Mini 622 - Mind Screw Mafia - Das ist alles!

Cavebear with a toothache
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:51 am

Post by Cavebear with a toothache »

iamausername wrote:I think we're going to want to figure out where our votes will really end up
What'll be
really
interesting to see is who's eventually lynched; the guy with the votecount or the guy with the names. Or someone completely different. Also, I wonder if the votes will chain around in a circle or if they'll form two or more groups of linked people.

Vote: Musher333

Investigating FoS:es:
FoS: Musher333

FoS: Musher333
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 pm

iamausername wrote:We're gonna need someone else to vote Korts or Musher before the next votecount (and no other votes) so we can tell which vote is which, by the way.
Good point.
Unvote, vote: Korts

Now someone can vote on whoever they like. The next two people after that should vote first Korts (taking him to three) and the other person (to two) before anyone votes someone "new" again. Basically, don't let people be on the same number of new votes at the votecount.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Un-FoS: Musher333

Unvote, vote: remussaidow
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:24 am

Unvote, vote: Jex

Jenter Brolincani wrote:Have you thought it my be votes BY certain people or roles ON certain people that are deflected?
You mean as in not all votes on different people being treated the same? As in me voting person X doesn't necessarily lead to the same result as person Y voting person X? That would complicate things, yeah. We should probably try out "the system" with a couple of votes once we've finished this mapping.

Musher333: Yeah, the double FoS was just to see if I'd get one or two FoS:es on you.

I wonder if the FoS:es mean something. I could imagine stuff like FoS:es actually counting for lynches and the vote being something like kingmaker though, or the person with the most FoS:es at the end of the day losing his vote, or the opposite way around, or any number of possibilities. Should be fun finding out. :)
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (isolation #4) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 am

Korts wrote:Psst. Don't give ideas to the mod.
If he's making up new rules, I'd much prefer it if they're rules we've already thought of. Should be easier to recognize that way. :)

Anyway, if that pattern matches (and it looks like it does), and we really did get a hint about it, it might be useful to pay close attention to what the mod hints at with his other points of order. Here they are, for reference:
Tarhalindur, intro post wrote:"What is insanity to those who understand it not?

What is reality to those who cannot see it?

Each of you shall wake up to a reality unlike any you have known, a land of dreams and nightmares, a shifting superposition of aligned states. A place where technobabble is truly explanation. A reality where the rules themselves seem resistant to discovery.

Some of you will learn to adapt. Some of you... won't.

Do you trust your memories of what has worked before? Are you willing to guess as to what's really going on? Can you find those who would impose their twisted view of reality on you before time runs out?"
Interesting stuff: "Do you trust your memories of what has worked before?" Could very well mean that the rules do change from day to day.
"What is the sound of one atom happening?"
Reminds me of the old koan, "what is the the sound of one hand clapping?". Answer is open for debate; I kinda like "cl". What's the sound of two atoms? The sound of fusion?
"Genesis turns to its source, reductuon occurs stepwise though the essence is all one. End of Line"
This is apparently (according to google) a quote from Battlestar Galactica, more specifically from a Hybrid (a central computer) on a Cylon baseship. I'm not a fan of Battlestar Galactica myself, and don't have the details, but Cylons are bad guys.
"Penguins? In my humongous mecha mind screw anime series? HELLZ YEAH!"

This is definitely a reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Huge mechs and a penguin (Penpen). Also gets very screwy in later episodes. Even the capitalized part seems to fit with the temper and attitude of a certain red-headed girl.
"The fate of the world depends on... a BASEBALL GAME?! *facepalm*"
This one I don't know. Baseball isn't something I'm familiar with. Sounds like some kind of reference though.
"And you don't seem to understand..."
Hint for us?
"Do YOU know where your towel is?"
Reference to A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, maybe?
"So long as one soul exists, it will be proof that humanity once existed."
Don't know. Sounds like a quote.
"The pattern is self-evident, if only you can see the key."
Another hint?
"What is the reality behind the illusion?"
This, too, sounds a bit like a hint... But what's the illusion and what's the reality? The voting? The FoS:es?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (isolation #5) » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm

This time, on Mod Watch™:
"Commencing nullification of data-link. Repairs ordered to relay zero zero zero zero."
First half of this seems to be a quote from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (just watched that recently, btw. It's pretty messed up. I like it. ^^). The second half doesn't match TMoHS though; but it almost matches another Battlestar quote.
"Close the world. Enter the next."
This is from Serial Experiments Lain. Definitely a "screwed up animes" theme going here.
"It's best not to think about it too much, really. Just roll the ball already."

