Modding Best Practices: One Player's View

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Post by Adel »

votecount as of post 233

with 12 alive, 7 will lynch before deadline

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

¬Jopoho
: 5: CoolBot, Khelvaster, jmar, Hjalti, Frostypants
izak013

Khelvaster
: 1: Numenorean7

not voting
: Sir Tornado, death_oman, Jopoho, Sir Wario, spurgistan, DGMavn
˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚
deadline is November 11 at 0100 GMT

In my games I use "¬" as a flag for who will be lynched at deadline. The flag only moves to another player once that other player has more votes than the current vote-flag holder. I came up with this system after reading a game where player X had five voes and player Y had four votes. Right before deadline, someone unvoted player X, and player Y was then lynched because he had been at four votes for a longer period of time.

I think that for deadlines it is a good practice to have a rule stating something to the effect of "Votes and unvotes that accur after the deadline will not be counted." that way if can't be there to lock the thread at the specific deadline time the players will realize that while they can still post since the thread is unlocked, who will be lynched has been determined.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Post by Adel »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Adel wrote: In my games I use "¬" as a flag for who will be lynched at deadline. The flag only moves to another player once that other player has more votes than the current vote-flag holder. I came up with this system after reading a game where player X had five voes and player Y had four votes. Right before deadline, someone unvoted player X, and player Y was then lynched because he had been at four votes for a longer period of time.
Yeah...I don't like time-based deadline tiebreakers at all. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that issue in the next game I mod...perhaps "tie at deadline means no lynch" would be a good plan.
Over the last few months I've changed my mind regarding if a specific time should be given at all. It seems to penalize players who have a schedule that doesn't let them be on during the last few hours (or hour) before the deadline strikes.

Somethimes I think that a 24 hour window is the best way to go, so long as the time chosen to lock the thread is left to chance and not game events, and is not predictable.

At other times I think the clarity of a specific hour within a specific day is the best way to go since it is clear and simple.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 am

Post by Adel »

some mods (Guardian was the first person I noticed) state in their rule set that night moves that are not submitted will be randomized. To not make the move you have to pm the mod saying so. I like it: little mod effort and total transparency.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”