Townplay Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:18 am

Post by Klick »

In post 1, DragonEater70 wrote: I'll start with a question: I noticed that sometimes as town I get into a gamestate where it's late in Day 1, or even Day 2, and I don't reallt feel I have any solid scumreads. Or alternatively I feel I have too many townreads and I know some of them are wrong but can't tell which. I'm curious to know: Does anybody else experience this? How do you guys deal with this situation? Is there any way to proactively avoid it happening in the first place?
I also experience this very commonly, and I've been experimenting with solutions to this problem that I'm happy with

I find the extent to which this is a problem is really dependent on read accuracy, how well I'm defining my townreads, and how much influence I want/need to have on the game. It's okay to be wrong if it's early and you're not trying to control the elimination - your wrong reads can e.g. springboard a useful conversation about certain players, or make your mindset clear to help people townread you. And that sounds like the phase of the game you're talking about.

If you're specifically aiming to be more accurate in your solving earlier on though and find you're townreading too many players, then I essentially agree with Dannflor - be more stringent in defining your townreads. If you know you're most likely wrong somewhere, then really dig into your reasons for townreading everyone and decide which ones truly hold value, and which you should discard (or even just cast aside momentarily - you still might not be wrong on some of those reads!).
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 am

Post by Klick »

In post 5, Psyche wrote:Honestly, I think sheeping is too easily defaulted to -- and sometimes a waste of an opportunity to play the game you signed up.
If you don't agree with someone's reasons for doing something, using that to start a discussion is better for both you
and
that person than just letting them have their way.
Maybe sheep people to help sort or when forced by deadline, but personally if I don't have a confident scumread I'm staying unvoted until I do.
I think there's skill in identifying when it's best to sheep and when it's best to push something independently, and being able to flex between both to get value

I think for every player who sheeps too often, there are at least two who are too stubborn to sheep when it would be useful.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”