This might be connected to Katamari Damacy; I found a similar quote on tvtropes.org referencing Katamari Damacy, but I don't know if it's in the game. The quote makes me think of roulette.

Also, the quote in votecount number five (
"So long as one soul exists, it will be eternal proof that Mankind once existed"
) might be from Neon Genesis Evangelion as well. I suspect it might depend on how you translate it (the quote I saw was about people rather than souls).

Mod Watch™ is presented by Cavebear - keeping just about infinite loads of details from various anime handy so he can keep you informed on this stuff (ok, fine, Google was useful too) since 2008!

It's slightly worrying (or at least weird) that Korts could vote Battle Mage and Battousai could vote Tarhalindur but MafiaSSK can't vote Tar. MafiaSSK, can you vote Battle Mage?
Battousai wrote:I don't think I'm allowed to tell you the rule, as it's a special ability my role has, I think.
Why'd you say that and then tell us anyway?

Regarding Korts: there are some oddities in Korts' posts thus far. First of all, he's got a rule infraction. Then there's the thing with the parentheses; asking if people have them, FoS:ing MafiaSSK for not having them, and having role information that everyone have them?
Korts wrote:I pretty much know from role information that everyone has these parentheses. Thus the FoS on MafiaSSK, too.
What's "pretty much know"? Do you know this or do you assume it? How sure are you?
Korts wrote:I am pretty confident if the mod gets the majority votes, someone else will die for him.
Same question here; do you know this? Do you base it on anything?
Korts wrote:Hey, what if we lynched Battle Mage? I wonder.
You were pretty confident about what would happen if we lynched the mod, why not now?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (isolation #6) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Odd, I must've somehow looked at the wrong count when I thought MafiaSSK's FoS didn't count earlier. Oh well, disregard that, then.

Mod Watch™
"You must be mad, or you wouldn't have come here!"
- Cheshire cat,
Alice in Wonderland
"I am NOT a number!"
Seems to indeed be from
The Prisoner
"Smith will suffice."
- Agent Smith,
The Matrix
"Help, help! I'm trapped in the game!"
Couldn't find this on the interwebs. I thought it might've been from
Jumanji
, but it's not a direct quote from the movie. Might be worth keeping track of which references are direct quotes and which aren't.

Korts wrote:"Pretty much know" means about 80-90% sure. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it's more than safe to assume.
Well, I disagree, because I don't think it's a good idea to lynch based on what you can assume about other people's role pm's, but I won't stop you from placing higher value in it.
With this setup, I'm not 100% confident in anything. YES I base this idea on something, NO I don't feel like telling you what it is I base it on.
Fair enough. Could you answer this though; do you have an in-game reason, or is it strictly meta? I don't expect you to provide the specific reason if it's in-game.
Because in BM's case, I just chose a scummer at random out of those not involved in this game.
Ok.

iamausername wrote:
MafiaSSK wrote:Yes [we should try lynching the mod]. Since town usually doesn't lycnh scum on the first day.
Do not like this.
FoS: MafiaSSK
iamausername wrote:For the reason I FoSed him in this post - What he said there was basically akin to suggesting that we should vote No Lynch today because quote "town usually doesn't lycnh scum on the first day", which I'm sure we can all agree is a terrible strategy.
But he didn't actually suggest a no lynch, he suggested lynching the mod. Which, according to Korts (if I understand him correctly) is more like a random lynch. Which is even worse.

MafiaSSK, despite Korts confirmation that he's got a reason for saying that lynching the mod will lead to someone else dying instead of him, you have neither retracted your position on this nor unvoted Tarhalindur. Care to clarify your stand? For that matter, do you think Korts is right/wrong?
remusshadow wrote: as in a game where the mod is lynchable, then we would be getting something out of the lynch, though I do admit that it would be something useful to the town in all likelihood.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, are you saying that you think lynching the mod would be useful to the town?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #154 (isolation #7) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:44 am

Mod Watch™
"And if you didn't know that that black holes evaporate due to virtual particles... well, now you do."
Information on astrophysics and quantum theories and stuff. Not my field of expertise, but the quote seems to be accurate. Doesn't seem to be a quote from anywhere.

