Song Contest 202 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aureal
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:19 pm

Post by Aureal »

Yeah well 9.5 out of 10 torches recommend my submission, so nyeh!
"Yeah after a point it felt like Aureal was the only one talking sense despite being a goose so I just followed."
-furtiveglance
Aureal
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:21 pm

Post by Aureal »

Spoiler: Aureal's status for this listen-through: sleepy
Fear Not This Night: Interestingly, though an instrumental of the main chorus can be found at viewpoints in a certain part of Guild Wars 2, the full version of this with lyrics only plays after beating the main questline. It's a reward much better than any in-game loot you get. :mrgreen:

The Wolf You Feed: Okay, wow, this one really stands out. There was a little raspy screaming but it was used as accent, and it works. The energy, the singing, the instrumentation, it was all hitting. It's probably a good thing this was the last one for me to listen to, or I might have literally fallen asleep on some others after the energy high wore off. I was ready to go sleep now until this song, it's exactly the kind of thing I sometimes end up listening to when I should go to bed but don't and end up giving myself a second wind instead and stay up much later listening to music. Maybe this one will join that roster.

Mandible: The linked video wasn't available, but I found what presumably should be the same thing by searching youtube. The growing energy throughout the song really started drawing me in, had me starting to move my lips fake-singing along. It was like going on an little adventure through a fantasy on a nice summer day.

Colour Of Anyhow: I could tell this was an older song from the style and (sadly) the audio quality. But it was a quite pleasant, warm experience.

Rock'n Roll, Morning Light Falls on You: Cool.

Dead To Me: Consistent energy kept this one solid.

Circulatory System: Well, this one was a little different than it seemed at first, without changing entirely. I probably would've gotten more out of it if I understood the lyrics, but most lyrics are mud to me. Felt like the Beatles went to a kindergarten classroom to teach them to sing then they started getting sucked into a cartoon dystopia.

Bring It On Home to Me: I'm starting to think that oldies just generally tend to be more focused on lyrics, and making sure people can understand them, than incredible orchestration. I can respect that.
Numbers: The screaming... actually wasn't that bad here? The music was interesting enough that it sort of worked (although I think actual singing might have worked better).

Fire in the Rain/Heroes: Again, linked video was unavailable and I had to do a youtube search. The Fire in the Rain part wasn't anything of note, but the energy picked up nicely in the second part to be a bit of a toe-tapper (the crowd clearly thought so too).

Real Boy: This is a song about Pinocchio, right? Being able to easily understand the well-enunciated lyrics is a nice change from 99% of songs. Nicely done instrumentation as well, though I would really prefer not having the voice-over clips.

Perfect: There was some music and I think they were singing the same phrase over and over and over for most of the time? Got kinda tuned out.

Werewolf: Okay metal, really didn't need the raspy screaming at the beginning- I still don't get that. The energy got me to bump the volume up a bit early on, after the raspy screamer went away, but I was tuning out by the end.

Drugs & The Internet: The dramatic shift in style a little ways in had me for a while, but the novelty wore off well before the end of the song.

Heavy Heart: Audio quality seemed a little muddy, decent tune for some vaguely upbeat background music but nothing really stood out. I couldn't make out most of the lyrics, and one word I think I did make out made me stop trying.
"Yeah after a point it felt like Aureal was the only one talking sense despite being a goose so I just followed."
-furtiveglance
Aureal
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #2) » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:51 pm

Post by Aureal »

In post 35, ChannelDelibird wrote:
Scythia // Fear Not This Night - Asja Kadric

I feel like I might have enjoyed this more as an instrumental, just because I know that I like Jeremy Soule's instrumental work on other projects. Her voice is impressive more than it does any actual tugging at my soul, but it
is
impressive.

There is an instrumental version! It plays at a key moment in the story shortly before the final battle, priming you for Asja's version as the credits roll afterwards.

In post 37, BS2000 wrote:
asja kadric:
so dramatic is this celine dion? the lyrics really don't seem like something worth highlighting here. what kind of game is guild wars 2? FPS? RTS? This does sound like something you would hear during like an opening cutscene in some dark grey gritty violent game, perhaps in space.

It's a fantasy-ish MMORPG. And it plays during the end credits (for the base game- the night being warned of is yet to come in the first expansion!)
-furtiveglance

Return to “General Discussion”