Challenge Discussion Thread

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:42 am

Post by Cephrir »

I try to make as many pre-merge challenges involve teamwork or collaborating in some way as possible. They're like team-building exercises, and it's just more fun than the "best average time" type. Besides, you'll have plenty of those player-vs.-challenge things postmerge. If I have a limited number of actual teamwork type challenges I tend to want to have one right after each swap.

I have a tremendous dislike for social and diplomacy challenges for individual immunity. If you want to have those, I feel they should be reward challenges so that you can get the whole "hierarchy revealing thing" without presenting the problem where players who actually need immunity have no chance of winning at which point you might as well have not bothered having a challenge at all.

I think new challenges or twists on old challenges are good to have as many of as you can, especially since some of the classics are kind of so-so on entertainment value anyway. I get that mods are not unlimited wells of creativity though, and ~18 original challenge designs can be a lot.

It's certainly true that there is a backwards relationship between the amount of time mods have to spend designing challenges and how much players care about them, but I don't have an answer for that. I do think players will enjoy the game more if the challenges are good, even if it's not a 1:1 mod effort to enjoyment ratio.
In post 11, Snakes wrote:Can we get rid of the challenge where you have to pick numbers on a pyramid and every time someone always says they'll do 1 for every level?
I wouldn't use it, so yes!
In post 15, Skelda wrote:
In post 10, VashtaNeurotic wrote: To be fair, I also don't see the problem with a jigsaw aside from the fact that jigsaws are a little basic as a challenge and should probably have another twist to be memorable. But like all the show's challenge at least have the time are just do this obstacle course and then do a puzzle, and I don't think the contestants spend a lot balancing balls on plates outside of that immunity comp. So I feel this might just be something that's hard to do.
Also like, what's the MS equivalent of firemaking, a skill which everyone on the show should have if they've made it that close to the end.
There should be a challenge about responding to as many wall PMs as you can as quickly as possible hahahahahahahaha
This is a joke but I actually unironically like it.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”