Korts wrote:In-game, definitely. I'm not sure how you imagine meta reasoning for the mod's lynch causing someone else's death.
I thought this would be the case, but I just wanted to clarify it. Assumptions are dangerous things.
Nonono. Not random. A specific player, if I'm right.
Oh. Hmm. Still, from my point of view that's similar to random.
Jenter Brolincani wrote:Is it just me, or might to words 'Nuclear Launch Detected' indicate a deadline?
With that in mind, the previous such comment suddenly gets a whole new meaning:
The Tenth Vote Count (aka the "...Three Fries Short of a Happy Meal... WACKO!" Vote Count)
Three is the magic number? Three (two, now) more votecounts?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (isolation #8) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 am

Mod Watch™
"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that."
It's HAL, the screwed-up computer from
. You probably knew that.

Macavenger wrote:
Jenter Brolincani wrote:Is it just me, or might to words 'Nuclear Launch Detected' indicate a deadline?
In keeping with the rest of the mod's flavor this game, I'd consider it a Starcraft reference. I wouldn't consider it to have any lesser or greater meaning than any of the Matrix or what have you references that have been all over the place.
The difference, seemingly, is that the quotes I've been quoting is what he's said in italics above the vote count. My bad maybe, but the "aka the xxxxx votecount"-quotes haven't been as interesting. At least they weren't at first. A list:
Vote count aka:s
The Zeroth Vote Count (aka the "This is Your Mind on Mind Screw Mafia" Vote Count):
The First Vote Count (aka the "ZOMG Game On!" Vote Count):
The Second Vote Count (aka the "Hmm..." Vote Count):
The Third Vote Count (aka the "What is Happening?" Vote Count):
The Fourth Vote Count (aka the "Keep the Game Moving" Vote Count):
The Fifth Vote Count (aka the "So... Many... Vote Counts!" Vote Count):
The Fifth Vote Count (aka the "Bastard Mod?" Vote Count):
The Sixth Vote Count (aka the "HELLZ YEAH!" Vote Count):
The Sixth Vote Count (aka the "This May Not Be Random After All" Vote Count):
The Seventh Vote Count (aka the "I Love It When a Plan Comes Together" Vote Count):
The Seventh Vote Count (aka the "Wait, Isn't That an Obvious A-Team Remix?" Vote Count):
The Eighth Vote Count (aka the "Did You Say Anything That Would Require Security Clearance?" Vote Count):
The Eighth Vote Count (aka the "Lose It. It Means, Go Crazy... Nuts..." Vote Count):
The Ninth Vote Count (aka the "... Insane... Bonzo... No Longer In Possession of One's Faculties..." Vote Count):
The Tenth Vote Count (aka the "...Three Fries Short of a Happy Meal... WACKO!" Vote Count):
The Eleventh Vote Count (aka the "NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED" Vote Count):
The Eleventh Vote Count (aka the "Okay, Now Where Are the Scum?" Vote Count):

Comments: So we've actually had 17 vote counts, even though we are on number eleven. If there's a pattern for when the official number of the votecount is changed, I don't see it. It doesn't seem to be related to IRL time, at least, and the number of posts in between varies from two to sixteen over the first pages (didn't seem worth it to continue checking after that.)
Some of these quotes are possibly hints and quotes from places (agree about the Starcraft reference for instance), others are seemingly just, well, comments on the game state.

Also, he posts new vote counts even if nobody changes their votes (see for example posts 115-121), so we can't delay this by not changing votes. Possibly by not posting (it'd be interesting to see what happens if we all decide to lurk for a day or two, but I don't think I can recommend that in case the deadline really is approaching; plus, it wouldn't actually do much good, except possibly give people more time to read).

Trying to link the quotes to roles might be useful, but in a setup like this, I wouldn't lynch anyone on it.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (isolation #9) » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:00 am

Mod Watch™
"Lose it. It means, go crazy... nuts... insane... bonzo... no longer in possession of one's faculties... three fries short of a Happy Meal... WACKO!"
Evidently from
Stargate
We're in the Pegasus Galaxy. How much farther out can you get?
Apparently also
Stargate
"Captain, if I were you, I'd quit while I was ahead. Back on Minbar, there was a saying among the other Rangers: 'The only way to get a straight answer out of Ranger One was to look at every reply in a mirror while hanging upside down from the ceiling.'"
this would be
Babylon 5
A nuclear launch. A shot in the dark.

Two projectiles converge on their mark.

A change of world. A blinding flash.

And Jenter Brolincani is brought unto ash.
"A shot in the dark" = mafia, "A nuclear launch" = SK/(other anti-town group with NK ability)? (Reminds me of the "Nuclear launch detected" quote earlier.) Mafia traditionally uses guns, and "Two projectiles converge on their mark" heavily suggests two separate kills to me.

