Normal Idea Mafia (150/150 roles submitted, discussion thread up)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (isolation #0) » Thu May 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Post by Umlaut »

“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:02 am

Post by Umlaut »

Vanilla Townie

Good necro, I want to play in this when it's done.
Last edited by Umlaut on Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #68 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:09 am

Post by Umlaut »

Mafia Juggernaut Lazy Traitor

In post 5, Morning Tweet wrote:
Informed Townie

You know the identity of a random town protective or investigative power role. If there are no such players, you are instead given the identity of a random town power role. If there are no such players, you are instead given the identity of a random town player. You do not know any specifics about their role or which one of these conditions were met, you know only the player's name.
We should probably figure out what the actual statement is of this information in the role PM. Here's my suggestion, assuming I understood the post correctly.
You are informed that [PLAYER]
  • is allied with the
    Town
    ;
  • has a power role, if the Town has a power role in this game; and
  • has a protective or investigative role, if the Town has a protective or investigative role in this game.

This post has been edited to bring it into line with the latest update to the Normal guidelines, in which the role name "strongman" was changed to "juggernaut." The function of the role is unchanged.
Last edited by Alianna on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:38 am

Post by Umlaut »

Town Night 50 Cop

In post 71, Alianna wrote:
In post 68, Umlaut wrote:
Mafia Lazy Traitor Strongman
Doesn't the lazy here apply to both the traitor and the strongman? If I'm not mistaken, that would result in both the traitor and the strongman roles being disabled when they are the last scum left. Traitor can't perform the factional kill, so the strongman there does nothing. It might need to be Mafia Strongman Lazy Traitor instead.
Oh dang, you're right, will edit
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Werewolf
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:42 am

Post by Umlaut »

Werewolf Non-Consecutive Night Commuter

There is at least one Encryptor in the deck, which opens up the question of whether that role is still Normal in games that already have daytalk even though it doesn't do anything, and of whether Normal Idea games should have auto-daytalk given that it seems to be the
de facto
standard these days.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:05 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Town Jack-of-All-Trades
(Rolecop, Tracker, Weak Hider)

Since the first 100 roles posted were already chosen to make a full game, we could run a version of this game now by restricting to the first 100 using the percentile dice method Cook suggested before. Cook, would you like to run it or let someone else do it? (I will if no one else will, but tbh I'd rather play in it.)

In fact it might not be a bad idea to choose all sets of 100 this same way; then you could run a range-restricted Normal Idea for any set of consecutive posts [100
n
, 100
n
+99], or perhaps any union of those sets.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:26 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Werewolf Loud Babysitter

Spoiler: Response to Alianna, and more normalcy concerns
Agreed that is obviously not normal.

The biggest problem with is that, due to the existence of modular roles, the list of all normal roles is not finite. I'm okay with the idea of a very long explicit finite list of normal roles but it does have to be explicit, particular since what is normal changes over time whereas this deck ought to consist of fixed well-defined roles. (I still think Universal Finder would be a great role, though, were it normal.)

is very confusing in using both Combined and Multitasking, in addition to using Combined with Night-specific roles used on different nights. I don't think there is any single natural way to interpret this, so it probably shouldn't be allowed. The easiest fix is just to nix "Complex" and keep the rest, which is complicated but coherent.

I may be biased here but I think the fact that is in the deck and therefore a known possibility obviates any problem with defying expectations that it might have. I would accept this role in an actual Normal game without blinking.

There are a few posts like where the components seem out of order (should be Mafia Universal Backup, not Universal Backup Mafia), and some like or that have typos or missing components (the latter is presumably Town since it's green, but this must be stated). I'm also mildly concerned about because it's not immediately apparent that 1-Shot only applies to the first part. None of these are things I'm inclined to argue about, though; leaving them alone is probably okay.

In the absence of an official interpretation I'd be inclined to say that, in games with daytalk, Encryptor is a legitimate role that doesn't do anything. This can be "true" even if such a game would never actually be approved by NRG review, since (as with ) the fact that the setup is effectively a Variable Open means this isn't going to confuse anyone.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t

Return to “Mafia Discussion”