Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #392 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:22 am

Post by Psyche »

Hey, everyone. I appreciate your relatively brief posting styles. Will make reading the thread easy.

I'm going to be trying some unorthodox scumhunting techniques this game. Nothing particularly abstruse, just some statistical analysis or whatever. ^^ I'm just bored of arguing about contradictions and inconsistencies and gut feeling, though I'll still be doing that, to a small degree.

But yeah, I'll read the thread and come back with whatever I find and make a tentative vote, probably.
You can't step in the same river twice.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #394 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 am

Post by Psyche »

Weird. If I weren't replacing Panacea, I might have voted for her. Makes me really rethink what I look for in scum.

Anyways, I have loads of time! Now to see what amazing little secrets of mafia I can find through quantitative analysis...

And first, the activity overview!

Username // Post Count // % of all posts
Beck // 113 // 28.75
VP Baltar //56 // 14.25
hiplop // 52 // 13.23
Juls // 42 // 10.69
charter // 29 // 7.38
Panacea (25) + Psyche (2) // 27 // 6.87
pappums rat // 25 // 6.36
Phoebus // 15 // 3.82
Budja // 14 // 3.06

As we can see, Beck has posted more than the 2nd and 3rd most prolific posters' posts combined, and takes up about 28.75% of the entire game, more than a quarter of it. Three players have <half of that, and three more >half of that, and two more >half of that.

In an ideal game, every player would be making 11% of the game's posts (unachieved by 66% of players and not even nearly by 55% of players), and have posted about 43.6 times by now. Clearly, many players aren't doing their fair share and should be pressured to contribute.

Budja's the worst at it, and his content's been superficial at best.
vote Budja

Beck is genuine. Still, I can feel the bias against him coursing through my veins. His username reminding me of that idiot on TV, his snarkiness, his questioning...it makes my blood boil. But he's town, so we're cool. Unless he isn't. Eh.

Hiplop's a little lazy, but seems okay.

Now to find something else to do.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #402 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Post by Psyche »

Eh. I suppose my commitment to the whole statistics thing was a bad idea, considering what panagea did.

Okay. Gimme a bit. I'll go into detail.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #404 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Post by Psyche »

You're right. Good point. How could I be so naive? Whatever. I'll just play the game. Sorry.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #407 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Post by Psyche »

You guys are so off-key. I mean seriously, suspecting me because I'm contemplative about how Panacea behaved? You're being hypercritical.

Panagea's play is the clear result of a recreationally-oriented player faced with pressure and personalities she simply doesn't like. She could of been more disciplined, but she was hardly scummy if you think about it. Scumminess is more than an unwillingness or inability to post useful content.

Anyways,
unvote
. His posting style is consistent in all his games and his posts are less an example of scumminess than simply less-than-ideal availability. His content is actually intelligent and purposive.

Beck's clearly Town because his posts are genuine. He scumhunts with the spirit of a offsiter, he investigates things of varying importance, he demonstrates emotion and desire to see scum caught. In my experience with spammers, it's generally easier to tell if they're genuous because they maintain a constant flow of emotion. Beck's not scum because his emotion is genuine.

I made this post now instead of when I had everyone because the words were in my head. Not done yet tonight.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #408 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Post by Psyche »

Juls wrote:Yes. VP is literally my "buddy", as in someone I consider a "friend" on this site.

Either lynch me or lynch Beck because both of us in this game is NOT going to work. He thinks I am scum, I think he is scum. If we end up being town-on-town it's going to be a huge escape route for scum.
Lynch me or lynch him today, please

This post really annoys me, but if it's a scum production, it's genius scum production. I mean, who would lynch
this
? Moreover, who would expect much future utility out of someone who posts
this
?

It's passionate, destructive, unreasoned, abhorrently stubborn...and a town tell. This, along with an acceptable content style makes me annoyed, but satiafied at the same time.

hiplop wrote:Im more of a end/mid-game guy tbh

I hate this post, too. It makes me want to yell, "When does the middle start?! Page 30?!" After the first 10 pages, the only thing special about Day 1 is that no one's dead yet.

Usually when pressure builds on someone not contributing, he tends to give a little. Hoplip literally gave a little. Not much. Then everyone just gave up on him and today he told me "hi" and "that's good" and little else. The thing about everyone ditching him suprises me because:

Wouldn't scum push a little harder if he were town?

vote hoplip
. He's really given us no reason not to yet.

I had this awesome monologue about chamber's playing style, but stupid mobile browser lost it. I'll wait till morning and a desktop to finish.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #414 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 am

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:psyche why do you seem to back off when people question your vote?

