Song Contest 140 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:02 am

Post by Cyril »

sending an artist i recently discovered and probably the least safe (but best) song from them

emphasis on them/they btw
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 11, Vi wrote:I've submitted something that might be Satanic doom metal.
hell yeah

i submitted something that RYM is having a hard time classifying (and i am too) but we'll go with "power pop punk" that's close enough
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 am

Post by Cyril »

heck yeah PEG
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 am

Post by Cyril »

the band i sent released a music video like two days ago & got signed & stuff so i should probably replace my artist photo since there are actual band photos now but i'm not gonna do that
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #30 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 am

Post by Cyril »

I'm gonna start doing that but with songs nobody here would enjoy as side submissions.
Here's my favorite song off my favorite black metal album of the year: https://youtu.be/_R79s9vThV0
But the whole thing is great tbh
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 am

Post by Cyril »

Presumably Poland is a Billie Eilish cover
Has anyone sent her yet tho
Vi which one is you
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #66 (isolation #6) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by Cyril »

Turkey – I mean, I’m not a big punk guy in general despite loving some genres it evolved into, but this is like. Lacking in substance even for the genre. It has like two lyrics. I mean, I don’t mind it, I’m just… not at all interested in it. (AVERAGE)

Iraq – I mean, I’ve heard some Bon Iver before (their self-titled is solid and has a few good tunes). But uhh. What the actual hell is this garbage.

Solomon Islands – Is this the secret punk contest? I mean to be fair my song is tangentially related too but this is the second straight-up punk song in three tracks. Technically speaking this does have more substance to it, but it also feels like it just has two lyrics and it also goes on twice as long as the last one which isn’t a good thing. It’s… whatever. (AVERAGE)

North Korea – I didn’t like the music of this song at all anyways but holy crap the lyrics of this song are screwed up??!? Who the actual hell puts lyrics like this to music this cheery and cheesy? Wikipedia tells me they did this intentionally to try to get the song banned which, I GUESS. Song sucks either way, so.

Comoros – I think my least favorite thing about these guys is how the singer tries to sound so much like Robert Plant without even understanding the rough-edged appeal he had as a singer in the first place. Also the music is boring tripe. Not even the slightest bit “soulful”. God, these guys really are as bad as everyone says they are. The last minute is the only part of this that has any real use but it’s cheap emotional swell at best & I’m just, offended at the audacity of these guys. I’m not even a big Zeppelin fan!

Principality of Hutt River – Honestly I feel like it should be against the rules to outright send two songs like this but whatever. As such, I’m going to give this points based on the rating of the lower-scored one only. First one’s… a boring acoustic ballad. I don’t get anything off this song, it’s inoffensive at best. (AVERAGE). Second one’s better with a bit more of a pulse and I dig the organ solo, it’s probably the best song in the contest so far really. So it’s the one I’m not gonna listen to again, of course. (DECENT)

Iceland – This band is all over the place in terms of style and even in this song that kinda shows but this one’s definitely my favorite. The wildness and just raw emotional punch of this one slay me.

Belarus – Are you kidding me. You only need to listen to like the first 30 seconds of this to get the joke and then dip out. I stuck around until the vocals came in and that was about enough for me.

USA – Start of this: “boy I sure wonder if these guys have ever heard of Panic! at the Disco,
I really can’t tell
.” The –core vocals & the heavier bits don’t quite work for me but the rest of this is pretty cool though, regardless. 3-minute mark slays, actually. Yeah, alright. (GOOD)

Chad – I listened to this album a few times so I’m going to guess I’ll probably recognize this one. So far I don’t really though. I know Ghost is more of a live band than anything with their stage show and all and I’ve never been too into their sound but ehh. This is pretty Sabbath-y in style. The vocals not as much. I dunno, I feel the hook of this lacks any real power, but the riffs are pretty tasty. Inclined to like this but I don’t love it. Feels a bit long too. (DECENT)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #67 (isolation #7) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by Cyril »

vi, i skimmed through the other 10 entries and none of them sound like satanic doom metal to me. am i being conned
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #76 (isolation #8) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Post by Cyril »

The Netherlands – Solid pump-up metal but I really can’t stand the vocals at all. Like it’s just that simple. Decent music, awful vocals, I guess… (AVERAGE)

Djibouti – I only ever see this band’s name as a Cynic reference, despite the fact that they sound absolutely nothing like Cynic. Bits of this are interesting but most of it is just really generic and bland djent-core. I don’t get how anyone tells these kinds of songs or bands apart. (AVERAGE)

Poland – I feel like this cover doesn’t even understand the appeal of the original song. I don’t even love the original, but it’s dark and muted and unsettling and genuinely unique. Making it more of a conventional song and singing it like a generic WGWAG song just makes it completely uninteresting and pointless.

