Song Contest 209 (Results are up!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:11 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

/in
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:54 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

Spoiler: Opinionation

Australia - The Old Man's Back Again:
I like this one a lot. It's got a real solid groove going, like the dread building, and it's driven by an incredible voice. Very strong start

Barbados - Cobra (Rock Remix):
I haven't really listened to Megan Thee Stallion before, because rap isn't typically my thing, and her whole aesthetic kinda puts me off it, but this one hit for me. I did check the original to see if it was just the genre shift that made the difference, and while I do vastly prefer this version, the original also impressed me. I was surprised how much was actually refactored for the rock version, and it all works pretty well. Megan knows how to put force behind the lines, and of course the subject matter meshes well with the heavier instrumentation. I am a bit worried about my YouTube algorithm now though...

Sudan - Escaping The City:
For some reason I couldn't get the link to work in Firefox and had to open it in Chrome. Fortunately, the song was good enough to make up for the inconvenience! I really appreciate this flavor of guitar effects, and while the vocal performance feels a bit generic, that isn't really a bad thing because he nails it, just that I don't think I'd be able to distinguish it from most of the genre. A very fun listen, would probably get tossed in a playlist if I ever had the energy to make those anymore.

Scythia - Skeletons:
I am a simple man-adjacent person. I like skeletons and I like pirates. Easy points from me, and it certainly doesn't hurt that this is very well put together. Jaunty tunes, grim lyrics, raspy harmonies, an accordion is there, checks all the boxes. 10/10 would plunder to.

Chile - Is It Love?:
I like the chill melancholy vibes, but that's about all that's going on here for me. My ears can't really parse the lyrics, and though the voice and instrumentation are both nice, they don't really stand out to me, except for a couple of the melodies that I'm sure I've heard somewhere before (not a bad thing). It's good, but unremarkable.

Antarctica - What Doesn't Kill You Will Make You A Killer (Mine!):
So, I was conflicted when picking this one because there are actually several versions with different names that each do different things really well, as well as a ton of other Rabbit Junk songs that I actually like more, but I decided on this one because I think the sudden shift in style halfway through hits best in this version and really sells the dichotomy between the somewhat monotonous rut of the initial phase, the layering on top of it, and the sudden breakout into more energetic metal riffs, and figured it would make for interesting reactions.

Italy - Snapdragon:
Ah man, I love the weird experimental shit like this. Minimalist rhythms at the start do well to grab attention, then with the transition to the vocals I found myself appreciating them but wishing there was more interesting instrumentation happening, and then the "bad" squeaky brass comes in, and all the other layers pile on and blend impossibly well into a cohesive soundscape, it's all just really good and unlikely to leave my head for the night.

Zanarkand - Retreat:
Sick, another weird one. Doesn't hold anything back from the start, and I do enjoy the somewhat crunchier synths mixed with the haunting string work. Sounds like that kinda weird specific flavor of anxiety you sometimes get in dreams. Sadly with it being so busy, I wasn't able to pick out the lyrics much, but this was another excellent track.

Mount Celeste - Snow Day:
Always enjoy Hyper Potions. I like the pseudo-chiptune aesthetic blended with more modern sounds, and the upbeat bouncy vibes are of course very pleasant. I do think this one was a little repetitive at times, some measures repeating just a few too many times, but the end where the synths fade away into more organic guitar was a nice change of pace to close on. The repetition probably wouldn't have bugged me if I were doing something else as well as listening.

New Zealand - Empress:
I WANT to like this one, but I can't. The instrumental during the verses and bridge is excellent, but I cannot stand this man's voice, and I don't the like the way the instrumental turns into generic pop sounds with the chorus, and on top of that I don't vibe with lyrics where the singer wants forgiveness for cheating, just makes my skin crawl.

Mali - For Your Heart:
YouTube claimed the video was unavailable, but I was able to find another one claiming to be the same song. It's pretty good though! I do think it takes a bit too long to get going (ironic given my own submission, I know), but the different layers all complement each other well when they arrive, and managed to drag me into it.

eSwatini - Loss of Hope:
For a song called loss of hope, I sure kept hoping for more. It's a relatively simple composition, but it's catchy, and the variety of instruments that go into it and the way they scale it back and forth at all the right times really goes a long way, and I never felt bored with it. Seems like it'd be incredibly cool to catch something like this live.

Portugal - What Gives:
This one doesn't really do it for me. I don't like this style of singing, there's not enough energy or variety to keep my attention, just five minutes of ambiguous sad vibes and thirty seconds of ambient noise.
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!

Return to “General Discussion”