Song Contest 199 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm

Post by BS2000 »

/in with as flawless of an indie song as I've ever heard
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (isolation #1) » Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am

Post by BS2000 »

Spoiler: how I voted
1st: Sonido Gallo Negro-Bocanegra
I had a feeling I would enjoy this just based on pic/band/song title alone, and I was not wrong. This is wonderful. I can see from the sidebar (which shame on me for being distracted by that annoying sidebar I try to remember to put on theater mode or whatever) that they have a set on KEXP and I need to save that to my watch later for sure. These are the kinds of songs I wish I could live inside.

2nd: Dodie-Ready Now
Mmmmmmmm.....Hmmmmmmm.... Oh a very gentle and loudly quiet voice. Wasn't expecting that and I really like this.

3rd: As Cities Burn-Pirate Blues
This guy's voice is very angsty, but the music doesn't reflect that surprisingly. Oh wait is this sailor/mariner/seafarer music? There's always one sea shanty or whatever song in these contests and I was fooled at first. This isn't bad, maybe a lazy comparison but parts of this kinda reminds me of like Blue Album era Weezer. Oh and now it gets rockin' Wow this is really good actually.

4th: Kelela-Raven
I think I tried this album earlier in the year, and it didn't quite stick with me. Enjoying the minimal synth happening. Then the last minute the drums come in and it's really good. Maybe should give this album another try. And then a humorously abrupt end which probably works with the next song

5th: Yoasobi-Idol
This is kinda fun and slightly different for the genre. Seems like there are a lot of
hooks happening throughout. Smetimes I wish songs like these didn't have a repeating chorus. Always feels like the least interesting part to me.

6th: Kansas-Dust in the Wind
Ahh a classic. I actually really enjoy listening to common songs in this context. I think honestly what makes this song is the violin part. And I don't think I ever noticed the little bits of percussion at the end before.

7th: Manchester Orchestra-Angel of Death
One of those bands that I've seen mentioned a thousand times but have never properly tried out. For some reason I thought they were more like post-rock, this is surprisingly straight-forward. Not bad.

8th: Cigarbox Man-Hollywood
Was kinda feeling this song until the whoa-oh-oh-ohs tbh. It's got a nice vibe to it despite being unremarkable.

9th: Cub Sport-Come On Mess Me Up
This was ok. Probably something that rewards multiple listens

10th: Hortus Animae-Bible Black
uurrrrrrrrr......grrrrrrrr.....yerrrrrrrr....I always write the same things with most of the metal songs submitted. Not my bag but I can respect it. This song has some midi synthy orchestral sounds in it. And the guitars are...thrashy? I do love the wild sub-genre horticulture that metal has, matched only by electronic music. Oooh some violin or somesuch, that's a fun touch. My favorite part is still the huuurrrrrr......werrrrrrr parts.

11th: Joulez-Lon La bul
Ooh a pretty fast tempo after that lil intro. Very dramatic. I cannot hear that blunt heartbeat sounding bass drum pounding and not think of DDR, and I apologize for that. Otherwise this sadly didn't do much for me.

12th: Tom Odell-Heal
Lots of gentle songs this round. I think I prefer gal singers doing gentle ballads then dudes.

13th: RedHook-Soju
Yeah I think I'm like 20 years too old for this. I do like the sax solo tho.
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad

Return to “General Discussion”