Kosovo – I feel like I’ve heard this before somewhere. It’s uhh. It exists, I guess. Maybe a bit too bright and glittery for me but I didn’t mind it, and it’s short anyways so yeah. (AVERAGE)

Finland – Sounds like diet Katatonia tbh. I don’t mind it but I’m never wild about this kind of gloomy, sludgy rock with deep-pitched vocals. I think this at least interests me more than the Katatonia I have heard though. (DECENT)

Japan – This song tricked me into thinking it was ending and then it didn’t and I feel robbed somehow. Like eehhh this is just like a longer and quieter version of Kosovo which on one hand it feels more like an actual song on the other hand I don’t think it needed to be that much longer either. (AVERAGE)

Costa Rica –This has like, a little bit of everything. Cool, chill atmosphere, some solid groove, some kind of guitar solo towards the end. I dig it. I’m not in love with it, but I dig it. (DECENT)

Portugal – I mean, it’s nice enough music but I legitimately can’t imagine listening to it for 15 minutes. I got bored after 3 & just briefly skimmed the rest. It all sounds basically the same to me.

Australia – There’s something condescending, almost, about the subject matter here, or at least it comes off that way through the lyrics. I don’t like their voice that much either but besides that a lot of this is really good, it just kinda irks me at points. (DECENT)

Uruguay – This is basically the same sound as the last one, but just not as musically interesting. It also doesn’t have lyrics that irk me though and I like the vocals more, so it kinda balances out? (DECENT)

this contest feels a bit better overall than usual but there's also a lot of stuff i didn't even feel like finishing or rating this time (6 songs...) so
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #80 (isolation #9) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 am

Post by Cyril »

"vocals are weak" ok boomer
also billie eilish does not appear anywhere on poland's entry. it's a (bad) cover of one of her songs
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #83 (isolation #10) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am

Post by Cyril »

i hope there aren't 21 because i only have 20

anyways i voted. can we introduce a rule about not allowing two literally completely separate songs in one entry in the future? i feel like that's intentionally trying to bend the rules. can i just submit an entire album as long as it's in one music video? 'cause if you let two songs in one entry then i don't see why i can't just send an entire album by the same logic
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #86 (isolation #11) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:19 am

Post by Cyril »

sometimes two songs on an album flow into each other in a way that makes both better. i think that one is fine.

sometimes they're two completely separate songs that have nothing to do with each other, like in this case
In post 84, Formerfish wrote:
In post 83, Cyril wrote:i hope there aren't 21 because
i only have 20

anyways i voted. can we introduce a rule about not allowing two literally completely separate songs in one entry in the future? i feel like that's intentionally trying to bend the rules. can i just submit an entire album as long as it's in one music video? 'cause if you let two songs in one entry then i don't see why i can't just send an entire album by the same logic
You counting your own?
yup 10 & 10 in each group i posted. and i just checked the OP again. there are 20.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #91 (isolation #12) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Post by Cyril »

so, i'm going to send a two hour album next contest then since apparently that's fine
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #95 (isolation #13) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Post by Cyril »

well i hope you liked my song this time then 'cause the messiness of the song is kind of the point :P

i'm sending something electronic and overproduced next contest so enjoy it while it lasts
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #97 (isolation #14) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Post by Cyril »

yeah i'll take that as a no
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #101 (isolation #15) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 am

Post by Cyril »

My rule this contest was to score it based on the song I liked less, but that's still time I had to spend listening to a second song unnecessarily
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #105 (isolation #16) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by Cyril »

Being rated in the same group as bon AUGH, ded zeppelin, and 15 minutes makes me :(

I kinda figured this one would be too much for people though but whatever I love it
Maybe at least check out this one too? Or die idc really
https://youtu.be/1R4JcZbDvy8
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #107 (isolation #17) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Post by Cyril »

so long, boomer

it's funny to me bcuz we have the same 12
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #114 (isolation #18) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37 am

Post by Cyril »

Rabble babble
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #118 (isolation #19) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 am

Post by Cyril »

Can always trust in PEG at least
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #122 (isolation #20) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 am

Post by Cyril »

I see how it is, all the people who liked my song were the ones who don't post :roll:

My top 2 were again the top 2 because I'm a sheep
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #126 (isolation #21) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 am

Post by Cyril »

wololo is my favorite new pokemon
Cyril
Cyril