Song Contest 204 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:12 am

Post by Pink Ball »

/in!
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:02 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Going for it now! Sorry for the delay
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #34 (isolation #2) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Spoiler: A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

Iraq

Every Time I Die - INRIhab

I like the non conventional chord progression, but the over extension between each verse was off. And well, the shouting. But overall I didn't hate it which is better than good!
Score: 3.5 out of 10
Antarctica

Julien-K - Cruel Daze of Summer

Background music. Maybe in another context in which I'm not giving full attention to it? Unnecessarily too hard on the bass. I like his voice!
Score: 3.5 out of 10
Club Penguin

Pete Seeger - Casey Jones (The Union Scab)

Lovely vocal range and in some specific parts the technique's outstanding (like when the first time he says "angels"). Back vocals are what shows how rustic music was back then, they're plain and boring, but of course, charming in their own way; I mean, we're talking about a 100+ year old song, recorded 70 years ago! Funny lyrics knowing how things turned up against communism just a couple of years later.
Score: 6.5 out of 10
Gibraltar

Portishead - Glory Box

It feels like I'm lacking some kind of context for this one, I got misleaded to believe it was maybe like a joke but it never got to the butt of it, I don't know, I feel weird about this song.
Score: 4.5 out of 10
Suriname

k.d. lang - The Valley

Should've ended in the 2 minute mark and would've hit much deeper; after that it gets kinda boring because of the mellow nature of the song itself. She's great, don't get me wrong, it's just that this kind of songs are better delivered when the meaningful lyrics go straight to the point, not as literal as possible no, but just a short, great message. Here Today by Paul McCartney is an example of what I'm trying to depict. This one's a great song nonetheless.
Score: 6 out of 10
Mali

Beabadoobee - Talk

Nope, not it. I'll give her the redeeming quality of hitting out perfectly the 00's pop vibe, but why though, that's not a good thing to do today. Plastic music, there's an over saturation of it.
Score: 2.5 out of 10
Tuvalu

Silent Planet - Antimatter

Oh you tried to fool me with this one didn't you?
Score: 2 out of 10
Scythia

Four Bitchin' Babes - What Was I Thinking?

If I had to judge it for the music itself, it would obviously do poorly 'cause it feels dull, like it's meant to just complement the lyrics and the humour. If I judge it as a humorous piece instead, however, it's even worse because it's not funny. See? I made it look like I was going to say the opposite of what I actually said, bamboozling the reader and using deception as my own humorous vehicle. If I had to judge my own joke, it would score better than this song.
Score: 1.5 out of 10
Peru

Jockstrap - Greatest Hits

Daaamn that bass. This one gets all the marbles this time, this one's the one that makes me want to listen to the whole album and see what's behind the curtain.
Score: 10 out of 10
Mount Celeste

Kensuke Ushio - Ping Pong Phase 2

Really cool, the build up makes actual sense, very creative.
Score: 8 out of 10
Poland

Dominic Fike - Ant Pile

I don't mind his generic indie voice, but the song in general gives pretty cool vibes. The section in which he starts singing faster is really well executed.
Score: 7 out of 10
Pakistan

Young the Giant - Superposition

Great lyrics delivered in a not so great indie way.
Score: 6 out of 10
Bhutan

Lil Mariko - Hi, I'm a Slut

This reminds me of that girl who used to sell bath water and I say that as an insult.
Score: 1 out of 10
Sweden

Arcana - Like Statues in the Garden of Dreaming

I don't get it. I mean I do get it, but not in this context, maybe?
Score: 2.5 out of 10
eSwatini

James Blunt - The Greatest

I started writing this after listening to this song saying agree to disagree: James Blunt is a one-hit wonder, even if he has objectively better songs than You're Beatiful, he's not remarkable enough and his voice is actually a bit annoying. I was so sure about this that I started listening to another James Blunt song just to prove my point, and well, that song was Monsters. Fuck me I cried like a baby, I'm still crying while writing this. I'll still give this one a lower score because it's cheesy. If you'd have submitted Monsters instead I'd give it a 10 out of 10.
Score: 5 out of 10
Gabon

Noah Kahan & Post Malone - Dial Drunk

Decent! I need to dive into Post Malone, everyitme I interact with him (against my will) I really like what he does. It's cool to see he's experimenting with different music styles too.
Score: 7.5 out of 10
Vatican City

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Union Dixie

Now this one's just brilliant. Maybe this particular Song Contest iteration is making this one even better because of the previous songs I've listened, but I loved the idea, the execution and the music overall.
Score: 8.5 out of 10
Australia

G Flip - The Worst Person Alive

Amazing song. I don't know anything about this and I don't have the time to research but it feels like the drummer composed the song 'cause it's rhytmically lovely and the drums are actually what make this song stand out from the rest.
Score: 9.5 out of 10
Wales

The Murder Capital - Crying

Not really into it, but it had some interesting parts.
Score: 4 out of 10
Chile

Angra - Carry On

Last Song Contest's Nightwish entry reminded me of this song which I used to listen when I was a kid via my older brothers. I used to like it a lot for its intensity and because of the lead singer's voice, I couldn't believe back then that a man could sing like that. Not the best song in the world, but nostalgia is always a cool factor.
Score: Carry On out of 10

Return to “General Discussion”