Song Contest 201 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:53 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Donion rings
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:00 am

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 24, Aristophanes wrote:
Spoiler:
Chile: Miranda! - Mentía
This was a fun song! I didn't get all of it, but it was nice to dust off my Spanish vocabulary again.

Classic pop setup of him longing for a girl he can't have, though the video implies cheating which I may have gotten with a bit more language knowledge.

This was a nice, fun, easy to listen to song that I could see being in my playlists.
Spoiler:
You’re not that far. He’s singing to his ex, that’s the video theme too, he’s like stalking her. “Hey bad idea going to the same place where I was with him. I know it’s over but this isn’t finished, if I see you both again I’ll kill you. Not literally of course, but I’d love too. As you can see I’m a little jealous”, etc etc
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #27 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:58 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Spoiler: I agree, but it's a good exercise!

Sweden

Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Age of Vulture Culture

At some moments it sounded like they had a 16-bit limitation rather than being an orchestra (they are an orchestra right?), but I liked the cumbia/ska mix! It's weird, I really liked a bunch of elements on their own, but not that much mixed together.
Score: 6.5 out of 10
Paraguay

Inchiuvatu - Matri Addulurata

Legitimately scared.
Score: 1 out of 10
Mali

Foals - Inhaler

I thought it was pretty boring until the chorus, loved the guitar of that section in particular. And the ending! I think that the thing that bored me was the lead singer now that I think of it.
Score: 5.5 out of 10
Scythia

October Project - Bury My Lovely

What a captivating voice. I don't know if it's doing something for me, but I like the chord progression, very creative.
Score: 6 out of 10
Chile

Miranda! - Mentía

Not a big fan of pop music myself, but I always loved what this fellas did back in the 00's 'cause they went against everything in a very rock influenced country like Argentina. I'm actually bringing them here because they made a bunch of remakes of their older songs in a new album, "Hotel Miranda!", and I highly suggest giving that album a try. They reinvented themselves adequately making collabs with the most trendy latin singers of today, mixing the new generation style with their own. I wanted to bring the new version of "Uno Los Dos" with Emilia Mernes, but that song's lyrics are the best part of it and I know that the language barrier can be a hassle.
Score: Pop out of 10
Kazakhstan

The Callous Daoboys - What Is Delicious? Who Swarms?

I wanted to hate it but I couldn't, the video made a lot for me to let it in. Is this my heavy metal gateway drug?
Score: 4 out of 10
Venezuela

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead

Song Contest: where half the songs submitted start with someone shouting into your ear. Other than that, the instruments' arrangement is quite good, this would have been a great song without all the shouting.
Score: 4.5 out of 10
United Kingdom

David Poore - Springwatch Theme

Nice tune. I liked the melodicity of the two guitars just before the fiddles came in.
Score: 6 out of 10
Belobog

Parius - Dimension Y

Unremarkable for me, maybe because the bass at the begining raised the bar and then didn't deliver. It's a nice a song.
Score: 5.5 out of 10
Galápagos

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

Yeah metal fatigue was exactly what I was feeling before listening to this song. Loved everything about it, the combination between jazz and prog rock here is so well executed thanks to a really talented drummer. This is what I'm here for. The only reason why I'm not going to go listen more of this guy is because I see a Bob Dylan song incoming.
Score: 10 out of 10
Edit: I listened Eliodon, one of his compilation albums, and had to read a little more about this guy 'cause it was so mesmerizing. I now realize that my first impression about him was justified: dude's a musical prodigy.

Peru

Caroline Polachek - Pretty In Possible

I was thinking "I'm really disappointed 'cause she seems to have a good voice and it feels like she's holding herself back" and she IMMEDIATELY went all sopranoy in that 1 minute mark section. It's like Alanis Morisette and Imogen Heap had a baby and she got the best part of their genes mashed together.
Score: 8.5 out of 10
Gibraltar

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

Hello Bob. Just imagine how would it feel to think even for a second "is this about me?" lol this is as good as it gets if we're talking about diss tracks
Score: 9,5 out of 10
Note: I'm not giving this a 10 out of 10 'cause I already knew the song, but assume that it's a 10 out of 10 for me. This song is brutal coming from a lyrical beast like Dylan, and it contrasts so well with his usual poetic writing; this one is as straightforward as it comes, like a furious letter trying to avoid any double interpretation. With these kind of songs, Dylan showcased to everyone that you could write about ANYTHING in your songs, something that influenced many songwriters during that time (cheers to you, Lennon). The only detail I could say about this song is that it's too similar to Like a Rolling Stone, both in structure and musically speaking. Is that a bad thing?

eSwatini

Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep at the Wheel

I appreciate what she tried to accomplish but it's not doing it for me. It's still good, nonetheless
Score: 7 out of 10
Gabon

Khai Dreams - Rats

I don't have much to say about this one. It's not bad, but I don't like it.
Score: 5 out of 10
Polish-Lituanian Commonwealth

Buck-Tick - Die

Soporific, but in a good way. I entered a trance while listening this song and when I "woke up" it felt good.
Score: 8 out of 10

Return to “General Discussion”