Song Contest 206 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:38 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

/in
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #31 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:08 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

Spoiler: The playlist link was broken and I had to do this the slightly more annoying way

eSwatini - Monster Manual Mash

I've never really been able to get into D&D, though I do have a passing knowledge and vague interest. This didn't really do much for me as a result, a lot of the references felt kinda forced, and the charm from the original song isn't really present, but it does seem like she had fun making it, and that's really all that matters in the end for a silly holiday parody right?

Peru - Satellite

I ALMOST actually like this one. Instrumental is a solid vibe, and I like the lyrical concept here, but I wasn't really able to get into the flow with it, and the chorus dragged the rest of it down a lot by being incredibly grating. It's riiiight on the threshold of joining the handful of rap songs I enjoy, but falls just short. Disappointing, but an interesting listen.

Mount Celeste - Bomb-Sniffing Pomeranian

Absolutely fantastic. Love the crunchy FM synths, very Genesisy, and all of the different musical layers hit perfectly, with enough variation to stay interesting the whole duration. Physically impossible not to jam to. Will be surprised if this doesn't end up in my top spot this contest.

Scythia - Dancing Mad

Dancing Mad is iconic for a reason, and this is a very good arrangement of it. I quite like the addition of actual lyrics where I'm pretty sure the original just had generic vocalization. Adds some extra texture to it. I don't know whether to praise this for still sounding authentic to the original when most orchestral renditions of classic game music doesn't, or to praise the original for squeezing so much out of the SNES audio that it even CAN sound authentic to a real orchestra. Either way, it's real good.

Portland - Keep It on a Burner

I don't like it. I don't really have nuanced opinions here, it just... doesn't sound good. Sorry.

Chile - I Need to Be in Love

A bit generic, but nothing wrong with that. Does everything pretty well, and the vocalist's voice does a great job guiding through it.

Slovenia - Drowning in the Sound

Sick as hell. Excellent work on the instrumentation, the vocals hit hard, and lyrically it hits me a bit personally. Love the energy the whole way through, Trivium very rarely disappoints, and they have not here.

Mali - Paper Nihilist

See, this is the kind of rap that I can get into. Really enjoyed all the instrumentation going on, the lyrics are both interesting and flow well through the music, and it's easy to get into the vibes. Very good work from a very sad paper man.

Old Zealand - I Always Knew

Ehh, doesn't really do much for me. It's the kind of song that would be playing on a radio in public and I wouldn't register it beyond the background noise.

Antarctica - A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup

It's seasonally appropriate, I couldn't not submit this one! Something of an acquired taste for me, but it really does set the atmosphere perfectly for Pumpkin Hill, and while nostalgia definitely plays a part in my enjoyment, it's still fun to pop on every October.

Japan - Venom

This one was really good! The dubstep/metal combo works really well together, and while normally I'm not a fan of the overly screamy style of metal vocals, it fits perfectly with this song, and I can't really imagine it with proper singing. Also damn, they went hard with the costume design, though that isn't really part of the song itself and doesn't factor into my ranking, it is worth noting.

Sweden - Like Orpheus

Really enjoying the metal concentration in the lower half of the list. This one was also really good, though I don't really understand the Orpheus analogy tbh. Still, the vocalist here is absolutely outstanding, could probably sing about actual nonsense and still make it seem meaningful. Top notch work here.

United States of Erica - Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall

I too am Five Feet Nine-and-a-Half Inches Tall. I do, however, experience fear. It's a fun and jaunty tune though. Feels kinda weird having synths in something that otherwise sounds like it's a few decades before that would have been expected. Not in a bad way though.

Eritrea - The Downfall of Us All

This song gives me a strong nostalgia despite never having heard it before. Just feels like perfect intersection of a lot of what I listened to growing up I suppose. I liked it quite a bit.

Missed deadline by a few hours, but ah well. I wasn't winning this one anyway.
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!

Return to “General Discussion”