Modding Best Practices: One Player's View

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:43 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

4 seems unneccesary to me. Yes, cops should usually recieve a "no result" if there is no result, but I don't see any real reason for a mod to respond back to the doc and say "Yes, I got your action"; the doc can certanly see that the mod read his PM, after all. If you have a question, of course (like "did you get a night choice from us"), then feel free to ask.

As for 5...it varies. If a prod is given in response to a player request, I guess the mod should post it in thread. As for the rest...eh. I don't really like people getting too much information directly from the mod, like "X picked up his prod at 7:30 PM, then he didn't post until the next evening, so he must have been having trouble inventing a fake claim...". But then again, when I prod a player, it means they need to post in the near future, or be replaced; I don't cotton to this "Psst, mod, I'm lurking, let me be" stuff anyway.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Adel wrote: In my games I use "¬" as a flag for who will be lynched at deadline. The flag only moves to another player once that other player has more votes than the current vote-flag holder. I came up with this system after reading a game where player X had five voes and player Y had four votes. Right before deadline, someone unvoted player X, and player Y was then lynched because he had been at four votes for a longer period of time.
Yeah...I don't like time-based deadline tiebreakers at all. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that issue in the next game I mod...perhaps "tie at deadline means no lynch" would be a good plan.
I think that for deadlines it is a good practice to have a rule stating something to the effect of "Votes and unvotes that accur after the deadline will not be counted." that way if can't be there to lock the thread at the specific deadline time the players will realize that while they can still post since the thread is unlocked, who will be lynched has been determined.
(nods) That's a good idea. The alternate idea is just to state in your rules that the deadline dosn't actually happen until the mod comes into the thread and announces end-of-day, like "Deadline will be at some time after 8:00 PM tommorow, whenever the mod is avalable to lock the thread". The ambiguaty should be eliminated, though; having one or the other, and having everyone know which one, is probably best.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”