I agree with Macavenger that the attempted murder of Yosarian2 makes him look more town. Unless of course he's the SK and knew of the redirection rule. For now, I'll work with the theory that requires the least complications (Occam's razor; Yosarian2 was targeted because someone wanted him dead). Occam's razor might not work very well in this particular game, but it'll do for now.

It would seem apparent that Jenter's mafia group tried to kill him without knowing the redirection rule, though. At least until there's reason to think there's a redirector somewhere.

Rule 29 is interesting. I don't have any reason to doubt iamausername for now (no reason to trust him either, mind you, apart from that it would be silly for him to fake that). I'm guessing there's either someone who can activate new rules, or that there are certain things in the game that leads to new rules being activated.

I'm against a mass name claim. I agree with iamausername's points, and I don't see what good it would make. I don't see myself voting anyone simply because of their name anyway, especially not in a setup like this.
Tarhalindur wrote:The Twentieth Vote Count (aka the "Less Talking, More Voting, or Fail the Deadline Review" Vote Count)
I think we should vote more. Not necessarily lynch anyone, but vote.
Vote: MafiaSSK
(Battousai). This is a "It's apparently good to vote, so I'm voting you. Why are you so anxious to get everyone to mass claim, anyway?" vote.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Mod Watch™
This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
- Arthur Dent,
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
...and you seemed like an honest man...
Don't know.
Only an idiot amateur would go out now!
Don't know this either.
Follow the white rabbit.
The Matrix
. Also,
Alice in Wonderland
I will take the ring, though I know not the way.
- Frodo,
The Lord of the Rings

Jex wrote:I'm not claiming a power role at all. I simply asked if anything happened because I have no idea what my role does. At this point I have no idea if the action was caused by me or someone else and I don't want anyone to say if they targeted him because i don't want to out anyone. My role is the most confusing thing I've ever read in a game of mafia and I'm trying to start making sense of it if I can.
Macavenger wrote:Interesting, I didn't have any problem understanding my role. I wasn't under the impression that the roles were particularly confusing, rather the rest of the game; did I just get lucky there?
My role is not particularly confusing. I'm intrigued (and a bit alarmed) by Jex's mini-claim... I could imagine all kinds of interesting (and dangerous) stuff in a setup like this.

Nocmen: What was that about a trip?
Battousai wrote:Last game I was in with MafiaSSK, he was very quite and not contributing to the point of lurking. Upon being fronted with this he came up with the Lurk Strategy in which protown players don't bring attention to lurkers until close to deadline and scum bring them out early as they are easy lynches/ distractionary. He was killed and he was scum. If he's trying the same strategy, I think there is an equal chance of him being scum.
I unfortunately don't have time to read someone's meta right now (unless maybe if it's a very short game... was it?) or I'd ask for a link to that game. Nevertheless, MafiaSSK is obviously lurking in plain sight, and I don't have a problem with adding a pressure vote.

Unvote, vote: Jex
(MafiaSSK)

Note: Starting this Friday (IE tomorrow) I'll be out of town with limited access until Monday the 21:st. Should be able to check in (and definitely will before the deadline) but not sure how often.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #321 (isolation #11) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:10 am

I've got some spare time here and net access, so I'm checking in. (Still out of town though.) Also, welcome, Grimmy!

Mod Watch™
"Escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it, and you with it."
- Number 6,
The Prisoner
. Note: This was before MSSK claimed.
"Rise, and measure the Temple of the Five."
The Temple of Five is from
Battlestar Galactica
"So, instead of killing them all he goes and turns everyone into Tang? That doesn't make sense."
As far as I can tell, this is a comment (not a quote) about a scene from
Neon Genesis Evangelion
"Oh, but I
am
that perverted."
This I don't know.
"Espers, aliens, time travelers... okay, where's the slider and what is he up to?"
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
. This also seems to be a comment about the show, not a quote from it.

And, since Tar made a point of pointing it out...
  • The Twenty-Fourth Vote Count (aka the "Hey, Aren't Some of These Vote Count Names References Too?" Vote Count)
    The Twenty-Fifth Vote Count (aka the "Hot Springs Episode?" Vote Count)
    The Twenty-Sixth Vote Count (aka the "I See Encouraging Signs of an Actual Mafia Game" Vote Count)
    The Twenty-Seventh Vote Count (aka the "How Are You Gentlemen. All Your Base Are Belong To Us." Vote Count)
    The Twenty-Eighth Vote Count (aka the "Lucky?" Vote Count)
25 could be pretty much any number of anime shows, 27 refers to the (in)famous game Zero Wing (somebody set us up the bomb!).