The vote was bad. Was I supposed to stubbornly justify it just to save face?

VP Baltar wrote:
Psyche wrote:Eh. I suppose my commitment to the whole statistics thing was a bad idea, considering what panagea did.

What did Panacea "do"? Why do you keep apologizing for her play? Did you read your role PM before you read the game, or after you had read it?

Panacea attracted the negative attention so carried over to me, thus making you guys a little less tolerant of my activities.
I think I'm apologizing for it in the sense of "formally defending it in writing" because it just seems like the natural thing to do. If I feel like I can account for her behavior, then why not? It serves our interests.
I read my role PM before I read the game, and knew I was replacing Panacea before I even signed up.

Psyche wrote:She could of been more disciplined, but she was hardly scummy if you think about it. Scumminess is more than an unwillingness or inability to post useful content.

1) She wasn't posting all that much useful content, honestly. 2) You're the one that called her scummy. Twice.

1) that's what I said. Right there. (I can't believe I said "could of", though. How third grade-ish.)
2) It's hard to exactly call someone scummy if you know their alliance is Town. I said I might have voted for her (and once, not twice) if I weren't her, but that would be because of how bad I am at identifying what is scummy, rather than because Panagea actually did something scummy. Only scum can be truly scummy. When a Townie seems scummy, it's because the observer is uninformed.

Psyche wrote:Beck's not scum because his emotion is genuine.

Can you show me examples of him being genuine? Those would at least counter the points where I showed him as being disingenuous.

Oh, sure. Somewhat. Much of my genuine impression comes from his posting style in general. Hence the whole "constant flow of emotion" rather than "occasional displays of emotion"

He investigates the bull-crap smiley thing that periodically comes up in a mafia. That's genuine inquisitivity.
He shows annoyance and aggravation when he's not responded to, meaning he's actually interested in getting his questions answered.

I believe in the whole "police officer menial question" strategy thing he's doing. It goes with his offsite-ness for its unorthodoxy, is mildly reasonable, and requires effort (to produce so many questions, regardless of the quality [which isn't as bad as that one about gay marriage that made me lol].

With Beck's style, scum would have a harder time appearing genuine. That's probably exactly why his meta supposedly makes him so readable. You can call an endless flow of "snowball" questions pseudocontent all you want, but it's much more than that, at least.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #416 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:36 am

Post by Psyche »

Wow. How am I supposed to respond to that?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #417 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 am

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:The problem psyche, the vote was good, the reasoning was weak and when questioned about it, you back off and say the vote was bad.

Now it looks like you change up and call me town and than vote hiplop.

Now the wagon has fallen apart, it just seems and odd choice.

Having just finished a game where I was grilling IS and he just ignored me, and later flipped town. It has taught me that not answering questions is something I'm gonna have to get used to, since nobody ever seems to care (that game and this game)

vote: psyche

You seem to be carrying on what pan seemed to do, which is just sort of gravitate to whatever is the popular vote, until you backed off and voted hop.

It's very odd behavior IMO

Ok. So am I odd or scummy?

Also, what does you learning to tolerate being ignored have to do with anything?

And you know I called you town in the post I voted budja? My only change up is the change of my vote. I thought I made it clear in my first post that it would be tentative. Tentative means likely to have changes before becoming final and complete. I pretty much announced that my Budja vote was merely provisional; it shouldn't seem odd that I'd go and change it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #420 (isolation #9) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:20 am

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:Learning to tolerate being ignored means one of the reasons I am voting hip, was because of that very thing, so it isn't really a scum tell

What?

Is you calling me town supposed to mean I'm not allowed to vote you?

What? I think we're in two different modes of thought. I don't expect you to leave me alone because I called you town. That would be scummy. I was referring to you calling my comment regarding my beliefs about your alliance a "change up".

Your vote on Budja, was right because he is scummy, your reason for it and the reason toy backed off was odd.

It seemed like you joined the largest wagon, got questioned for it, and jumped off.

What makes Budja scummy?
Does the quality of a vote depend on who it's done on, or the reasoning that provoked it?

Also, a "provisional" vote that puts somebody at L-1 without even saying they are at L-1 is dangerous.

Accidental hammer or whatever.

