[Board Game]Diplomacy 1914

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

Diplomacy is the best worst board game I've ever played. I know all the reasons why it's terrible (game length, needs 7 players, player elimination etc) but I've still gotten hooked to it more than any other game ever.

Glad to see another fan! :D
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:40 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

I actually run a YouTube channel focused on the game - mainly commentaries but the occasional puzzle.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_5f6r ... 986QDRf5pg

Warning though, they're not short videos :D This is probably the best one, where I recorded my thoughts on a game year by year as I was playing it and stitched the whole thing together afterwards:

CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:34 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

I didn't even think to check this thread again! Surprised (and happy) to see more posts :D

@word - completely agree on the AT front, longterm it definitely tends to benefit Turkey. I obviously didn't really like the Italian disband at the time but looking at the result, I'd agree that it was in his interests!

@northsidegal - Thanks! I never really expected anyone who wasn't into Diplomacy to watch something like that but I'm really glad you enjoyed it :D I guess it's similar to social games (like the Nonary one) in a big way.
(speaking of which, I still think you should play another LSG :P )
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #11 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

If anyone is interested:

I qualified for the DBNI, an invitational event that's only open to the top 28 Diplomacy players in the world by DBNI Ranking. I'm technically 30th, but a few people above me couldn't attend so I managed to sneak in as one of the lowest seeds :D

If anyone is interested in following the games, there'll be live commentary on the Diplomacy Broadcast Network's youtube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCj88H0KNyakiUXuN7jSz_EQ

I'm not allowed to disclose what rounds I'm playing in, but all of the commentary will be this weekend and next weekend. I'm both hyped and terrified :D
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #13 (isolation #4) » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

Update on this! I had an okay showing round 1 (7 centre Turkey, which is better than it sounds because current meta is to crush Turkey out of the game immediately) but then I solo'd as England in my second game, guaranteeing that I qualify for finals.

I'm unbelievably stoked. Solos are ridiculously rare in ftf-style tournament - across the whole of 2020 (which had about 300 tournament games played) there were only 4 solos total.
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

If you just want to see the maps, my games are here and here. Former playing Turkey, latter playing England.

If you're looking for the commentary, it was in the two livestreams here and here, the latter being my solo. Both broadcasts covered two games each, mine were Edi Birsan and Don Miller!
Sometimes when I'm thinking of a track to submit, I think to myself "okay I could submit X, but I know a lot of people won't care for it, there's no point in wasting their time and mine". Glad to see [CaptainMeme] isn't burdened by such thoughts.

-Het
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #18 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:45 pm

Post by CaptainMeme »

Chaos Diplomacy Best Diplomacy

I used to play variants a ton :D Not so much anymore but there are a lot of solid ones out there.

-Het
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #22 (isolation #7) » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

Ahaha, not well. Not well at all :D I got attacked by all three of my neighbours from the getgo and died in 1905.

But hey, that's Diplomacy sometimes!

-Het

Return to “The Arcade”