Okay then. MafiaSSK's claim is clumsy, so to speak. The forgetting of things, the claimed willingness to hunt scum but not actually doing so... I don't really know about the role name (more than a quick check on wikipedia), but it doesn't really seem to fit, no. MSSK, could you provide some fluff reason why you should be able to revive anyone? Paraphrased, of course, no quoting the PM. Also, if he's going to be able to prove himself, he can't just wait for a doc to die. There might not even be one. If he's willing to do this (and actually start hunting some scum, not just saying he's willing), I see no reason to not give him a chance to prove himself. The role IS provable, even if we might have to wait a day longer (and if there's no-one town-aligned to revive, we're winning anyway).
Mod Watch wrote:
"Escape, come back,
wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it
, and you with it."
- Number 6,
The Prisoner
. Note: This was before MSSK claimed.
Tarhalindur wrote:
A nuclear launch.
A shot in the dark.

Two projectiles converge on their mark.

A change of world. A blinding flash.

And Jenter Brolincani is brought unto ash.
My bolding. I think I said I'm not going to lynch anyone based on rolename, and I'm not, but this is mildly unsettling and seemed noteworthy.

Unvote, vote Jex (MafiaSSK)
. Unless MafiaSSK agrees to the above (willingness to revive any pro-town player, justifying his ability (if possible, but it should be) and writes something more useful), this is probably the best place for my vote right now.

It's a bit peculiar that we're still able to vote Tar after Korts (playing Tar) was removed, but since we apparently can vote just about anyone (or at least we could vote Battle Mage earlier), trying to lynch Tar might not do very much anymore.
Battousai wrote:FOS: Cavebear I thought FOS's didn't fall under the same category as the vote count ( I FoS'd Jex earlier and MafiaSSK recieved a FoS I think)
I think you're right about your FoS on Jex not working, but you're now definitely FoS:ing me. Also, FoS:ing worked when I tried it day one.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #394 (isolation #12) » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:00 am

The schadenfreude-loving part of me thinks that lynching Yos2 just to see him fail would be pretty funny, but it would be pretty stupid at this point, really. There's no reason (that I can think of) to lynch him instead of someone scummy when he's this close to being confirmed survivor. Not to mention that if iamausername really is a lyncher, that schadenfreude-loving part of me will be satisfied with that. Not that I'm convinced he is, mind you. Speaking of which; remussaidow, do you think iamusername is scum or a lyncher?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #397 (isolation #13) » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:39 am

Battousai wrote:Cavebear, what are you leaning towards concerning iamausername? Scum, lyncher, or protown?
Well, what complicates thing is his claimed secret rule-detecting ability. I don't have any reason to disbelieve that. However, a lyncher having that ability doesn't really make sense to me, so I don't really think he's a lyncher. (If this was a normal game, I'd be pretty much convinced; as it is, I'm not willing to entirely write it off (having a lyncher and a survivor in a bastardmodly game seems like an appealing idea.))
As for scum or pro-town, I don't know. I'll just say that I don't consider lynching Yos2 a pro-town action at this point.
Battousai wrote:Ok, if iamausername's win condition is to kill Yos, and Yos is to survive to day 3, then that means 2* of the 5 other players are scum.... I'm going to do a reread of a few players and post what I find.
I'm not sure I understood this. 2*?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #450 (isolation #14) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Picking up the prod (sorry).
Grimmy wrote:My vote is not on you. It is on Iam. he is playing very anti-town with the OMGUS vote and the WIFOM arguements. So it is not a wasted lynch to get rid of someone who is not helping the town.
So are you voting him because you think he's scum, or because he's not helping the town?
remussaidow wrote:Since this is the scummiest that's happen so far today, its what my vote is based on for now.
You say it's "the scummiest", but how scummy do you actually think it is? On a scale from "not very scummy at all" to "extremely scummy", say?
Jex wrote:I don't think that IAM is a lyncher type role [...] but I don't think lynching him today will do any good since we don't know yet if yos is telling the truth or not.
Let's pretend it's tomorrow. Yos2 is gone (having won) and iamausername is still here. For simplicity's sake, let's say nobody was lynched and nobody killed at night, so everybody else is still around. What do you think of iamausername?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #462 (isolation #15) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27 am

