Model games for newbs to read?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:11 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

We've had similar topics before, but this thread is asking for model games for
newbies
to read. If I were a newbie, there is no way I would be able to read a 70-page game and understand all of the merit it has. This thread should be advocating fairly short games with lots of good information in them (perhaps with a note of special things to look for). I will try to make some suggestions when I am not on a 5-minute time constraint at the school library. :P
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Newbie #124. I often suggest this game as good reading; excellent players, and excellent discussion. There are things to be learned as both scum and town. 9 pages. Town win.

Newbie #254. Excellent scum-hunting by town, some excellent discussion (on theory and other things) and excellent counterplay from scum after a tough Day One. This game demonstrates one of the few proper instances for when a townsperson can legitimately offer themselves up as a lynch, as well as a variety of playstyle types to take note of (slow and methodical, lurking, provocative / purposefully against the grain). 17 pages. Town win.

Mini 167, Les Miserables, an excellent show for how to play as scum in tough positions. 17 pages. Scum win.

Mini 240, Worst Role EVAR, just an awesome game that everybody should read after they are comfortable in understanding most of the roles in mafia. 13 pages. Nobody wins.

Edit: Almost edited in Muppets Mafia, but I'm not sure if that's so much a "model" game as it is a fun game to read. Worst Role Evar still needs to be read, however, as a model... for awesomeness.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”