Newbie 655: Zeroville. (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:26 am

Post by The Pope's Tiara »

/confirm
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 am

Vote: WhereIsTony

Nothing says scum like a random vote, Tony.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 am

Then again JonMW, that was quite the chainsaw defense. Maybe we're the scum here.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:43 pm

JonMW wrote:
WhereIsTony wrote:what is a chainswa defense?
According to the wiki, a chainsaw defense is when you claim to be a Miller, or some other pro-town role that investigates as guilty, allowing you to defend yourself without counterattacking the person that investigates you.
However, there are no Millers in this game, and nobody has done any claiming yet... so I don't see how I could have done a chainsaw defense.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep track of who's voting for whom. I'm gonna have to draw a freaking diagram or something.
I thought chainsaw defense was when a person defends another who is being accused of scum by attacking the accuser.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

WhereIsTony wrote:
The Pope's Tiara wrote:
Vote: WhereIsTony

Nothing says scum like a random vote, Tony.
And voting for you was not random it was "near random"

I wanted to vote for someone who had not posted yet to see how they would react.

I do find your reaction troubling though, not "proof of scum" troubling but troubling nonetheless
I do find your inability to detect irony scummy.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm

MichelSableheart wrote: The Pope's Tiara, you voted WhereIsTony because he random voted. J_Slr also made a random vote. Was there a particular reason why you didn't vote J_Slr?
J_Sir didn't vote for me (sorry for triple posting).
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:51 pm

M4yhem wrote:No comment on me voting you, Tiara?
You wouldn't want to vote off a cop, would you? I mean, we don't know what anyone is, and my user name is p. cool.

Why not go for someone who isn't playing? If we vote for the unconfirmed night (regardless of what he is), it will make no difference. He isn't playing anyway.

When you play Soduko, you need a few placed tiles to give you some basic guessing. When you play minesweeper, you need to click that first tile. When you're solving a cryptogram (for all you oldies), you need a hint to the first letter (I guess). Someone has to go or die, so I say it be the guy that isn't playing.

Unvote

If we can all agree to this, then I will go ahead as well. I don't think randomly voting someone off makes sense. Let's go for that guy who isn't even here.

Vote: hohum

Seriously. Wouldn't you hate it if you were voted off first? I mean, what's the fun in that. Let's at least let something pop up that is actually sensical before we start knocking off the people who are actually playing.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (isolation #7) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:03 pm

M4yhem wrote:Oh my god.

1. There's more chance statistically of you being scum than cop. Also, implying that you might be cop is a dodgy defense and puts the town in danger because people's reactions to your suggestion can help scum find the real cop.

2. Are you serious?
Firstly, the mod is already taking care of the hohum problem. Trust Erg0, he will look after us.
Second, we have no idea if hohum is scum or not because we have nothing to go on. You're basically saying we should take a wild stab in the dark and kill someone who can't defend themselves...for the sake of people's feelings?
That's not how the game works. If you'd looked careful at the other players and then worked out hohum was scum by a process of elimination that'd be fine but as it is your vote is baseless and I feel very happy voting you.
Wow, you're taking this very seriously. The main reason I recommended him was because he wasn't me.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (isolation #8) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Sorry for being nervous in my first game.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (isolation #9) » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:58 am

If you guys really want to get rid of me that badly, then what can I do to stop you? All I could tell you is that I am a vanilla townie. If I was a super townie, then the mob would just kill me. If I was mafia, then it wouldn't behoove me to tell you such.

Mob mentality is a crazy thing, and seeing that there will be blood, I will not take part in a random lynching.

Unvote, Vote: No Lynch
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (isolation #10) » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:39 am

M4yhem wrote: For example: why do you think someone who makes a random vote is likely scum?
Why do you think any lynch that we make today will be random?
Don't you think we have a chance of catching scum?
Do you think our chances of finding scum go up or down if we focus on the inactive players? Why?
That post was meant to be ironic. I said it was scummy to vote randomly to make light of some people's strategy of early indicators of who is scum and and such. I then voted somewhat randomly as well.

I don't think it will be completely random, but at best won't be very good. Unless someone makes a really stupid statement, then day 1 is a terrible time to lynch. There is such a small chance (unless something happens) to get a mafia.

Not necessarily on the first day. Maybe after the night or once more people get talking, but only around half of the players seem to be actually conversing with what's going on. I think we need a bit more talk first.