And while yes, anti town does not mean scum, it does mean- drumroll please- (*drum roll*)- ANTI FRIGGEN TOWN. That means that they want the town to lose.
There's a difference between anti-town acts and anti-town alignment. Anyone can, intentionally or not, do something stupid and/or anti-town. I know I have; I'd be surprised if there's someone who's never acted a bit too rash or without grasping the whole picture.
remussaidow wrote: For all we know we could have a cult on our hands- which, if we had one whose recruiter wasn't roleblocked, we're at lynch or lose soon.
I actually strongly dislike this statement. There's nothing to suggest cults (that I've seen anyway) and it serves little purpose but to stress us into possibly making hasty decisions about lynching. In short, it's anti-town.
remussaidow wrote:Also, on the off chance that Iam flip town (scale of 1-10, 1 being town and scum (read anti-town faction) being 10, I put him at an 8 for the argument that I've been saying all "day") My first suspect will be Grimmy, and I would expect myself to be up on the lists of many of you.
Because you think he didn't have knowledge of the standard win condition you think he's scummy to the value of 8 on a scale from 1 to 10? The same win condition he was building his "lynch Yos2!" case on? The one Yos2, who apparently DOESN'T have that same win condition, referred to (implicating that non-town faction have access to or at the very least can figure out the town win condition - not that figuring out the town win condition usually is very hard)? That's a huge reach. I also don't like how you tried to set up the next lynch target for tomorrow "in case you're wrong". Not to mention that you seem very confident that you'll actually be here tomorrow.
Battousai wrote:On another note, if no one changes their minds, then it appears Cavebear gets to decide between Iam and grimmy. I would really like jex to answer Cavebear's questions so we can get more from Cavebear on who he thinks is most likely scum.
I'm not particularily thrilled by the idea of choosing between those two right now. The one person I think is most likely to be scum/is acting scummiest at this point is remussaidow. Thus:
Vote: remussaidow
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #467 (isolation #16) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm

remussaidow wrote:and if you note, I also peg myself as a likely target. Yes, I fully expect myself to be alive tomorrow IF IAM DIES, as that is the condition for the target naming. All I said was that if I'm wrong myself and Grimmy are looking incredibly scummy. Its a simple, true statement.
Grimmy is looking reasonably scummy, sure. However, a) you're not voting Grimmy, you're voting iamausername (despite you apparently thinking Grimmy is looking "incredibly scummy"... but ok, this is the hypothetical case where we lynch iam and he's not scum, correct?) and b) it's not the truthiness of the statement that really matters in this case, it's the fact that you're setting up a chain lynch. What you're essentially saying is that if you're wrong, we should lynch Grimmy, not you.
And no, its not just because I feel that he misunderstood/ misinterpreted the town's win condition. It's because he pushed for a lynch that should never have come up until tomorrow. And its also because he fought against my solitary vote as though it were the one putting him at lynch -one. If it were me being accused in that situation, as town I wouldn't mind the one or two votes based off of this apparent evidence. Its the fact that he tried to fight, continuously, the same point, when it had to be obvious that I wasn't changing MY opinion on the matter, that my vote stays upon him firmly.
Well, he did abandon that Yos2-wagon pretty quickly. So it's his over-eager defense of himself that you find anti-town?
Also, cavebear, great job on cutting up my statement so you only show the part that you want everyone else to read. I proposed a hypothetical situation of an anti-town faction that was not scum aligned either. You repeated it, in quotes, yet ignored the point where I called it hypothetical.
This doesn't really change the fact that the statement even as a whole was anti-town. Speculating can be fun, but it didn't accomplish anything except instill a feeling of stress that we might be at LYLO any second. Still, if you feel yourself treated unfairly or misquoted, I apologize. I loathe being misquoted myself. I usually quote what I feel is the relevant part of posts (instead of eg bolding), assuming that people read everything and can go back to check the surrounding text, but maybe I cut a bit carelessly.
Nocmen wrote:Cavebear, you do realize that voting for remus doesn't actually vote for remus, right?
D'oh. Thanks.
Unvote, vote: iamausername
(->remus)
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #491 (isolation #17) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 am

Grimmy wrote:Part 3: some questions

Cavebear and Bat.

Besides leaving my vote on Iam, (reason I will repeat in a minute), what else makes you think I am scum?
First of all, let me say something about my view on iam. The case on iam isn't invalid; the trying-to-get-Yos2-lynched thing could very well be an attempt to get him lynched for different reasons than the one stated. The problem is that I think it would be a wasted lynch for scum as well as town, leaving the possibilities of iam being either a lyncher or paranoid town (or paranoid scum, I suppose). Well, I doubt he's a lyncher, as I've already said (yes, it's mind screw mafia, it's a possibility and I'm not ruling it out). That leaves the paranoia reason, and in that case, I'm inclined to think "town". That's my take on iam right now.

