility, Peregrine, sheepsaysmeep

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Sorry for the a bit late VC!
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1299 (isolation #72) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:19 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

a
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1300 (isolation #73) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:19 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Flavor 4.2
8-bit programmable computer

8-bit programmable computer is an implementation of an 8-bit computer in Conway's Game of Life designed and built in 2016 by Nicolas Loizeau. An improved scalable version of the design with optimized circuitry, a 32x32 pixel display, and instructions to handle arrays was created in 2021.

The computer supports eight variables and 13 instructions -- write, goto, move, jumpif, print, add, or, and, xor, not, flat, sign, and increment. The computer is programmed by changing the arrangement of structures in its Program area. The improved version possesses two more instructions, shift and rotate, as well as a display that uses disp and erase instructions.

The 8-bit programmable computer is considerably simpler than the Spartan universal computer-constructor, in large part because it does not contain a universal construction component. It is easy to program with the help of the associated Python utility script, assembly.py, and associated resources which can be found in the project's GitHub repository. It is capable of performing standard 8-bit AND, OR, XOR, and NOT operations using any of its eight variables. The improved version can process up to 128 variables, which can be 8-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit. Additionally, the improved version can use its variables as addresses that can be read from or written to.

Vote Count 4.2With 5 votes in play, it takes 3 to eliminate.

Peregrine
(3): Invisibility, sheepsaysmeep, Save The Dragons
[HAMMER!]

Save The Dragons
(1): Hu Tao

Not Voting
(1): Peregrine

Deadline:

Mod notes:
gg

D4 Flip
Peregrine has been eliminated!

Welcome to Mini Normal 2304: Conway's Game Of Life! You are a
Town Compulsive Bodyguard

Your action is compulsive, meaning that you must submit an ordered playerlist at the start of the game, with the possibility of changing it later, and if you fail to submit, you will target the highest living player on the list.

Each Night, you must target a player. Assuming no interference with your action,
that player will be protected from one kill that night and you will be killed in their place

Town

Mafia wins!!!

sheepsaysmeep, Save The Dragons, and Random Nurse win the game (of life)!

Role list:

Invisibility
- Town Compulsive Bodyguard
Roden
- Vanilla Townie (DEAD)
bob3141
- Town 2-Shot Vigilante (DEAD)
Dunnstral
- Vanilla Townie (DEAD)
Peregrine
- Town Compulsive Bodyguard (DEAD)
T3
- Vanilla Townie (DEAD)
NorwegianboyEE
- Town Compulsive Bodyguard (DEAD)
Not_Mafia
- Vanilla Townie (DEAD)
Hu Tao
- Town Odd-Night Traffic Analyst
humaneatingmonkey
- Town Finder (Bodyguard) (DEAD)

sheepsaysmeep
- Mafia Bodyguard Enabler (M)
Random Nurse
- Mafia 1-Shot Strongman (M) (DEAD)
Save The Dragons
- Mafia Goon (M)

Postgame notes:

- The many replacements at the start were discouraging, and I made a T3-related mod error, but managed to get up to my feet.
- The setup was called "Bodyguard Madness" in my notes.
- The TA was indeed a red herring, and the finder was a bit of ModWIFOM. Very tricky setup, on purpose.
- The proposal to double up bodyguards made me chuckle as that would have killed both BGs.
- This is a very unusual theme and I'd like more feedback on it!
- CGOL (and other CA) has a vibrant community, including an official Discord server I am an admin in so check it out if you're interested in CA.
- I think this game was better-balanced than "Roguelikes", I'd like to do another soon, probably Roguelikes II.
- PTs will release in (expired on 2023-07-28 10:00:00), PM me any redactions (or say them in the thread) before that time.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1329 (isolation #74) » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 1315, bob3141 wrote: Pere was bit of foolish execution. What are the odds that scum fake claim bg with the exact gating.

I think the problem was at that invis was listing only to the player that in all cases was scum.

a scum team of hu/pere means that town only had 2 bg with negative gating. 1/2 vig. Thats an absurd low level of town power that it would never pass review
The BGs are of dubious utility considering the vig, to be honest. That was intentional.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1340 (isolation #75) » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

No no no I'm all ears, speak up.
~Vasex
~Enchant
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1341 (isolation #76) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:23 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I forgor about the PTs!!!

Dead PT: viewtopic.php?p=13819584

Mafia PT: viewtopic.php?p=13818755
~Vasex
~Enchant

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”