Why did newbie games end?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/Her

Why did newbie games end?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:49 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

Being a new player feels like starting every game ten steps behind and there’s nothing you can do to catch up. Anything you say can be dismissed based off of meta reads and anything you do can be misaligned because no one knows you and jumps straight to thinking it has to be bad. There is also an air of more experienced players looking down on new players, not being taken seriously, and feeling like your opinions don’t matter. You try to have fun and joke a little? You’re wrong. You play seriously and try to solve? You’re wrong. You get upset when you get treated differently based on your perceived experience? You’re wrong.

So what’s the best way to stop being treated like a “less than”? Just endure it? Leave the forum? Get over it?
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am

Post by KayJayQueue »

Seems like the consensus is that new players have to conform to make the community accept them. Can’t say that’s going to be the best policy if you want to gain a newer player base at any point in the future.

And I disagree wholeheartedly that these actions aren’t due to elitism. But we are all allowed to have our opinions. Mine just happens to be coming from first hand experiences over the past month.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 am

Post by KayJayQueue »

All the suggestions here seem to be what new players can do to help themselves be more accepted and comfortable instead of looking at how the current players treat new players in these games.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

Yes but you’re putting the onus entirely on new players with your perspective. It shouldn’t be our job to capitulate to more seasoned players and their unfair treatment because it’s a social game. I’m happy to meet in the middle of the other side were willing but in my limited experience here, that’s not likely to happen. The reliance on meta is crippling.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

If anyone at all wants to run a newbie game, I’d love to join.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

I appreciate your input very much, Psyche. Thank you.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:55 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

In post 23, Firebringer wrote:
In post 8, KayJayQueue wrote: All the suggestions here seem to be what new players can do to help themselves be more accepted and comfortable instead of looking at how the current players treat new players in these games.
easier to change yourself than others
This just feels very dismissive of my point of view.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

In post 32, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: i realize 30 might be overly critical of players who heavily use meta.

i should add some context - i myself very much use meta all the time. I am familiar with a large number of people on this site and i know some of them very well to the point that i am probably not going to misread them like at all except in very rare circumstances(shoutout to my boy Bell)

and it is tough to treat every game as a blank slate when you know your friends so well. like im not going to forget all my knowledge of how my buddies play just to start from scratch because it makes no sense to do that.

so me and you if we were in a game together and both town aligned might approach solving a slot a different way - and i probably would be dismissive of your read of a slot if i think i know better how this player behaves in a multitude of situations because I have experience with them that you simply lack. and yea thats not an even playing field nor is it fair but i dont know if theres like an easy solution to fix that.

you're right that its unfun and not a good situation - i hope your experiences get better. in my experience the vast majority of players on this site are playing in good faith and wont just outright dismiss someone because they are a "newbie" etc.
I appreciate the candor and self-awareness of your post. I hope the experiences get better as well.
KayJayQueue
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
KayJayQueue
She/Her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm

Post by KayJayQueue »

I appreciate that reply so much.