Now then, what makes me think you're looking scummy? (Just for the record, there's a difference between saying "X is looking reasonably scummy" and "I think X is scum". Don't put words in my mouth etc.)
Let me start off by saying that voting someone because you think they've acted the scummiest today is a perfectly valid reason for voting. The problem is that it's not as good when it comes to convincing people to voting, as it pretty much by definition relies on people's opinions about what's scummy. Whereas iam has been acting somewhat scummy, I actually think that being on his wagon for what I consider to be not very good reasons is scummier.

Anyway, I'd rather lynch remussaidow.
IN retrospect, it seems now to be more of a slip up that he was hoping nobody would call him on, more so than just not trusting a lyncher. And it wouldnt surprise me that is he IS a lyncher, and doesnt lynch YOS, then he will get something more harmful to the town (activated vig or something along those lines)
I did a quick search on games with lynchers (seems they're pretty rare) and couldn't find a single useful role PM, so I have no idea what would happen if a lyncher's target is someone with an independent win condition who wins in the middle of the game. I'm not sure if it's happened before. Logically, he'd probably lose. Failing that, I'd guess the same thing would happen as if the lynchee was NK:ed; standard procedure for that seems to be to revert to townie. Anyway, it's pretty dangerous to base anything on role speculation in a game like this, so I prefer not to. In other words, I don't consider the risk of iam being a lyncher who transforms into SK (vig would be harmful?) to be significant enough to warrant lynching him.
Yosarian2 wrote:If you guys want me to hammer someone, let me know; I don't really care
remussaidow wrote:we figured that out already yos- you, as the survivor, have it in your best interests to hammer anyone at all.
For information purposes, I'd prefer it if someone else than Yosarian2 did the hammering... But yeah, a Yosarian2 hammer is better than no hammer at all.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #532 (isolation #18) » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Peculiar.
Tar wrote:Rule 30 Removed.
I assume this is what caused this, meaning the next lynch should work as intended. I wonder when, and why, and how, this rule came into existance; if it's been there all along or if it was the rule that was apparently introduced at the beginning of the day.
iamausername wrote:Let's try lynching Grimmy first, and if that doesn't work either, we'll think about it.
Why not try the person we've already (tried to) lynch/ed once first? Now, if it doesn't work this time either (with the mysterious rule 30 removed), we can talk.

Vote: iamausername
(-> remus). Remus is still my preferred lynch for the day. He's basically claiming unnightkillable townie, which, while it would be great if it was confirmable, isn't confirmable. AFAIK.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #552 (isolation #19) » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 am

iamausername wrote:Wait, I should pay more attention. Rule 22! Woah, that seems too good to be true.
Rule 22 DOES seem pretty good. :D So, if we lynch someone today, we either win (25% chance) or get a confirmed innocent (75% chance). We're then in a position where we have a 33% chance of getting the scum, with the added benefit that because there are four of us, there's no chance for the scum to quickhammer. In other words, two people have to vote for the wrong person rather than just one. Which is a good thing.

So... do we mass claim before or after we lynch/investigate?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #559 (isolation #20) » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 am

One way I like for deciding order for mass claims is to simply let the person who claims decide who claims next. I'd prefer iamausername to go first.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #567 (isolation #21) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:11 am

Ok, I've given this some thought, and we're in a very good position, albeit with a small chance of screwing it up. It's pretty much confirmed at this point that iamausername is a busdriver (with Battousai waking up in the wrong bed), so Battousai is confirmed innocent regardless of his claim (or rather, there's no scenario I can think of where Battousai is scum and iamausername isn't. Also not counting some very weird scenario where he would in fact try to kill himself as scum).

I'm Deep Thought. AFAIK there's no normal name for my role, so I'll just describe it: Each night, I get to send in a list of names (half the players remaining in the game, rounded down). I can consider the scum factor, and if it's significantly high (ie if there are two or more scum in the list), I become aware of this.

So night one I just sent in the top half of the players (Yosarian2, Jenter Brolincani, Musher333/Grimmy, iamausername & remussaidow). This DID trigger the alarm, meaning two or more of them were scum. Jenter apparently killed himself, and Yos2 looked pretty much confirmed, so one or two of Grimmy, iam and remus were certain to be scum.

