New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1116 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 am

Post by Starbuck »

In post 66, Battle Mage wrote:
In post 41, Annadog40 wrote:
In post 38, Battle Mage wrote:good move, although will take a bit of getting used to! Maybe we could just removing the killing altogether and say:

"Player X fled"?
lore wise, i'd be incentivized to get voted up since I wouldn't risk death unlike with the mafia.
You're right...maybe the Mafia can just "remove from the town", rather than killing! :giggle:

Non-violent mafia is what we want!
You have hereby been ostracized!

In post 87, panthaleon wrote:I'm actually pretty down with getting rid of cop as a word. Detective is far better suited
+1

We can roll the way the British do with like "Detective Inspector" or some such. Sorry, I rewatched Broadchurch recently and just finished Scott and Bailey on Amazon Prime.
In post 107, Clair wrote:
In post 47, panthaleon wrote:I'm also happy for the people of color who might have otherwise been put off my the candor with which we use traditionally racialized violence as part of a game :)
This attitude is actually racist. I know many black people who play mafia and are, in fact, smart enough to disassociate the word "lynch" from fear of actually being lynched. I think they can speak for themselves, for and against this change, without being imagined as fragile people who need words put into their mouths.
You're also discounting those who might not speak up about it. Being inclusive and thinking about what words might hurt folks is inherently anti-racist. You're effectively using the "I have a black friend" argument which speaks to privilege. Just because your friends aren't offended doesn't mean others aren't.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1162 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:51 am

Post by Starbuck »

+1 on Cancel as a new term

This post right here is way more eloquent than I could put my thoughts at the given moment:
In post 113, Elbirn wrote:Mods: This was a good decision and long over-due. Thank you.

Nay-sayers: I'd like to say that for one thing, several of you appear to be not American. And as a result, you don't have the context of exactly why so many Americans are uncomfortable with that word. I don't want that to sound condescending, simply that you are going to feel differently about the word as a result. In other contexts than mafia the word lynch can be taken to mean an execution as a result of some kind of "mob justice", typically by hanging. So maybe it just doesn't seem like a big deal to you. In the United States that word explicitly recalls lynchings of black men, not just throughout our whole history, or in the 1950's, but
even currently
as several other users have pointed out! We're having cases of black men being found dead hung from trees and our police rule them "suicides".

It is really the most minor of inconveniences to update your lingo to not include a word that carrys so much baggage, please just be cool.

Also this:
In post 263, Nahdia wrote:yall, there are some seriously disappointing takes here.

Caring about not making people uncomfortable or hurting them is never a bad thing. Filtering ourselves to be a more inclusive, welcoming community isn't hard.

This isn't censorship, this is kindness.
In post 244, D3f3nd3r wrote:I didn't read the five pages in the middle of this thread, but this seems like the perfect place for us to steal Large Social Game lingo and call it voting a player out. "X has been voted out Day 1, they were a Vanilla Townie." "With 9 alive, it's 5 to vote someone out."

People won't like it because it's Large Social Game lingo but they should :(
Seriously, just treat it like Survivor. Jeff Probst style.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1172 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 am

Post by Starbuck »

In post 286, Something_Smart wrote:Are you suggesting that there's any possible role that would sound more badass than "Eliminator"?
I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!

ARE Y'ALL READY?

TERMINATOR

Return to “News”