Not "provisional", provisional. It's well documented that the vote was provisional. I didn't care much about the vote count when I made my vote. I was a little more focused on my damned sthatistiscs.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #422 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 am

Post by Psyche »

Oh, well that makes sense. But budja's behavior is consistent throughout all of his games -> not a reliable scumtell.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #424 (isolation #11) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 am

Post by Psyche »

So...stupid.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #426 (isolation #12) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 am

Post by Psyche »

Sigh. Like I said...off-key.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #433 (isolation #13) » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 am

Post by Psyche »

But why so willfully obvuseless? Why just coast around? People join these games to play (not observe), don't they?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #435 (isolation #14) » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:36 am

Post by Psyche »

Right. When I flip Town you'll automatically know budja is totally...what?

So even though I can completely explain my "scumtastic" posts in consistent townie terms, and no one has made any attempt to discount said explanation, I'm still a great lynch candidate for the day. Great. So I'll just sit here and wait for the noose? >:(
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #438 (isolation #15) » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:
Psyche wrote:Right. When I flip Town you'll automatically know budja is totally...what?

So even though I can completely explain my "scumtastic" posts in consistent townie terms, and no one has made any attempt to discount said explanation, I'm still a great lynch candidate for the day. Great. So I'll just sit here and wait for the noose? >:(

my posts 415 and 418 explained why I didn't buy your "townie termed explanations"

All you did was summarize what I did and call it odd.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #439 (isolation #16) » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Post by Psyche »

/emphasizes a few things that seem to have been oversighted

Psyche wrote:I'm going to be trying some unorthodox scumhunting techniques this game. Nothing particularly abstruse, just some statistical analysis or whatever. ^^

Here I commit to attempt craptistics application to scumhunting.

But yeah, I'll read the thread and come back with whatever I find and make a
tentative vote
, probably.

Here, I announce that my next vote will be tentative.

Definition of tentative:
uncertain: said or done in a slow, hesitant, and careful way that reveals a lack of confidence
rough or provisional: likely to have changes before becoming final and complete

It should not be surprising that my vote would quickly change, nor that my vote's reasoning would be rather weak. I did just join the game, I mean.

It seems that my mistake was rushing to the tentative vote and not waiting/thinking longer. Lynch me for it if you must, but my BAH! post will be very BAH!ful, I promise.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #446 (isolation #17) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 am

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:
Psyche wrote:
Beck wrote:
Psyche wrote:Right. When I flip Town you'll automatically know budja is totally...what?

my posts 415 and 418 explained why I didn't buy your "townie termed explanations"

All you did was summarize what I did and call it odd.

and odd to me, means doesn't make sense, possibly scummy but not sure

the fact that the person before you was equally wishy washy and that you put your "tentative" vote on somebody to put them to L-1 and than backed off when people question you about it, seems like you are afraid of being called out or rocking the boat so you took it back

at least that is how I interpret it anyway

Afraid of being called out? For what? Agreeing with everyone else? I could have, and could still, EASILY justified a vote for Budja, the same way other people voting for him already have. It rocks the boat more to jump from one vote to another than to justify a vote that that just brought a player to L-1. I took the hard route because I decided that my reasoning for voting Budja was insufficient.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #448 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 am

Post by Psyche »

Beck wrote:You know what sheeping is right?

Yes, I had to look it up to be sure.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #451 (isolation #19) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:35 am

Post by Psyche »

You'd learn even more about VP Baltar with a VP Baltar lynch. Just sayin'.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #457 (isolation #20) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:13 am

Post by Psyche »

Hiplop reminds me of Magikarp. He keeps on using "Splash". I'm stuck wondering when he'll get to level 15 and learn Tackle.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #461 (isolation #21) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 am

Post by Psyche »

hiplop wrote:Yeah, im having a hard time getting in the game; becks posting style doesnt mesh well with mine and it just makes me angry, i usually play MUCH better than this, which is upsetting

Bull. Beck is one player. You aren't really interacting with him much, anyway.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #463 (isolation #22) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 am

Post by Psyche »

hiplop wrote:
Psyche wrote:
hiplop wrote:Yeah, im having a hard time getting in the game; becks posting style doesnt mesh well with mine and it just makes me angry, i usually play MUCH better than this, which is upsetting

Bull. Beck is one player. You aren't really interacting with him much, anyway.

O_O have you read the game? :roll: 90% of my posts are to him

90% is exaggerating. How does Beck, a single player, and his posting style turn you into a splashing Magikarp?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #491 (isolation #23) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Psyche »

pappums rat wrote:Yeah, lynch > no lynch, but I do not agree with lynching someone you have a strong townread on just so someone dies.

Chamber also said he would do this same thing. Tunnel vision ftw.

/doesn't like pappumsrat now.

