osuka's votecounter + modtools

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 0, osuka wrote: available at https://github.com/fbastos1/mafiascum-m ... /tree/main pls dont dox me
HE'S FELIPE everybody his name is Felipe

jokes aside, you can process up to 200 posts at once like this, should be much fewer requests to the server
viewtopic.php?t=90886&view=print&ppp=200

how good is the username string matching algorithm you are using btw?
I gave up trying to write my own votecounter because I couldn't find a satisfactory solution without resorting to extensive configs, or venturing to NLP category (despair)

i think the CLI format is pretty user friendly already, but might still pose as a barrier to entry for a lot of non tech-savvy people, one step further u can take is a browser extension so people can install on Chrome/Firefox and it can make modifications to the DOM directly while in the mafiascum.net domain

I think jacksonvirgo was tryna do that, not sure how thats going now tho
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:15 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 30, Psyche wrote: I'm kind of skeptical of fully browser-based solutions like browser extensions because I expect they'd all manage the whole "votes are distributed across pages" thing really awkwardly. I'd love to know if I'm wrong!
It's not awkward at all. You can Fetch any mafiascum.net urls from a browser extension, as long as you are doing it while on a mafiascum webpage.

Edit: yeah, I'm with JacksonVirgo, many advantages of using browser extensions for vote scraping
  • Everyone knows how to add browser extensions -> low barrier to entry
  • Ability to add UI to the web page (buttons, results of vote scraping) -> good UX
  • Everything can be ran on the client, no need to maintain any backends (why do we need any backend at all? we don't need to store any data, we're just pulling data from mafiascum) -> low complexity/maintenance
time to brush up on JavaScript folks!
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #2) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:06 pm

Post by yessiree »

echo what others have said about pagetopper, I don't think a centralized backend solution is a good idea. Having to manage user credentials and auth cookies sounds like a security disaster waiting to happen

I also don't think a client side solution by itself is gonna work either. Since for it to work properly, the program needs to run 24/7. I don't think anyone keeps their computer on 24/7. Realistically we design a client side pagetopper and teach people how to deploy it to a hosting service (like heroku) but maybe that's a topic for another time
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #3) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:55 pm

Post by yessiree »

im pretty sure "client side" just means code is ran on the browser client and not in some deployed backend service that is always running. It's meant to be used by the moderator only, and not by the players
and the tool should just help collect votes and present it for the mod to post in the thread, whenever they need to generate a VC
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (isolation #4) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:44 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 72, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 68, yessiree wrote: echo what others have said about pagetopper, I don't think a centralized backend solution is a good idea. Having to manage user credentials and auth cookies sounds like a security disaster waiting to happen
Auth isn't the issue as you can use a service like Clerk to manage the entire thing for you (for web technologies anyway, for that specific example)
Can Clerk manage third party auth credentials? (I'm talking about logging in to ms and storing the session cookie)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”