Linux Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
McEndu
McEndu
he
Goon
McEndu
he
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he

Post Post #32 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:31 am

Post by McEndu »

In post 26, Who wrote: As someone with an NVidia graphics card, I don't appreciate Debian's habit of putting barriers in the way of obtaining drivers, and that's pushing me towards Ubuntu.

Arch and Gentoo, especially if Manjaro isn't an option, seem like a lot of work for no payoff. Customizability is nice but I've been told that everything can be customized, Arch and Gentoo are just special in that they force you to choose everything yourself to start with as opposed to starting with presets and changing things later. The rolling releases may not be that unstable but as a newbie I'd rather the total stability of something like Debian. My familiarity with bash/zshell is that approximately once a month I find sed useful, so if I'm talking to a normal person I can call myself capable of using using the terminal but if I'm talking to someone who uses Gentoo I know absolutely nothing.
Latest release of Debian bundles firmware, not sure how much it would improve the driver situation
In post 30, Skygazer wrote: yeah the more think on it, using arch/gentoo has definitely been more of a hobby rather than just a means to an end, which is how i imagine most people want to use their computers lol

eventually i want to attempt a linux from scratch install :eyes: but i probably wouldn't use that as my daily driver, i'll probably just have it as a lil project on one of the old laptops my job let me borrow
I think there are far less regular LFS users than regular Gentoo users, because of how LFS is meant to be set up. I have installed LFS on a VM before and I would never install it again.

(not to mention that there is a trend, started by Gentoo and followed by LFS, of completely dropping eudev for systemd's udev which, while still working even without systemd, is far harder to compile manually alone)
Everyone believes in what they deem truth, truly true or not.

Return to “General Discussion”