Also, hoplip you deserve lynch not because you "aren't finding scum" but because you "aren't trying to find scum". Splash.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #493 (isolation #24) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Post by Psyche »

Sorry, I am terribly (terribly) bad with names. I've gone through a lot of troube even trying to remember panacea's consistently.

I was speaking of tunnel vision due to the fact that pappums was attacking hoplip for a behavior that 2 players were engaging in. Focusing on one player -> tunnel vision. I agree with the whole NL-avoidance thing on principle.

Hoplip, tell us about each player again, your thoughts on who's scummy/town and why, etc. It could help.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #500 (isolation #25) » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:29 am

Post by Psyche »

charter wrote:
VP Baltar wrote:charter, out of you and me, who do you think is going to die tonight? Also, people should realize it's almost deadline and do things (like voting hiplop).

Not me. I've thought about it, and
Claim: vanilla
. Let them kill someone not obvtown.

More scumpoints for Budja...
MOD, can we get a deadline extension for the replacement please?

Great idea.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #510 (isolation #26) » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

Incredibly scummy? Really? But you get the feeling I'm town. Doesn't that seem inconsistent? Ah, whatever.

Phoebus really misrepped me there. My statistics spiel was more weak thinking than "disingenuous". What makes it disingenuous?

Even more inaccurate is claiming that all I've done to defend my behavior is call people stupid. I'm pretty sure I've done at least a little more than that. A little.

And once again charter pre-empts my suspicion. If I do get lynched, at least Day 2 will be total fun...for you guys. :/
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #526 (isolation #27) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Post by Psyche »

Okay, I'm done playing outraged imbecile reeling from the consequences of his stupidity. Time to do why I joined this game.

Phoebus wrote:
Psyche wrote:Phoebus really misrepped me there. My statistics spiel was more weak thinking than "disingenuous". What makes it disingenuous?

Even more inaccurate is claiming that all I've done to defend my behavior is call people stupid. I'm pretty sure I've done at least a little more than that. A little.

I concede on one and a half points here.
Calling your statistics "disingenuous" was inaccurate. One cannot determine disingenuousness without determining intent. And even then, it may simply be weak thinking, like you said. However, your predecessor rubbed me the wrong way. Your beginning with statistics and back-pedalling so quickly, combined with how you fingered your predecessor as being potentially scummy -- all contribute to me being happy with my vote.

The half a point I concede is the second one... Yes.. maybe you've done a little more than call people stupid. However, none of it makes me want to change my mind.

*shrug*[/quote

So...the reasons you elaborated earlier for voting me were incorrect, and this is the REAL reason you're voting for me.
My "little more than call people stupid" didn't change your mind, but you find no motivation to elucidate,
and everything else that makes me scummy is the fault of a disinterested recreational player without enough discipline to endure criticism that I cannot account for,
and the wishy-washy posting style characteristic of her

You even simulate the shrug affectation that people automatically use when they're lying to avoid eye contact.

Why don't you just come out and say that you're voting me because it's easy to do? Uses less words and sends the same message but using shorter words. I'm sure you're scum.

pappums rat wrote:Psyche's defense is still horrible

Would it be too much to ask you to explain why? Or even comment on charter's opinion of you? Or did you just make that post to cope with the cognitive dissonance that comes with being scum under radar?

The game is already unraveling. Charter, why should I keep my vote on hoplip? I admit he's just a harmless Magikarp, not scum.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #527 (isolation #28) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Post by Psyche »

Damned embarassing typos...
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #529 (isolation #29) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Post by Psyche »

You'te missing that hoplip's just a distraction. Meta shows he's like this every game.

unvote
. I've got to consider deadline before voting, but...
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #533 (isolation #30) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

Please don't. I'm town. I can't account for Panacea, but my actions can be explained in detail. And it's not like you have to take the explanation on faith - it's supported by my own quotations. Explain why I'm scummy and give me a chance!

Also, sorru hiplop, I don't mean to be insulting. I'm just trying to make a point.

I've been busy defending myself. Sorry if that was wrong to do. Besides, you've been in the game longer.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #539 (isolation #31) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Post by Psyche »

Hey, pap, I'm not being ignored, right? This post is just unnecessary impatience?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #540 (isolation #32) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

Sigh...I'll vote late night in hopes that it might keep me from getting deadline lynched.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #542 (isolation #33) » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Post by Psyche »

Sigh. I blame myself. Oh well, Day 2 shoud be much more productive - this has been a very scummy wagon. Even the hammer was rushed.

I told you I could help you realize that I'm Town. You decided to ignore me for vague bull you never bothered to articulate.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #622 (isolation #34) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:56 am

Post by Psyche »