Night two I checked Yos2 (confirmed-ish innocent), Grimmy (possibly scum) and the three unknowns that seemed scummiest to me: MafiaSSK, Nocmen & Jex. This didn't compute (ie didn't trigger the scum alert), which (when mssk got himself killed) meant that Grimmy was innocent (along with Nocmen & Jex). There's room for some confusion as for when exactly mssk turned scum, but I figured it was probably early enough for him to count as scum. FWIW, this is why I didn't want to lynch Grimmy.

Night three wasn't very interesting; If I'd find two scum, we'd all pretty much be dead. Anyway, I checked remus and iamausername, with no result, meaning they're at least not both scum.

In any case, day one is what's important. iamausername or remussaidow has to be scum, since all the others I checked that day are dead or gone.

Battousai, who are you?
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #572 (isolation #22) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:38 am

Umm. Just to point this out; at this point, both me and iam have basically "confirmed" battousai, meaning all the rest of us are essentially convinced that one of the others are guilty. Battousai; If you think I'm one of the two most likely to be guilty, you should check me, but from your PoV it makes no difference who to lynch; one person is confirmed which leaves two people.

From MY PoV, I'd rather lynch anyone but me (and not Battousai) so we can be sure to win today instead of just have a 50% chance of doing so. Remus at this point "knows" me or iamausername is scum (since both me and iam have proclaimed batt is confirmed); iam "knows" that me or remus is scum; I know that iam or remus is scum.

Investigating me doesn't provide any more info than anyone else.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #574 (isolation #23) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am

Battousai wrote:I don't know, it was in the original role pm. I'm just guessing it refered to Korts.

Cavebear, if we lynch/investigate remscum/iamscum we will get their role and not their alignment. Chances are scum do have special abilities as well and they could have told us the truth about their role, just not their win condition. If we go with you, your role CAN'T be a scum role so if you lied we caught you and if you didn't it confirms rem/iam as possible scum.
What? Rule 22 pretty clearly states we get alignment, not role.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #576 (isolation #24) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Oh. I missed that remus voted me.

Darn it.

Ah, man, and I'd planned it so good, too, before that bus drive wrecked me. :/ Well played, guys. More details later.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #607 (isolation #25) » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm really impressed by the amount of work Tar put into this, including things like the vote count quotes. Very nice. I really wonder how this had worked out if the rules had been hidden for longer; the Haruhi rules might've really messed things up then. :)

I was pretty much planning on claiming jailkeeper the whole game, and hopefully get Nocmen lynched the last day. Of course, with Nocmen dying instead of Battousai, and iamausername prepared to vouch for Battousai, and two lynches to avoid instead of one, that didn't really work out. I couldn't, as I'd planned, (truthfully) claim to have blocked remus, as that would pretty much mean there was no way he was guilty and me innocent. I could've claimed to have blocked Nocmen (-> Battousai), but if Battousai had any kind of ability, he'd know I was lying... So I resorted to claiming a role I've been thinking about including in some future themed game. Stressed as I was, I even forgot that Jenter was a Godfather, so me registering him as scum would look more than a little suspicious. In the end, it was all moot. Oh well.

The Mod Watch thing I originally just did to hide a crumb for jailkeeper. It's in the first mod watch post if anyone wants to look for it.

Oh, and Macavenger: Sorry. Consider it a compliment: You looked like too dangerous a person to keep alive. :)
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #610 (isolation #26) » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 am

Remus:
Well, I had Ender Wiggin as a safe claim, and although it didn't fit all that good with a Jailkeeping ability, it's not that far fetched either. I mean, you can motivate pretty much anything if you try, and it's always dangerous to make assumptions about what role name "should" or "shouldn't" be able to this or that. I really liked the Rey Ayanami thing though; her being replacable REALLY fits. :) Anyway, Ender is the main protagonist character in a setting that Tar referred to; that's not bad, as far as innocent-looking goes. Kyon would arguably be a better Jailkeeper (as his thing is to keep Haruhi occupied), but with Haruhi already in the game and confirmed townie, I didn't want to risk anything.

And yeah, jailkeeper is combined roleblocker and supercharged doctor (IE it blocks not only incoming kills but any targeted action.)
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #612 (isolation #27) » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 am

Tarhalindur wrote:Actually, the ordinary Jailkeeper only blocks kills (that's why both of your falseclaim PMs used the "prevent all kills and roleblock" structure). The role you received was a supercharged Jailkeeper.
Oh. I'd only seen jailkeeper in one other game, where it worked same as here.

Also see this topic from a few months back. You even posted there, Tar. :)

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”