Microsoft is Winning the Console War

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:07 am

Post by lendunistus »

microsoft has literally already had an (almost) monopoly on PC gaming since the majority of games that release on steam, GOG, etc are windows-only

granted, they can’t charge fees off those games unless they’re being sold through microsoft’s own storefront but windows has still been
the
PC gaming OS (and
the
OS for mainstream usage in general) for ages

the only reason PC gaming is on the rise right now is because consumers are starting to realize that modern consoles are fundamentally just locked down PCs
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:10 am

Post by lendunistus »

also, sony has sold more than 10 million units of the PS5 by now and they’re getting even more money from PS plus subscriptions, PS store fees, etc

sony’s releasing some older PS4 games on steam to appease the crowd. sony and the playstation brand are NOT about to die.

if sony were to release uncharted 5 or something on steam like a day after the PS5 release I’d see your argument
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 3, House wrote:
In post 1, lendunistus wrote:microsoft has literally already had an (almost) monopoly on PC gaming since the majority of games that release on steam, GOG, etc are windows-only

granted, they can’t charge fees off those games unless they’re being sold through microsoft’s own storefront but windows has still been
the
PC gaming OS (and
the
OS for mainstream usage in general) for ages

the only reason PC gaming is on the rise right now is because consumers are starting to realize that modern consoles are fundamentally just locked down PCs
This isn't about Windows.

It's a given that iOS & *nix are shit for gaming, in comparison.

Thing is, consoles used to be preferable to a pc not only because of exclusives, but also because they were more stable due to proprietary hardware & uniformity. Developers didn't have to design games for a kajillion different potential builds.
just to be clear, you're saying that since sony is starting to port their games to PC, we're moving towards a state in which consoles are obsolete, which benefits Microsoft, correct?

I don't think that's the case, since sony's only porting their older games over. plus, consoles still have appeal towards mainstream consumers since building a PC equally specced to a PS5 is way more expensive and most families already have a PC in their home to use word or whatever, so they won't go for a gaming PC when little timmy can work out a PS5 just fine
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (isolation #3) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:44 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 6, House wrote:If Microsoft and Nintendo work out a partnership to bring Game Pass to the Switch, it could tank PlayStation outright... and it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bailed out a failing tech company. Apple is still around today because of Microsoft.
> Nintendo
> failing

no.

I get that from your perspective, the Switch may not be satisfactory and the games might not be that great, but they're still getting a crap ton of sales. nintendo is known for their gimmicks and great games (although the latter might be starting to fade), not exactly powerful hardware

also, Nintendo execs literally laughed at Microsoft's execs when they proposed to buy Nintendo so I don't think what you proposed is happening
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (isolation #4) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Post by lendunistus »

In post 8, House wrote:Microsoft doesn't have to buy Nintendo. :lol:

They didn't buy Apple. :roll:
my point was that Nintendo would probably be opposed to cooperation with Microsoft and the Xbox brand

if they want to make a Nintendo Game Pass (which they probably don't) they'll do it themselves
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:22 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 24, Who wrote:
Cloud gaming is this era's game changer. Gamers aren't stuck having to buy a console to play their games, if they don't want to, or wait until they get home to play if they're on a trip.
If Cloud gaming is so important then sounds like the console war has been won by Google with the Google Stadia.
didn’t the absolutely shit tier tech at launch play a huge part in stadia’s demise
that and also the fact that you had to actually buy your games individually?

I’ve heard people say that stadia has gotten pretty good recently but the launch sucked immensely so its fate is pretty much sealed

also, as someone who lives in a small eastern european country, I absolutely do not want cloud gaming to become the dominant form of playing video games
at least in the next 5 years
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:23 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 20, House wrote:
In post 19, Who wrote:
In post 18, House wrote:As far as I'm concerned? PS having roughly the same status as Nintendo.
The Nintendo Switch has sold over 92 million units so far. Microsoft's best selling game console, the 360, sold a mere 84 million units. If the PS5 outselling Microsoft's bestselling console will win Microsoft the console war then... it could happen, no guarantees but so far even the worst selling Playstation still outsold the best selling xbox so yeah there's a decent chance that Microsoft "wins" the console war by that metric.

I think you're projecting your personal hatred of Nintendo onto everyone else. If Nintendo is only kept alive by a small collection of dedicated customers then no Xbox has ever attracted anything more than a small collection of customers.
Microsoft's future in the gaming industry isn't the Xbox. It's Game Pass. Xbox is just one medium among several that can utilize Game Pass.
i’d be surprised if microsoft is currently making profit off of game pass

Return to “The Arcade”