I think focusing on inactive players could be somewhat useful. Sort of. What if one is scum? The other argument is of course that we can replace them with active players. That (on other boards and in the past) can lead to a bit of a stand still. Obviously once we get to a night stage (and after a murder/cop reveal) we will have a better idea of what's going on in town. Obviously looking at active players can help us to get a grip on their view point, but in a newbie game a mafia might be a bit worried about posting and drawing attention. They might also be the ones pointing the most fingers. They might be somewhere in the middle. It could be me. I think more surveying needs to go on, but without a night phase first there aren't many actual facts to go on. Just speculation.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (isolation #11) » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:56 am

MichelSableheart wrote:I personally think it's still a bit early to call Syphen an active lurker. The game hasn't been going for that long.

The Pope's Tiara, there is a serious flaw in your plan to no lynch in order to get information. Assume for a moment we have no power roles whatsoever (which has, ignoring information players have gotten from their rolepm, a 25 % chance of happening). Not lynching in that case will allow the mafia to kill a player, leaving eight players alive. If there are lynches and nightkills each day and night after that, we must hit mafia in either of our next two lynches, or there will be two townies vs two mafiosi, resulting in a mafia win. Right now, if there are no powerroles, we have 3 chances to hit a mafiamember before we have lost. No lynching in that scenario would simply cost us an attempt to lynch mafia. And even if we do have powerroles, the situation isn't much better. A doctor is unlikely to receive information (the chance of a succesful protect is pretty low), and a cop may be nightkilled or have his target nightkilled. And if we have both a cop and doctor, the cop may be blocked too. Basically, if we vote no lynch, we give up a lynch for too little gain.
I said that at the present time I couldn't make an educated guess as to who the mafia was. Instead of just unvoting, I voted to not lynch. I assure you that this was for entirely dramatic purposes.

Using your argument, by making a guess vote we would only catalyze the endgame where we lose. So it would make more sense to jump on bandwagon votes of any person in this thread to help the mafia win.

Are you trying to suggest we hurry up and vote because you're scum?
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (isolation #12) » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:57 am

I mean, shouldn't we only lynch if we absolutely know that the person we're lynching is mafia? With so few players a bad lynch makes it that much easier for us to lose.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (isolation #13) » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:54 am

But wasn't the other person's argument that by not lynching the mafia will kill a townie, thus making it harder for the townies to get enough votes to successfully carry out lynches against the mafia (seeing as how they would work together)?

Maybe it's just a difference of opinion that I'm caught in the middle of, but the two schools of thoughts on why we need to lynch seem rather contradictory to me.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (isolation #14) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:46 pm

After carefully reviewing this thread I have come to a conclusion on a possible mafia.

Unvote, Vote:Syphen

I could write a detailed explination, but it would just be an echo of what has already been said.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (isolation #15) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:14 am

WhereIsTony wrote:I owuld like to Re-iterate my willingness to answer questions

@ pope

Why were you nervous

@ pope

you said Syphen after careful considerateion looking at the thread but did not elaborate. That re-enforced my belief you are Scum
1: I thought if I just agreed with you guys that my actions appeared to be from newbieness and nerves that there would be less pressure on me and the focus would move else where. And it did.

2: I said that he looked like scum for reasons already stated, some even being directly above that post. Do you really need me to type up why I think that way? Or, if your heart is set on it, just say so and I will copy-paste it from others. I didn't want to post a long, redundant message.

HoS: WhereIsTony

You seem really shifty and are always trying to sway the focus to different things. The consistently capricious behavior you display makes me really suspicious of you. If I could vote for two people, I would. But I can't, so I'm Hand of Suspicioning you.
The Pope's Tiara
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
The Pope's Tiara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (isolation #16) » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:35 am

Salmon of Doubt: JonMW

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of people who want to lynch me/think I'm scum.

I'm not going to write a giant apologetic on how there's no way I could be scum, how I've been using flawless logic and flawless gut feelings to my best effort to save the town. I think that it really doesn't change people's minds and is a bit scummy.

If you guys have any specific questions I will answer them honestly and frankly, no bullshit or filler.

JonMW's post seems a bit scummy in that he is really trying hard to defend himself, overly so. Sure, we don't want to die, but he seems much more emotionally invested. I'm not saying that makes him scum, but I'm doubting he's being completely honest. (Hence, Salmon of Doubt.)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”