Model games for newbs to read?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Model games for newbs to read?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 am

Post by gorckat »

I know this has come up before, but what completed Normals would be a good read for newbs?

I imagine they should (updated):

1) Have very few, if any, replacements

2) Tend towards standard play
2a) Later examples should include more exotic playstyles and gambits
3) Be a mix of town and scum wins

Once identified, is there anyone willing to look at them as a group and come up with a few questions to give newbs something to chew on as they read?

I don't mean a complete curriculum and "here's the only way to play" kind of thing, but something like:

Post 125: What do you think BillBob's motive is by claiming cop with no one voting him?
Post 280: Why is what JimmyJoe just posted a mistake, given his previous play?

Stuff like that. I'm expecting a little lag time between jobs in a couple weeks and want something to keep me busy in a creative fashion (aside from, you know...finding work). Plus I might benefit myself.
Last edited by gorckat on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 am

Post by gorckat »

Shea wrote:Is fritzler standard? How about BJ, or IS?
I've never played with them, and I can't recall off the top of my head a game of theirs I've read, so I couldn't say, but point taken.

Zindy also brings up a good point- that themes with relatively simple roles should be included as well.

Rather than 3 or 4 games to steer people towards, perhaps a continuum (UU!) of games, starting with good Newbies up to themes/complex setups, maybe 10 or 12 games, would make a better presentation. In the earlier games, "normal play" is presented, and more esoteric/exotic play tucked into the later games.

Updating first post.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”